Retrofit Dab to 09 Roc

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Moschops
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Oryx White
With a: Manual box

Retrofit Dab to 09 Roc

Post by Moschops »

Hi
I have just bought a 2.0 tsi 137 Roc and I want to replace head unit with a DAB and don't want a window sticky aerial, I want to fit a roof mounted aerial. I did this on my mondeo but I can't find out what parts I need such as aerial, does it need new cabling from aerial to head etc etc. Any help GREATLY appreciated as can't find anything on the net that directly relates to parts and how to do it.

Cheers
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Retrofit Dab to 09 Roc

Post by Cuprabob »

On the Rocco the OEM DAB antenna is in the rear side window. Although it's for a Golf 6 you might find the following interesting.

http://www.my-gti.com/2742/aerial-infor ... lf-mark-vi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

If you want a really good antenna i can recommend the Calearo 7677932.
But if the Dab+ broadcasting is very good in your neighbourhood you can use this window aerial set:
http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-aerial-ampl ... d1911.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moschops

Post by Moschops »

Thanks for that however I'm now extremely confused. Do I need to replace the aerial on the roof, the amplifier and the cable running along car to head unit?? I want to fit a kenwood DAB and not the DAB scirocco one. HELP lol
Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

No just choose one, the oem antenna is in the window glass. If you change the amplifier and cable in the link it's enough.
But the Calearo roof antenna is better, this is delivered including amplifier.
timc
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Retro fit LED Mirror,Door Puddle Lights, Cruise. Kenwood DNX516DABS, Android box + Kodi, JL Audio amp, JBL GTO Speakers, Reversing Camera. Polar FIS+, XDS, Oscarli magic

Post by timc »

If you are in the UK, then replacing the windows glass amplifier is the way to go - I'm all over the country and never had an issue with reception on my Kenwood headunit.
Moschops

Post by Moschops »

Timc
What did you replace? Was it the right amplifier and what new cable did you install as I can't find any parts numbers etc. I'm going the route of the kenwood i think

Cheers
Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

?
Moschops

Post by Moschops »

Sorry roy_1. He said he changed the amplifier. I don't understand how it works? On my mondeo I changed head unit, wiring from aerial and aerial to enable dab but on the roc I don't understand exactly what I need to change to put a kenwood in without the window sticky aerial. Can you explain if I need to change roof aerial , wiring and that amplifier to enable the use of the kenwood or should I just spend 99 quid on the calearo roof antenna and cable. There is not many manuals or tutorials on the roc so a little stumped. Any help GREATLY appreciated
Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

The FM/DAB+ aerial is inside the right passenger window, it's already a DAB+ antenna but only used for FM if you don't buy a Scirocco with DAB+.
It will only have a FM amplifier but when you change this for the DAB+ amplifier and wiring kit in the link i posted you will receive DAB+ with your old/same aerial.
In the UK the DAB+ broadcast is very good so what Timc says the standard Scirocco aerial will be good enough.
Just take a look at your rear right passenger window to check if the aerial is inside the window.
The early Scirocco models had an FM roof antenna but later the roof antenna was only used for GPS and GSM.
If you don't have the window antenna i can recommend the Calearo DAB+ roof antenna.

VW Aerial Amplifier Radio FM + DAB - 1K8035552F + Wirirng Harness - KIT

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... +amplifier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
timc
Options: Retro fit LED Mirror,Door Puddle Lights, Cruise. Kenwood DNX516DABS, Android box + Kodi, JL Audio amp, JBL GTO Speakers, Reversing Camera. Polar FIS+, XDS, Oscarli magic

Post by timc »

Moschops wrote:Timc
What did you replace? Was it the right amplifier and what new cable did you install as I can't find any parts numbers etc. I'm going the route of the kenwood i think

Cheers
A lot of info is all in the thread that Roy posted...

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... +amplifier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only ended up using the amplifier and the Fakra->SMB lead in the end - took the plastic bit of the Fakra connector and connected straight to the uprated FM & DAB amplifier.. secured the DAB & FM cables together with a cable tie.

:yes:
Moschops

Post by Moschops »

Guys. Your great. I will have a look at weekend. Thanks for all your help and thanks for helping a thicko like me. Hopefully dab soon. Cheers guys :clap:
timc

Post by timc »

You'll be advised to watch this..... assuming you haven't already...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck! :)