Polish/pad combo

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
Pr27
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Neuspeed P-flo induction, infinity exhaust.

Polish/pad combo

Post by Pr27 »

Having some trouble using DA for the first time

The kit i have got at the mo is-
Challenge xtreme da
-Koch chemie heavy cut
-Koch Chemie micro cut/polish
-Menzerna Powerfinish 2400
-Menzerna Final Finish 3800

Pads-
Hex logic, orange,white,blue and black

I have moderate swirls in the car and jumped straight in with the heavy cut and orange pad with heavy cut followed by blue pad and micro cut. I am finding after doing this i have lots of tiny swirls left, i think the correct term is spiderwebbing.

Could anybody please advise how to remove with what products i have?

Also would you ever use a cutting compound with a finishing pad? Or do you just stick to cutting pads with cutting compound and polishes with polish pads /finishing pads??

Alot to ask thete but i would appreciate any help :)

Thanks
nazpatel
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box
Options: bi-xenons
winter pack
truffle leather
pano roof
19' black lugano & styling pack
parking sensors.

Re: Polish/pad combo

Post by nazpatel »

Sounds to me like you are not getting enough cut with the orange pad and heavy cut combo, how many sets of this have you done before doing the blue and micro set?
are you checking your work after each set with a panel wipe/ipa wipe?
without looking at it, its all guess work from me,
what i would suggest is you go back over the same spot with the heavy combo, checking after each set until your happy with the finish, then go over with the blue pad and micro polish, to polish out the compounding marks, and then finish off with either menz polish, test to see which one gives you better results, using the black finishing pad.

you can mix and match as much as you want nothings set in stone, just play about with different pad/polish combos until you find one that gives you the results your happy with.

HTH
Pr27

Post by Pr27 »

So just did the one pass with the heavy cut, then a couple with the micro. Could it be im not refining enough?
I check as best i can, but withwhite its so hard to see!

Im also going on speed 6 (fastest setting) so maybe need to go slower and work it longer.
nazpatel
winter pack
truffle leather
pano roof
parking sensors.

Post by nazpatel »

No mate you need to go with the heavy more then once until all the swirls have been removed, because it sounds to me like the heavy set is not heavy enough to cut through the swirls in one go. Once you have done that then go over with the second step, and then you can finish off with the third step to finish.

Basically your removing defects with the first heavy set or sets (compounding) the second step is going to remove any hazing or micro marring left by the first step (polishing) then your last step will remove any hazing left by the second and refine the paint further and make it pop!

I’m not too sure on the da you are using, how powerful it is or what speed 6 is in actual opm’s, I would drop the speed to 4/4.5 make the work area smaller for the first stage and as you go up in stages but down in cut you can generally work a slightly bigger area.
Pr27

Post by Pr27 »

I think thats the trouble, im trying to work out the difference between swirls and micro marring. So the da i have is 2000-6000rpm. Its only a basic one but seems to work well.

Appreciate your help by the way so thanks!
nazpatel
winter pack
truffle leather
pano roof
parking sensors.

Post by nazpatel »

The difference between swirls and micro marring is swirls show up like round circles and get bigger the further you go micro marring will br like lots off little ticks bunched up.