Android Head unit

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
IamSteveLyons
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Android Head unit

Post by IamSteveLyons »

Hi guys.
Can anyone recommend a good android Head unit with blueetoth DAB And sat nav?
I have the rns315 but want something that looks newer and had more apps etc. But I don't want it not have all the OEM futures like RDS etc...
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Springs
In: Reflex Silver

Re: Android Head unit

Post by Springs »

i've got the Eonon ga5135f which is made for VW's. they have since released 2 newer versions running newer versions of android. the latest being the ga7153f i believe.

for what it is, it's pretty good although don't expect to turn the car on from cold and start listening to music as they have about 20 - 30 second boot time.

also if you use anything apart from the default music app it won't auto start playing music once it's booted.

for sat nav, i've been using Here maps as it offers an offline mode and you can download all of the UK in one go. you can use google maps but you either have to download the small portion for offline mode or tether / purchase 3g dongle and use it on the internet.
ShawUK
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Android Head unit

Post by ShawUK »

Literally just fitted the new Pumpkin 2GB, not sure on reliability but will be posting my findings once it's settled in. Best thing about Amazon is it can go straight back to them if it's naff.
So far though it's brilliant and boots up quicker than original VW head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
IamSteveLyons

Post by IamSteveLyons »

Thanks,
this look like what I need. does it behave like the oem unit?
does the channel name come up on MFD?
what happens when you reverse does it have the screen for the sensors?
and obv the AC controls.
also what about the steering wheel controls too?
IamSteveLyons

Post by IamSteveLyons »

Springs wrote:i've got the Eonon ga5135f which is made for VW's. they have since released 2 newer versions running newer versions of android. the latest being the ga7153f i believe.

for what it is, it's pretty good although don't expect to turn the car on from cold and start listening to music as they have about 20 - 30 second boot time.

also if you use anything apart from the default music app it won't auto start playing music once it's booted.

for sat nav, i've been using Here maps as it offers an offline mode and you can download all of the UK in one go. you can use google maps but you either have to download the small portion for offline mode or tether / purchase 3g dongle and use it on the internet.
Where did you get yours from?

IamSteveLyons

Post by IamSteveLyons »

Springs wrote:i've got the Eonon ga5135f which is made for VW's. they have since released 2 newer versions running newer versions of android. the latest being the ga7153f i believe.

Where did you get yours from?

Springs

Post by Springs »

originally got mine from ebay, but if you go to their website you can normally get them slightly cheaper as they do "seasonal" sales every now and then
IamSteveLyons

Post by IamSteveLyons »

Springs wrote:originally got mine from ebay, but if you go to their website you can normally get them slightly cheaper as they do "seasonal" sales every now and then
Thanks for the reply. Does the unit show the RDS channel ie radio 1?
Also does it show them on the MFD too?

Finally do the steering wheel controls​ still work ?

Thanks

IamSteveLyons

Post by IamSteveLyons »

Springs wrote:originally got mine from ebay, but if you go to their website you can normally get them slightly cheaper as they do "seasonal" sales every now and then
Thanks for the reply. Does the unit show the RDS channel ie radio 1?
Also does it show them on the MFD too?

Finally do the steering wheel controls​ still work ?

Thanks

Phanc
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black

Post by Phanc »

Hi- I asked the same question about a week ago, and Springs mentioned the Eonen. I have since then bought the ga7153- due to arrive in a few days. I was looking at the pumpkin unit from Amazon but it had mixed reviews on there so I decided to go for this instead! It seems to have a slightly better specification than the others being the latest version of android- also a higher screen resolution but we shall see!
Springs

Post by Springs »

RDS does work with the radio channels i've used. i don't use the radio much tbh.

MFD and steering wheel controls will all work if you use the default radio / music apps

the volume and mute button works regardless. track change only works on specific applications. it might have changed on the later versions.

GPS / BT doesn't show up in the MFD either.

i found that the Golf forum has a page up and it does look like eonon posts on there when new models comes out.

latest: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mooney88
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Night Blue

Post by mooney88 »

Been looking at this one. http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/vw-volkswa ... n-bus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I bought my scirocco 6 months ago I bought a parrot OMG dont do it they are a pile of rubbish.

Been reading a couple feeds that have bought eonon ones but needed a fakra antenna adaptor. Did any of you guys have the same issue with the pumpkin ones?
IamSteveLyons

Post by IamSteveLyons »

I've now seen a Kenwood that looks like it can do the job and it uses android app ... Any one tried this. ? Apparently it puts Google maps on the head unit.

Phanc
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black

Post by Phanc »

mooney88 wrote:Been looking at this one. http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/vw-volkswa ... n-bus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I bought my scirocco 6 months ago I bought a parrot OMG dont do it they are a pile of rubbish.

Been reading a couple feeds that have bought eonon ones but needed a fakra antenna adaptor. Did any of you guys have the same issue with the pumpkin ones?
I considered this unit too but without any physical knobs and buttons on the unit I thought it might be a right faff with a touch screen whilst driving! I've recently installed the eonon ga7153 on my scirocco r, only had a couple of days- seems fine for now. I've downloaded sygic sat nav- that seems to work fine too! The standard music media player is poor but you can download other music apps which are much better but like springs mentioned the steering wheel buttons don't work! Radio works fine! The unit came with a fakra adaptor. Took me 10 mintutes to install the unit!
Urbandurban
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by Urbandurban »

IamSteveLyons wrote:I've now seen a Kenwood that looks like it can do the job and it uses android app ... Any one tried this. ? Apparently it puts Google maps on the head unit.

I'm going for the JVC KW-M730BT, looks solid for a good price. Android Auto, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls etc.
IamSteveLyons

Post by IamSteveLyons »

Urbandurban wrote:
IamSteveLyons wrote:I've now seen a Kenwood that looks like it can do the job and it uses android app ... Any one tried this. ? Apparently it puts Google maps on the head unit.

I'm going for the JVC KW-M730BT, looks solid for a good price. Android Auto, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls etc.
Sounds great. I'll check it out. Does it need a facia or does it fit right in..?

IamSteveLyons

Post by IamSteveLyons »

http://www.roadradio.com/JVC/KW-M730BT/ ... oChl3w_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looked at it. It mentiond auto paring for iPhone but not android

Urbandurban
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by Urbandurban »

IamSteveLyons wrote:
Urbandurban wrote:

Sounds great. I'll check it out. Does it need a facia or does it fit right in..?

You're gonna need one of these sets for everything to work and fit properly. https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ctkvw01 ... g-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;