Strange pop/clunk when turning corners

Everything about the R for potential owners.
sciroc87
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Sunroof

Strange pop/clunk when turning corners

Post by sciroc87 »

Hoping someone may be able to tell me what is wrong with my R. Here is a video:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sound in question can be heard at the 4s mark, (ignore the sound of mints moving around just after the pop). It is a pop/clunk that is evident especially when turning hard left. Sometimes also heard on acceleration/deceleration. Seems to be coming from front right of the car.

Had the car since basically new, this sound started appearing after the car was about 2 years old. VW couldn't offer any advice.

Has anyone come across this? Any help is appreciated.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Re: Strange pop/clunk when turning corners

Post by Roy_01 »

Very weird noise, it almost sounds like 2 short clunks or a load of debris that is hitting something. Put it on a ramp and check the car from unterneath.
Wheel bearings, clearance of the wheel in the wheelarch, brake discs, pads, steering bar, driveshaft, support arm/bars., suspension.
It's very difficult to pinpoint the exact location from in the car but you must not point out other location.
Never had a broken window or something where there has been left glass in the doors or something laying loose in the trunk or behind the dashboard that has come loose?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Broken spring / strut top bearing / outer CV joint would be my guess.
nazpatel
In: Candy White
Options: bi-xenons
winter pack
truffle leather
pano roof
19' black lugano & styling pack
parking sensors.

Post by nazpatel »

It’s most likely the subframe issues most mk5 platform cars suffer. Nothing to worry about i have the same issue on my car.
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-bran ... 5-mk6-etc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nazpatel
In: Candy White
Options: bi-xenons
winter pack
truffle leather
pano roof
19' black lugano & styling pack
parking sensors.

Post by nazpatel »

http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspension/ch ... 2-audi-tt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sciroc87
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Sunroof

Post by sciroc87 »

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. Will definitely look into the subframe issue, glad that i am not alone.
Babajang
In: Indium Grey

Post by Babajang »

is the noise the wierd, spring like noise, it happened twice in the vid, or the quietish clunk?

I had a DDC damper go once on my old scirocco after lowering it.. it made some thuds not going around corners but over speed bumps / road imperfections.

Another reason for clunks is when the suspension spring isnt seated correctly in the top mount (i think thats what its called)