Flat Battery after two weeks at Airport

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
thecrofter
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Tracker, Recaro Seats, Pano Roof, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Black Gloss Folding Mirrors

Flat Battery after two weeks at Airport

Post by thecrofter »

As the title says, after two weeks holiday and my R being parked at Manchester Airport T1/T3 mid-stay car park, I returned to the car in the early hours of Sunday morning to find the battery completely flat. Had to open the drivers door with the key to get access and then realised I couldn't open the passenger door from inside let alone get any dashboard light activity.

The local breakdown firm contracted by AXA Rescue (Motordrive) arrived after about 30 minutes - not bad considering I was quoted 60-90 mins it being a Sunday and all. A quick jump from his portable battery pack got it started in seconds. Mechanic said it was most likely due to the car alarm being triggered by the aircraft noise and the hazard lights subsequently draining the battery. He reckoned this was a common occurrence with sensitive alarms. I didn't think mine was particularly sensitive as I've never even heard it go off before. So, is this a plausible explanation?

What does the standard alarm do? Does it sound the horn or is it a separate siren? How long before it shuts off? It's never occurred to me before but how would you test it?

After having no problems at any other airport before including Birmingham, Heathrow T5, Gatwick North, Manchester T1 Long Stay, I'll be a tad more careful when choosing any car park in future that is as close to the flight path as I was just. Food for thought?

To compound my misfortune, on arrival at home we found out the Wife's Mini had been broken into - but that's another story
2.0 TSi 280 R DSG Rising Blue / April 15 - 11 March 20
2.0 TDi 170 DSG R-Line Indium Grey / June 12 - April 15
2.0 GT TDi 170 DSG Salsa Red / May 10 - June 12
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Flat Battery after two weeks at Airport

Post by Cuprabob »

The standard alarm is a separate siren located behind the offside front wing. When the alarm is triggered it should sound for around a minute along with flashing the hazards / indicators. Once the alarm stops sounding the hazards / indicators continue to flash.

You can test the function by leaving a window down and locking the car. After a period stick your hand in and wave it in front of the interior sensors above the rear view mirror. Also a sharp.kick to the front offside tyre should also set it off.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Re: Flat Battery after two weeks at Airport

Post by Roy_01 »

It has no shock sensor but the rest is true. And i don't think ultrasonic sensor pick up airplane noise.
But when its really hot inside the car the can go off when too sensitive.
Maybe you can check current when the car is in rest.