My13.5 R - new purchase

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Aussie Roc
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: APR stage 1 ECU
APR DSG tune
VWR cai
Flow design front splitter.

My13.5 R - new purchase

Post by Aussie Roc »

Hi All,

Tomorrow I will be picking up a 13.5 Scirocco R, subject to a mechanics pre purchase inspection.
Hoping it turns out mechanically sound as it ticks all my criteria boxes.
If all goes well it will be the first Euro car I will own.
I have driven Subaru WRX/Sti since 1999 and traded a mint 03 Sti for the Roc.
I was blown away by the standard performance and would say that it felt faster than my Sti which is tuned for 180kw atw.

Anyhow if all goes well I look forward to dealing with the Rocco crew.
Have had a massive crash course in researching these cars in the last 48hrs.

Al.
tigger73
Options: RD Technik stage 2

Re: My13.5 R - new purchase

Post by tigger73 »

Congratulations on the new car.

I'm guessing by your forum name you're a fellow Aussie...

Be interested in your thoughts/feedback after jumping out of a WRX/STI.
2016 Scirocco R - RD Technik Stage 2 ECU, Stage 3 DSG, 3" turbo-back exhaust, forge DV, R8 coil packs, 220kwaw
Aussie Roc
APR DSG tune
VWR cai

Post by Aussie Roc »

Hey T

Thanks mate,
Spent a full day with the car and I can't believe how quick and well built it is for a stock car.
It checked out except for condensation in the drivers side tail light. Dealer has assured me it will be sorted. For what I assumed was a hairdressers car it turns out to be a more heavy duty than I thought.
I dare say it's a better car than the GD (01 - 07) sti. It could be that's its newer, it could be that I'm 40 y.o and I have considered that the current sti still uses the same engine it has for years so there is no progression. Rear vision is absolute shit in the Roc, but hey it looks way better than any Golf. Once my funds clear I'm off to pick it up.
Thanks, Al
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

The rear view may be "restrictive" but hey, if it's behind you in your R, it'll probably STAY behind you ! !

I hope you enjoy the car.

D
(from both the Northern hemisphere and also the Wayoutofsphere...)
Baptised with Aerosmith
Aussie Roc
APR DSG tune
VWR cai

Post by Aussie Roc »

Thanks D
Just waiting on this lazy broker to hurry up with the remaining finance and it's mine.

I'll post back once I have it.

Cheers - Al.
Aussie Roc
APR DSG tune
VWR cai

Post by Aussie Roc »

It took a while but I finally got there.
Dealer ended up replacing the tail light that had condensation with a new one.
Really enjoy having dsg. Its addictive. It's also bloody hard trying to explain to some that it's NOT like your auto box with +- shift.
I know f/a about these cars so please excuse the ignorance (I'm still learning) but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this querie?
I have always had a vacuume/boost gauge in my turbo cars just to keep an eye on what's going on.
My question is can I fit a standard mechanical boost gauge -
1. Yes
2. No
3. It's not a jap racer, why would you do that?
4. Who still uses a mechanical boost gauge, it's not 1997
I did a search but was still not 100% after sifting through the info I came across.
TIA
Al.
SciroccoCW
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Oryx White
With a: Manual box
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Post by SciroccoCW »

This is one of the nicer looking ones;

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/ ... cirocco-r/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have seen some boost gauges retro fitted. Use the search box (top right) of this page and you'll find a few threads.

It's the 2014+ models which have the oil / timer / boost gauges mounted on the dash from factory.

tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

Answer is yes you can fit a boost gauge. The facelift MY15+ actually has 3 pods on the dash - oil temp, lap timer and boost. I find the oil temps useful to keep an eye on before giving it a boot, but barely look at my boost gauge to be honest.

You can get a mechanical guage for sure but there's a couple of nice OBD "gauges" that you can get.

P3 vent gauge: http://www.p3cars.com/shop/vw/vw-sciroc ... ent-gauge/

PolarFIS+: http://www.auto-polar.com/product/polar ... tion-pf03/

The P3 vent gauge obviously sits in your air vent and does block half of it off so if you like air flow it can be a downside.

The PolarFIS uses the Multi-function display and can display around 180 different engine diagnostics parameters which are programmable on multiple screens. It's a lot more powerful/customisable than the P3 vent gauge.

Or you can go for a boost gauge... but that's not really the Euro way to do it - it's a bit JDM ;)
2016 Scirocco R - RD Technik Stage 2 ECU, Stage 3 DSG, 3" turbo-back exhaust, forge DV, R8 coil packs, 220kwaw
Aussie Roc
APR DSG tune
VWR cai

Post by Aussie Roc »

Thanks very much for your responses.
I love the vent gauges and any further info beyond vaccume/boost will be a bonus for me.
I do however think that if I'm going to start tinkering with this car I may just be better off with the PolarFIS. I promised myself no mods but hey I don't think I've adhered to this ever.
Hmmmm decisions.
Looks like I've got some reading to do.
Thanks again guys.
Al.
tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

I had a PolarIS+ in my previous VW (Tiguan) and it was a useful bit of kit. Haven't felt the need for it in the Scirocco as I have most of the info I use with the additional pod gauges (but I have a MY16).