45F2 ABS/ESC safety recall

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

45F2 ABS/ESC safety recall

Post by skippy »

I received a letter today from VW advising that my car is subject to a safety recall for the ABS/ESC control unit.

As my car is already 8 years old I was quite surprised, and seems to only be for vehicles manufactured during 2009, not only for the Scirocco but also Golf, Jetta etc.

Anyone else get this? The wording is along the lines of:

On certain vehicles, the ABS/ESC control unit becomes thermally overloaded and the earth connection may be interrupted. If the earth connection is interrupted the ABS/ESC control unit could fail and cannot help to stabilise your vehicle.

I would not have thought there is any panic over this, I will just wait until my next service/MOT is due but I can see it has been raised as a recall in other markets as well such as the USA.
Gaz r
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna leather
Rear parking sensors

Re: 45F2 ABS/ESC safety recall

Post by Gaz r »

Yep, me too. There isn't much information around on this other than for USA/Canada.
There is a workshop guide, which I've read. Here's the link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/R ... 3-6522.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It seems it's just a software update. After the update if an error code is produced a new ABS controller is required, which they will fit.
Sounds simple enough, but the emissions update was supposed to be simple too!
However, if after the update other error codes are produced then you are liable for the ABS controller replacement.

I think I'm going to hold off and see what other owners come back with if they get it done. I stopped using VW franchises because of trust issues a few years ago. I'm a bit dubious to say the least at the moment.
skippy

Post by skippy »

Thanks for the info Gaz. Like yourself I am going to wait and see if there is any feedback relating to this update. I am always concerned that it could introduce a new fault as you alluded to.

My next service is not until March next year anyway.
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

oh so thats what that letter was. I havent got around to opening it yet.

Ok so if this fault happens surely it will just be your ABS traction light comes on?
Thanks for the heads up
C00kie
In: Pewter Grey
Options: heated leather seats, DAB radio, rear privacy glass, rear parking sensors
Mods: Revo stage 1, Tarox G88 discs/Strada pads, Eibach Pro Kit springs, BCS sport catback system, K&N air filter, R8 coilpacks, interior LED lights, OEM LED number plate lights, pressed number plates

Post by C00kie »

Received the same letter yesterday, mine is also a 2009 build. If they apply a software update, is it going to interfere with or over-write my map?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I would have thought the update would be to the ABS controller so should not impact your engine ECU or map.
MisterD
In: Deep Black

Post by MisterD »

Got my letter yesterday booked it in. If I wait it won't ever get done. I know what I'm like. I'll just forget. Will see what happens. Looks like I'm your lots guinea pig??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skippy

Post by skippy »

MisterD wrote:Got my letter yesterday booked it in. If I wait it won't ever get done. I know what I'm like. I'll just forget. Will see what happens. Looks like I'm your lots guinea pig??

Well, I don't think this is anything like the fix that applies to 'dieselgate', I am sure this one will be fine, but yes - I don't intend to take mine in until next service/MOT. Would be interested to get some feedback MisterD when you get it done!
LLD123
Options: Black alloys,
Black badges
K&N air filter

Post by LLD123 »

I Image

I got mine through the post this week too. I haven't yet got on and booked it in but am planning on doing it soon. Well, after it's been in the bodyshop after a colleague put their tow bar through my bumper.

Still be interesting to see how people get on and what actually happens though

Stukos
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box

Post by Stukos »

I also received this letter... Will watch this thread for updates.
davidscirocco
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: panorama tilting roof, electric
"interlagos" alloy wheels
sport pack
RCD 510
air-contition Climatronic with dual- zone climate control, left and right side separately controllable

Post by davidscirocco »

Does this include 1.4 tsi or only 2.0?
skippy

Post by skippy »

davidscirocco wrote:Does this include 1.4 tsi or only 2.0?
Not sure, I would guess it may only be the 2.0 as this recall only seems to apply for models in early 2009. If memory serves me correctly, the 1.4 arrived a few months later in 2009 so may not be affected and it could use a slightly different ABS control unit anyway. Please don't accept this as being definite though!
Stukos
In: Viper Green

Post by Stukos »

If you don't get a letter, then I wouldn't worry about it.
KarmaSumatra

Post by KarmaSumatra »

Paradox1 wrote:Ok so if this fault happens surely it will just be your ABS traction light comes on?
The workshop guide isn't 100% clear, but it sounds like the ABS unit might fail when ABS or ESC activates, not during normal driving. Therefore you would get no warning.

