Maisonian's Carbon Candy

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
Maisonian
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS 510 & Dynaudio Soundpack
19" Talladega Alloys (Gunmetal grey)
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
Kerscher CF Front Lip Spoiler
Maxton Designs CF under runners
Dectane Litec Smoked Rear Lights
Forge Twin-take Induction Kit
GFB DV+
Modified Audi TTs Engine cover & peripherals

Re: Maisonian's Carbon Candy

Post by Maisonian »

vintage67 wrote:Car is looking great Maisonian :yes:
can I just ask if your rear lights all work ok? has the fog light issue been fixed (no longer remain on all the time).

cheers
Thanks Vintage! Yeah, these units work fine; no issues with the fog lights as far as I can see. I believe the later generation of these lights had the kinks worked out, although the information around them isn't exactly clear.

I believe these were the most 'reliable' Dectanes on the market, followed by the LED cluster and then the C-shaped lightbar with 'squares' in the middle. They're all listed as Dectane Rear Lights which makes discerning which is which a little tricky.

If buying from new, best bet is to ask the supplier if they're compatible for the UK market.
Scirocco R - Converting Petrol into Fun via the Wallet.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vintage67
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
With a: Manual box
Options: standard GT spec plus black turbines.
Small mods so far - debadged bum, private plate, upgraded headlights and exterior LEDs, covered cup holder and ashtray.

Post by vintage67 »

Maisonian wrote:
can I just ask if your rear lights all work ok? has the fog light issue been fixed (no longer remain on all the time).

cheers
Thanks Vintage! Yeah, these units work fine; no issues with the fog lights as far as I can see. I believe the later generation of these lights had the kinks worked out, although the information around them isn't exactly clear.

I believe these were the most 'reliable' Dectanes on the market, followed by the LED cluster and then the C-shaped lightbar with 'squares' in the middle. They're all listed as Dectane Rear Lights which makes discerning which is which a little tricky.

If buying from new, best bet is to ask the supplier if they're compatible for the UK market.
Cheers mate, just got a Candy White TDI and have lots of plans but need to get the timing belt and EGR done first £££££ :(
Previous VAGs:
Corrado 16v
Golf Mk4 GTTDI
Audi S3
Urbandurban
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by Urbandurban »

cheers
The Dectane lights never had fog light problem, it was the Studie R look-a-like lights that had the fog light problem.
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Urbandurban wrote:The Dectane lights never had fog light problem, it was the Studie R look-a-like lights that had the fog light problem.
Ah yes!

These seem to be the ones that have generated a few problems for their owners here and there; truth be told its probably easier to just buy the OEM Facelift version as they're not dissimilar and likely to be a lot more reliable.

Looks like the aftermarket ones were by 'CarDNA' and not Dectane.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Urbandurban

Post by Urbandurban »

Maisonian wrote:
Urbandurban wrote:The Dectane lights never had fog light problem, it was the Studie R look-a-like lights that had the fog light problem.
Ah yes!

These seem to be the ones that have generated a few problems for their owners here and there; truth be told its probably easier to just buy the OEM Facelift version as they're not dissimilar and likely to be a lot more reliable.

Yes. I bought those lights a month ago and cut the fog light cable and installed resistors and it works just fine. If you buy the OEM Facelift lights you also have to buy the facelift boot etc for it to fit.

Indeed, carDNA is the manufacturer. I think people call them the Dectane lights due to Dectane being the first to sell them. These are the first lights I bought actually, and those lights broke after 2 years and I got no replacement or refund.
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Urbandurban wrote:Yes. I bought those lights a month ago and cut the fog light cable and installed resistors and it works just fine. If you buy the OEM Facelift lights you also have to buy the facelift boot etc for it to fit.

Indeed, carDNA is the manufacturer. I think people call them the Dectane lights due to Dectane being the first to sell them. These are the first lights I bought actually, and those lights broke after 2 years and I got no replacement or refund.
Ah good job man! I'm always a little edgy when modding anything electronic. Such a shame that some companies end up doing themselves a disservice through poor customer relations!

Anyhoo, this afternoon saw an opportunity to get some shots of the car; overcast weather but not bucketing it down. Ended up shooting in two locations; Hampton Court Golf Club & the main car park in Kingston. After whittling down a fair few snaps, here's some of the best!

vintage67
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: standard GT spec plus black turbines.
Small mods so far - debadged bum, private plate, upgraded headlights and exterior LEDs, covered cup holder and ashtray.

