Scirocco oil temp high, followed by low coolant alarm.

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
souster4
I drive a: R-Line

Scirocco oil temp high, followed by low coolant alarm.

Post by souster4 »

Hi guys.

Went out in my tdi scirocco this evening. Only town driving really of approx 10 miles. The oil temperature seemed a lot higher than normal to me, sitting at 100 around town. Which I was driving steady, 30mph and under. Pushed it a little harder on the way home, 2 miles of duel carriage way, and the temperature seemed to raise to about 120, I forgot to check it digitally. Which seems very hot for what I was doing, I drove it hard for about half a mile max, and even then it wasn't hard compared to how I've driven it before.

Anyway, came to pull on my drive, and the low coolant alarm sounded, and the dash said check coolant. So I've let the engine cool down, and all levels are fine.

Any ideas? The car is still under warranty by 2 months, so want to nip any problem in the bud while I can.

Thanks in advance.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Re: Scirocco oil temp high, followed by low coolant alarm.

Post by Roy_01 »

Broken waterpump?
souster4
I drive a: R-Line

Post by souster4 »

Bang on Roy. Water pump had seized. VW covered it under warranty. Pretty bad that it's failed though imo, only 15k on the clock.

Do you think it's worth having the oil changed been as it got to that temperature? Should I have to foot the bill for that?

Cheers.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Waterpump is driven off the cambelt so if it was seized you were lucky it didn't break the belt. Ensure the garage replace the cambelt and tensioner and record it in the service history to give you the full 5 years before it needs replaced again.

If the oil only briefly got to 120 degrees then it will be fine.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

Luckily you still have warranty but sad it broke that soon.
The best is to change the waterpump every time you need a new timing belt.
Then the extra cost arent that much.
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Cuprabob wrote:Waterpump is driven off the cambelt so if it was seized you were lucky it didn't break the belt. Ensure the garage replace the cambelt and tensioner and record it in the service history to give you the full 5 years before it needs replaced again.

If the oil only briefly got to 120 degrees then it will be fine.
That's why they are plastic water pumps .

They seize and it generally breaks the pump further and not the rest of the engine :)
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography