Replacing broken door mirror bits (not all of it)

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
edwheels
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Sat Nav (315) DAB, 18" Wheels

Replacing broken door mirror bits (not all of it)

Post by edwheels »

Hi all,

So annoyed with myself. I always fold in my door mirror when reversing out of my narrow garage, but running late for work this morning, I didn't, and it caught on the garage door mechanism and was bent backward and was (some of it) broken.

The good news is it snapped back into place and everything (power adj. + indicators) still works. The glass is also fine.

The broken bits are:

- the black plastic cowling around the mirror glass is cracked with a bit missing
- the cap (rising blue) has a tiny crack and a bit missing
- the clear indicator cover is also cracked with a bit missing

Questions which are springing to mind are:

- do replacement caps have the clear indicator covers bult into them?
- can the back plastic cowling around the mirror glass be replaced easily?
- do the caps come ready painted or do they always need painting
- How much do you think VW could charge (excessive ?) to repair/replace

I have managed to tape it all back together and with all working that's OK but it looks sh*t so want to get this sorted asap.

Any advice and previous experiences with replacing broken door mirror bits welcomed.

Cheers!
wensleydale
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
With a: Manual box

Re: Replacing broken door mirror bits (not all of it)

Post by wensleydale »

- do replacement caps have the clear indicator covers bult into them?

Not the Cap, it is included with the lower housing

- can the back plastic cowling around the mirror glass be replaced easily?

Yes, once the painted cover and mirror glass are removed the plastic cowling clips out

- do the caps come ready painted or do they always need painting

Genuine ones coem in grey primer and will need to be painted. You can get pre-painted ones off eBay but they may not be genuine

- How much do you think VW could charge (excessive ?) to repair/replace

The parts themselves aren't too expensive, Lower housing ~£25, surround ~£16 iirc, I haven't had to buy a mirror cap, so don't know for that one. All the parts you have mentioned are an easy DIY fit. If you have a search there are a number of threads on here with details on how they all come apart/go back together.
thng
With a: Manual box

Post by thng »

i had the same problem mate, i hit a reversing car which then run away. my mirror was completely destroyed. just have a search on ebay, buy mirror, then mirror cover, then indicator. got my mirror looking like new for 90 euros because i was lucky enough to find a mirror cap already painted black, i dont know if you can find a rising blue one, although if you can find someone honest to paint a mirror cap for you it wont be expensive.
edwheels

Post by edwheels »

Great info - thanks - determined to fix it myself. Good news is the painted cap was only very slightly damaged and i found the tiny missing piece which glued back in without really showing any damage, so only the surround and lower part/indicator lens for me to do now.
edwheels

Post by edwheels »

All done! I ended up buying a complete mirror unit from Euro Parts, then dismantled it and replaced the black cowling and indicator unit and now have a primed 'ready to paint' cap left over which I will eventually get sprayed up the right colour (no rush as damage here was minimal) .... and now have a spare mirror glass too.

An expensive lesson learned (over £100) - I know I could have had it fixed for less (buying just the indicator and black cowling - although not sure if that part is available on its own) but this way I have some useful spares left over and managed to perfect the dismantling process before doing it for real on the car!

Next car will have power folding mirrors!!!!!
blz-8027
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Night Blue

Post by blz-8027 »

Hi all
old post i know but saves starting another on the same subject
From these pics which parts wil i need to fix,a part is broken inside, but looks like it should glue back together easy enough ,
im thinking
Glass
outer cover
indicator section
or one of those sequential indicators that are around now

made a mess of the last pic and its raining heavy now