Some Checks On New Car Collection

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Some Checks On New Car Collection

Post by wigit »

We've had a few queries regarding things to look out for on delivery, the attached list is somewhat long and a start, its easy to neglect things when collecting

1 Check all the optional extras and Ipod cable
2 Full Spacesaver Sparewheel in boot
3 Check the condition of all the bodywork, wheels and interior, fog lights for stone chips
4 Marks on wheels from lashing ratchet strap from the transporter lorry
5 Look very carefully for any small dents or chips. Crouch low and look along the sides of the vehicle and all around for anything out of the ordinary. If the car is outside and it has been raining tell the dealer you will be inspecting the car as soon as it is dry as you wouldn't see anything small if wet.
6 Check panel allignment
7 Check the fit of the doors and boot
8 Have a good look at the seats and the fit of all the trim inside.
9 Check the transport blocks have been removed from the suspension springs
10 Manuals in holder and books have been stamped by the dealer
11 Make sure all other documents are in the vehicle wallet
12 Radio security code has been inputted and you have the number etc
13 Make sure there are no stray rags/cloths in the engine compartment.
14 Smoking Pack/Non smoking pack (which ever you ordered)
15 Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation
16 Check the service regime
17 Check the bolt caps have been inserted in the holes on the wheels
18 Key adapter for locking wheel nuts (should be in the boot, with the spare wheel)
19 Two keys with remote locking functions, plus plastic key tag - with serial number, for ordering replacement key if necessary.
20 When you get the car home check the tyre pressures
21 Drive home with enormous smile on your face and enjoy :D
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
CTRnutter
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Re: Some Checks On New Car Collection

Post by CTRnutter »

check wipers dont smear

check the usb cable is there along with the ipod cable

dont be suprised by the dents on the sills (they mark the jack points) :)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

andy wrote:20 When you get the car home check the tyre pressures
But only once the tyres have cooled down lots.
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR »

andy wrote:We've had a few queries regarding things to look out for on delivery, the attached list is somewhat long and a start, its easy to neglect things when collecting

13 Make sure there are no stray rags/cloths in the engine compartment.
15 Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation

only if you bought your car from a dodgy looking guy down some alley way, give the vw sales and service some credit

19 Two keys with remote locking functions, plus plastic key tag - with serial number, for ordering replacement key if necessary.

the key tag is not required for replacement keys and the serial number has nothing to do with it either. New blip keys are kept in stock and are programmed to the car. The metal blades are ordered through the vw system and come cut to the vehicles key number
:D
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

I'm not sure of its priority but I was driving back to 250 miles away from the garage so I thought I better test the Horn as I left the dealer- last thing you want is to go back to the dealer or worse take your car to a dealer whom you didn't purchase your 1 day old car from.

I also tested my Cruise control as it was retro fitted (of course they checked it after they fitted it but still worth checking)

I was thorough on the detail - I got the dealer to fix the headlining as it wasn't flush near the reading lights - also go him to push in the light sensor in the middle of the dash as it wasn't level, he also cleaned off some of the sticky residue left over by the covers for the transporter - it was visible on my rear lights and at first I thought is that some of my Candy White paint peeling off?? - salesman quickly fixed it,

Taking someone with you always helps to run through this list, I had my brother who kind of helped back up any issues that I wasn't happy with (although there was nothing that the dealer wasn't happy to rectify :yes: )

I know it's not a Ferrari that has been assembled by hand but why by a brand new car if it has imperfections - if you are willing to settle for anything less than perfect then you should have saved yourself some cash and bought a demo or 2nd hand motor.
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

BAIKAR wrote:
andy wrote:15 Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation
only if you bought your car from a dodgy looking guy down some alley way, give the vw sales and service some credit
Andy does have a point though, before my Scirocco I bought a Golf (54 plate) from a VW dealer, when it came to selling my car privately the buyer picked up on the 1 previous owner and said it says here it was first registered in 24th August as on 04 plate - why have you put a 54 plate on it????

I was baffled that I didn't pick up on this clerical error when I purchased the car but I quickly came up with the excuse that the dealer filled out the info early and the first owner must have collected a few days later to get the 54 plate on it!