Post by vintage67 »

Maisonian wrote:
Ah yes!

thanks for the info, LED lights have just been added to my modding list!
Previous VAGs:
Corrado 16v
Golf Mk4 GTTDI
Audi S3
rclark15
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue

Post by rclark15 »

Mais!

Those are the Dectane's i would love. i'm pretty sure i will order them at the end of the month with my pay packet!

i see from your earlier posts that some pictures were taken near in Kingston carpark, are you local to there? I'm from Wimbledon way so just down the road, and you may be my first point of call if i struggle to fit my lights haha! (complete mechanical retard over here).

How long did the lights take to come by the way?

Ryan
Urbandurban

Post by Urbandurban »

rclark15 wrote:Mais!

Those are the Dectane's i would love. i'm pretty sure i will order them at the end of the month with my pay packet!

i see from your earlier posts that some pictures were taken near in Kingston carpark, are you local to there? I'm from Wimbledon way so just down the road, and you may be my first point of call if i struggle to fit my lights haha! (complete mechanical retard over here).

Ryan
The tail lights are SUPER easy to fit, easier than changing LEDs in the interior. It's almost easier than starting the car honestly.
rclark15

Post by rclark15 »

Yo Urb,

Maybe even i could be able to fit them then.... i wouldn't hold my breath though!
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

rclark15 wrote:Mais!

Ryan
Hey man, I'm only in Teddington so not far off if needed! As the guys have said though, they're bonkers easy to fit (although I can appreciate it can be daunting to do any mods without prior experience, I was in a similar boat until I started doing the Roc)

These lights I bought off another member of the forum, but the first courier we used had all the competency of a potato. They ended up dropping the box, sending them to the other side of the country for someone to look at the parcel and go 'yep it's dented', and then send it back to the seller. We then just used UPS and had them delivered in two days!

I think those that have ordered them off the German website/eBay have had a rough lead time of two weeks.

rclark15

Post by rclark15 »

Haha Mais!

The only thing i have mustered up the courage to do myself is change my number plate over....
My car is in the garage at the moment as some complete C**T smashed into me and drove off (£3,300 worth of damage). So when it gets back to me, i might have to take a trip over your way and check out your Dectanes before i dig into my pockets and get some myself if that's cool?

Dropped you a Friends request on FB as will be easier to chat to you on there!
Urbandurban

Post by Urbandurban »

rclark15 wrote:Yo Urb,

Maybe even i could be able to fit them then.... i wouldn't hold my breath though!
It's one screw and that's it :clap:
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Nice to see the car in the flesh. The rear lights are nice.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

xjay1337 wrote:Nice to see the car in the flesh. The rear lights are nice.
Thanks mate! I thought yours looks awesome, the bonnet and spoiler especially!

In fact, the whole event was excellent! I really enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing what they'd done; hopefully we can all organise another event soon (with slightly less rain and traffic, but slightly more cars and BBQ!)

Here's a couple of pics from the event:

I've certainly got a few bits on the shopping list now; Carista, puddle lights, DSG Paddle extensions and an exhaust resonator delete.

Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

Damn, I missed out on a decent meet!

Lovely looking cars
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Cheers for the pics.
There were a lot of cars there for sure. I thought you were coming Paradox.
click for build thread
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

Was supposed to but something came up last minute. I'll be at GTI on the 3rd of june though
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Ended up buying Carsita; great bit of kit and ridiculously easy to use! Changed a few of the basic parameters of the car's functionality:

- Beep on lock/unlock
- 4 x change lane flashes
- Fuel required for full tank (next refuel)
- Coming Home lights duration
- Rear wiper 'extra tear wipe'

Some of the other 'unlocks' were already present on the R (such as enable needle sweep and designate light cluster as running lights), but considering it was £30 and a cheeky download I think that's a define win in my book! Also ordered a set of black Aluminium DSG Paddle extensions:

I did toy with the idea of purchasing a set of full-replacement paddles, but as they start around the £150 mark, I thought I'd see if I like these first before any further investments down the line.

Gave the car a quick clean this afternoon & went for a cheeky photoshoot down the park. Had some young guy in an R-line Polo asking me if I was selling...I politely declined :D

xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

You should have said you wanted some bits coded.
I keep vagcom in my car :)
click for build thread