Someone reversed into me - Front Bumper/Headlight Damage

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
TobyKad
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Someone reversed into me - Front Bumper/Headlight Damage

Post by TobyKad »

Hey all,

First post on here!

I was minding my own business playing tennis at the weekend and when I left to return to my car I found a note on my car and some damage to my front.
Turns out - in an empty car park a woman managed to reverse into my driver's side front, damaging my front bumper and headlight.

https://ibb.co/hsa9Ja
https://ibb.co/k1P3da
https://ibb.co/g0tJBv
https://ibb.co/hABujF

VW quoted £1649 with a bunch of completely unnecessary repairs including 'repair bonnet' even though it wasn't touched at all, getting a second quote tomorrow morning, but I wanted to know what you guys might've thought a realistic estimate of the repairs would come to?

Also - how easy is it the take the front bumper and headlight out and reposition them myself, because it just looks like they've been popped out of place.

It's a 2011 GT TSI.

thanks!
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Re: Someone reversed into me - Front Bumper/Headlight Damage

Post by Paradox1 »

Thats a ridiculous price. VW are probably charging you to replace the parts rather than repair them.

the damage isnt that bad tbh. Yes you can undo the bumper. bolts in the wheel arches and under the front bumper. I reckon about £500 at a guess
SciroccoCW
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Oryx White
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Post by SciroccoCW »

A note on your car? Did they leave contact details? or just leave some piss take note to say 'Sorry I fucked your car' ?

Claim off her insurance if she left contact details!
TobyKad

Post by TobyKad »

Yeah - thought as much, second quote should be more realistic.

She left her name and number and I've contacted her.

Problem is - last year I had my car written off by a girl pulling out of a junction into me, now this year I've had this happen, the first claim put my insurance up lots even as a non-fault claim, now a second claim even through her insurance is going to skyrocket my insurance - so I really want to get this done outside of insurance!
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

Sorry to hear that this lady wanted to get so close to your car.

But I'm confused about the insurance claim thing you mention.

When your previous car was written off, if it was her fault, surely the other driver's insurance should have covered that off without affecting your claims history?

And with this current claim, why do you think you will have a second black mark on your driving record? Am I missing something here?

if the other driver collided with your stationery (empty) Scirocco, and has admitted that they caused the damage then:
a) You'd notify your insurer of the incident, provide them with the details of the other driver
b) Claim off her insurance to get the car fixed, regardless of the price
c) Get confirmation from your insurer that your policy will not be affected by this incident since you are not claiming off your policy

So your car gets sorted - new bits if you like - but you don't suffer.

Assuming I have not overlooked some relevant fact, just make sure that the work done to your car is properly done and no corners cut, with a decent period of warranty cover if the bodyshop screws up.

I had someone clout my parked car back in January and they owned up. I preferred to use a different bodyshop to the one recommended by the other driver's insurance company so my insurer arranged the work, I paid my excess and then recovered that from the other driver's outfit. No claim recorded on my policy, no impact on my renewal premium.
(Good job I didn't use her bodyshop, she was not happy with the work done to her Citroen and it had to be repeated)

Your car is newer than mine !

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
Zanic L3
With a: DSG box
Options: Stage 2, Catless DP, Milltek catback.

Post by Zanic L3 »

Damn that sucks, I'm a maniac at leaving my car at public places, always park far away from everyone or park it on the end of the row.

Sucks for ur car, maybe you can work something out with the woman's insurance?
TobyKad

Post by TobyKad »

@Deagol

Yeah my last claim was off the other driver's insurance - hasn't affect my no claims history, but I still have to declare the accident when I take out an insurance policy

Even though it's a non-fault claim through her insurance it will still put my insurance up won't it?

Or am I missing something too - claims off the 3rd party's insurance still have to be declared don't they?
TobyKad

Post by TobyKad »

Zanic L3 wrote:Damn that sucks, I'm a maniac at leaving my car at public places, always park far away from everyone or park it on the end of the row.

Sucks for ur car, maybe you can work something out with the woman's insurance?

Me too - parked on the end of a row in an empty car park and someone still managed to reverse into me! Madness
Gaz r
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna leather
Rear parking sensors

Post by Gaz r »

TobyKad, unfortunately you're right mate. The way it works is the insurance uses statistics. So there is a chance of a claim when you take out insurance based on certain factors.
If you make a claim regardless of fault then statistically the possibility of you being involved in another accident increases and your insurance price increases accordingly.
If a non-fault claim made no difference then you wouldn't have to declare it.
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

Truth is even though they say your premium wont change it will.
I had someone reverse into my (Parked car) then try and blame me for it :D :D

Spoke with insurance and they got it repairs, yet my insurance went up by 250quid. I think I'll be looking for another insurance company unless adrian Flux can make it right for my renewal
TobyKad

Post by TobyKad »

Got a second quote this morning from a bodyshop - he reckons £800 to repair the parts, no replacements.

Does this seem high - or fair?
SciroccoCW
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Oryx White
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Post by SciroccoCW »

Get a couple more quotes if you can, its worth checking around.

Maybe the woman will just pay for the repairs outright instead of involving insurers at all, because in the end both of you will have higher premiums, more so her.
Astonbarlow
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Full leather interior, heated seats, NAV, Bluetooth, dual climate control, gloss black alloys, piano black trim, gloss black exhaust tips, DAB, DCC.

Post by Astonbarlow »

Id keep getting a few more quotes yet then you can see what the price really should be. Seems quite high still £800. Id expect more like £400+VAT or something, doesn't look like you'll need any replacement bits so should just be a case of cleaning up and painting.
I had someone hit the side of my car when i left it overnight (2 weeks after i bought it). Im unsure how the caused the damage but it had 3 large dents, one at the petrol cap, another drivers door and the final on the front wheel arch. Had to have the whole side repaired and re-sprayed. Cant tell at all now and that set me back around £750, but luckily my mate is a mechanic and managed to get it sorted on the cheaper side for me.
Additionally, the insurance thing usually goes off claim value, so if its a write off that tends to be classed as a higher value than a claim for a repair, so you might find even going through insurance wont affect next years premium.
Youll have to upload some pictures when your pride and joy is back to its shiny self!
TobyKad

Post by TobyKad »

Looking like she only wants to go down the insurance route...

Checked my insurance quotes after adding that second claim and it's gone from £1000 to £2950 :yes: :yes: :yes: :rolleyes:

Would it be a fairly simple job fitting a new bumper and headlight myself if I source the parts? - surely thats gotta cost less than £800?!