Fortunately the buyer believed my and bought my car (not that there was anything dodgy about it), hence I now own a Scirocco.
greenstick
In: Rising Blue
Options: Black Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB Radio, Folding Mirrors, Carpet Mats, Flat Tyre Sensor, Smokers Pack

Post by greenstick »

andy wrote: 15 Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation
When I worked for an insurance broker years ago, a customers car was written off.

Turned out the number plate had been switched with an identical car (Nissan Bluebird) when he bought it. Customer had to wait until the DVLA tracked down the other vehicle (that should have had his plate) and sorted the paperwork before the insurer would pay out.

And we all know how fast the DVLA work
Geoff Hibbert
In: Deep Black
Options: Sat Nav, 18" Charleston Wheels, 15mm Eibach Spacers, Cruise, couple of doors, a few tyres, hammerite calipers (chavtatsic) exhaust pipe things too and a silvery GT badge.

Post by Geoff Hibbert »

The DVLA are well slow, I've been waiting over two weeks now for my cherished plate to be transferred over!!
hama

Post by hama »

Two weeks to change a reg over? You should've visited your VRO, they make it official immediately, reprint your tax disc and arrange a new V5 for you.
sumatra brown
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Sumatra
Options: everything except leather and navi

Post by sumatra brown »

Is it right that the ipod cable should come with the car?

True or false,why?

My car only came with the MDI-USB cable.
Herby44
Options: Parking sensors

Post by Herby44 »

Mine had both ready and waiting on collection. Had checked with the dealer beforehand having read about the problems here but dealer confirmed you should get both
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

In the UK you get both USB and Ipod cables. USB cable was loose and in the armrest. My Ipod cable was still in its plastic wrapper and placed in the glovebox.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Xcal
In: Deep Black
Options: Highline Plus (Panoramic Roof, Climatronic, Cruise Control), Advance Pack(Xe Lights, Folding Mirrors), Dynamic Pack(Fog Lights, Tinted Windows, Donington, Alu Pedals, Catch Up Titan Black, Premium Mats), Tyre Leak Indicator, Premium Phone Pack, No Tags, Alarm, Parking Sensors

Post by Xcal »

Some spots to check for damage: http://www.scirocco-club.nl/forum/index ... 563#msg563

Several people had those scratches, they're said to be from carelessly loading onto/unloading off of a transporter.
And the wait continues... :kickcan:
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

Nice find there, i must check them when i take delivery.
joe4186
Options: Cruise Contol, Winter Pack, Dynaudio, Mats, Parking Sensors, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by joe4186 »

im just wondering what is the accetable amount of delivery mileage on a new vw, previous cars from other manufacturers have been around the 9miles mark?
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

joe4186 wrote:im just wondering what is the accetable amount of delivery mileage on a new vw, previous cars from other manufacturers have been around the 9miles mark?
All the new cars I've had have had somewhere between about 5 and 15 miles on the clock.

Deacon
playing in my '86
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

joe4186 wrote:im just wondering what is the accetable amount of delivery mileage on a new vw, previous cars from other manufacturers have been around the 9miles mark?
Here you go............
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... les#p32463" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Gilez
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Post by Gilez »

Had 10 miles on mine.

Another thing to look for is blistering of the lacquer/paint on under the wheel arches (front in my case that hopefully will be sorted very soon under warranty) and I guess anywhere else where the paint is slightly thicker - all panel edges effectively. I notice mine when checking that the blocks were removed from the from suspension. If it wasnt for this thread, I would have missed the paint problem. http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =37&t=4519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also had a scuff to the finish on the drivers side sill where someone had obviously knocked it with their foor getting in/out.
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!
Honeywell1945

Post by Honeywell1945 »

maisbitt wrote:In the UK you get both USB and Ipod cables. USB cable was loose and in the armrest. My Ipod cable was still in its plastic wrapper and placed in the glovebox.
Can you explain what these cables are for please ?

I'm buying a Scirocco within 6 -8 weeks , our other car is a Passat CC & that came with no cables whatsoever , it has a standard 3.5mm jack in the armrest area so I assume that has something to do with the RCD510 .

Thanks
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Hi Honeywell1945,

Welcome to the Forum.

This will help explain. The USB is similar.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/roccop ... Connection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... usb#p26853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RCD510 handbook is here...
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... b&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you put "USB" or "Ipod" or "SD card" into the search in the top right of the screen, there a few topics to get yourself familiar with.

Chris
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!