It looks like the software update is intended to change that, so that a warning light appears during normal driving (if the ABS unit is faulty).

The guide also states that they're expecting to have to replace a very small number of ABS units, so it must be quite a rare issue. Either way, get the update done. You don't want your ABS/ESC to fail when you most need it.
JeffW
Options: 260bhp Stage 1 remap, EBC brake upgrade
H&R ARBs, WALK, KW lowering springs,
K&N intake, sports cat down pipe

Post by JeffW »

C00kie wrote:Received the same letter yesterday, mine is also a 2009 build. If they apply a software update, is it going to interfere with or over-write my map?
I asked that question when I booked mine in as mine is remapped too. He said he didn't think so, then, to his credit, went to check just in case. The answer is it won't.

JeffW
Options: 260bhp Stage 1 remap, EBC brake upgrade
H&R ARBs, WALK, KW lowering springs,
K&N intake, sports cat down pipe

Post by JeffW »

C00kie wrote:Received the same letter yesterday, mine is also a 2009 build. If they apply a software update, is it going to interfere with or over-write my map?
I asked that question when I booked mine in as mine is remapped too. He said he didn't think so, then, to his credit, went to check just in case. The answer is it won't.

Bridget2994

Post by Bridget2994 »

Took my Scirocco 2008 GT TSI Tues for this recall. Only had it 2 months and no history of abs fault or repairs in the paperwork. Was running well. Anyway, Told all was ok when collected. Didnt even get out of car park - EML and ABS warning came on. They said initially it was possibly as mechanic hadnt let computer sleep so it could reset? As it turned out - they kept my car and informed me yesterday that the ABS unit had crashed and needed to be replaced! They hadnt experienced this before but apparently VW have. Got it back this evening and so far so good but only done 5 miles so far. Hopefully this wont happen to others as if sounds like my car was an exception. Sorry - not wishing to scaremonger - have a new ABS unit so got to be a good thing?
Bridget.
Addymk2

Post by Addymk2 »

Bridget2994 wrote:Took my Scirocco 2008 GT TSI Tues for this recall. Only had it 2 months and no history of abs fault or repairs in the paperwork. Was running well. Anyway, Told all was ok when collected. Didnt even get out of car park - EML and ABS warning came on. They said initially it was possibly as mechanic hadnt let computer sleep so it could reset? As it turned out - they kept my car and informed me yesterday that the ABS unit had crashed and needed to be replaced! They hadnt experienced this before but apparently VW have. Got it back this evening and so far so good but only done 5 miles so far. Hopefully this wont happen to others as if sounds like my car was an exception. Sorry - not wishing to scaremonger - have a new ABS unit so got to be a good thing?
Bridget.
Have you attempted an emergency stop since the replacement? It may sound a little extreme but I'd try and trigger the ABS now rather than later when they can claim it wasn't there fault. I've just received the letter to get this done so I'll be having mine done in due course, however if it makes the ESP even twitchier I'm hesitant.
Addymk2

Post by Addymk2 »

Bridget2994 wrote:Took my Scirocco 2008 GT TSI Tues for this recall. Only had it 2 months and no history of abs fault or repairs in the paperwork. Was running well. Anyway, Told all was ok when collected. Didnt even get out of car park - EML and ABS warning came on. They said initially it was possibly as mechanic hadnt let computer sleep so it could reset? As it turned out - they kept my car and informed me yesterday that the ABS unit had crashed and needed to be replaced! They hadnt experienced this before but apparently VW have. Got it back this evening and so far so good but only done 5 miles so far. Hopefully this wont happen to others as if sounds like my car was an exception. Sorry - not wishing to scaremonger - have a new ABS unit so got to be a good thing?
Bridget.
Have you attempted an emergency stop since the replacement? It may sound a little extreme but I'd try and trigger the ABS now rather than later when they can claim it wasn't there fault. I've just received the letter to get this done so I'll be having mine done in due course, however if it makes the ESP even more sensitive I'm hesitant.
Bridget2994

Post by Bridget2994 »

Not tried that yet. Its a good idea though- just need RAC on standby lol! Sure it will be fine so will find empty car park and let you know. Feel like a guinea pig haha! Its been fine so far anyway.