Swirl Marks

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
STEVIE-B
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Swirl Marks

Post by STEVIE-B »

Hi All!

Just purchased a new (used) rocco, and the paintwork in parts is appalling, on the driver side door it looks like someone has taken a sponge filled with grit and rubbed it on the car :eyepop: What is the best way to, at least improve this!

The car is black! so shows everything :cry:

thanks
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Swirl Marks

Post by Cuprabob »

Take it to a local detailer and have a paint correction done.

The other option is to go over to detailingworld.com and learn about wet sanding and polishing, if you are so inclined.
STEVIE-B

Post by STEVIE-B »

Ok, thanks, I will try and find a decent local detailer! I wouldn't mind trying myself however I'm always concerned about making it worse! Thankyou!
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

If you give your rough location, maybe someone will be able to recommend one in your area.
STEVIE-B

Post by STEVIE-B »

Good shout, thanks! Based near Portsmouth in Hampshire!
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Wet sanding probably is a bit to much for swirls but bob is right. DA polisher, patience and some polishing compound finished off wish a good wax & sealant should sort it out. I would do some research before hand, DA's can cause more damage if used incorrectly
Phil
STEVIE-B

Post by STEVIE-B »

Done some research, and contacted some local valeting companies, been quoted about £500-600 for a "two stage paint correction" - I have taken a look and think I will have a go myself, only concern is the paint thickness. I don't want to be overzealous and take too much off!

Thanks for the advice!
Paddy_R
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White

Post by Paddy_R »

If you use a DA rather than a rotary polisher the likelihood of doing any damage will be dramatically reduced. It will take longer though.

The be fair they're reasonable prices for a two stage correction as it will take several days to do.
STEVIE-B

Post by STEVIE-B »

Paddy_R wrote:If you use a DA rather than a rotary polisher the likelihood of doing any damage will be dramatically reduced. It will take longer though.

The be fair they're reasonable prices for a two stage correction as it will take several days to do.
I've got a DA which I am able to borrow! Just been researching products / compounds etc!

Hmm does it? I was under the impression they would do it in a day! I'll have to question them a bit more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paddy_R
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White

Post by Paddy_R »

Look at Maguires 105 & 205 compounds. They're great to work with and give excellent results.
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

STEVIE-B wrote:
Paddy_R wrote:If you use a DA rather than a rotary polisher the likelihood of doing any damage will be dramatically reduced. It will take longer though.

I've got a DA which I am able to borrow! Just been researching products / compounds etc!

Hmm does it? I was under the impression they would do it in a day! I'll have to question them a bit more!

You can do it in a day, I did mine in a day and applied Crystal Serum.

However I had already polished my car before so it did not need a heavy correction and I only needed to do a refinement rather than an outright correction.

You can easily spend 25-30 hours doing a 2 or 3 stage correction especially on some cars with harder paint types. Generally around £250 (ETA: per day!!) is around the right money for detailing.
Last edited by xjay1337 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
STEVIE-B

Post by STEVIE-B »

As I know I won't get a chance to do this for about 3 weeks I had a little bash at getting the worst scratches out on Friday! Pretty happy with the results considering I did it by hand in about an hour! [emoji4][emoji106]I know it's not fantastic but think I have done well considering it was my first attempt! Before and after pictures below!
ImageImageImageImageImage

EDIT - How on earth do I resize these :eyepop:
Mr OCD
In: Shadow Blue
Options: All of them ... lol

Swirl Marks

Post by Mr OCD »

xjay1337 wrote:
You can easily spend 25-30 hours doing a 2 or 3 stage correction especially on some cars with harder paint types. Generally around £250 is around the right money for detailing.
Not for 25-30 hours work it isn't. You'd be lucky to get single stage work for £250.

Three stage correction:

VW Scirocco GT 170 in shadow blue metallic with vienna leather, cruise control, parking radar, nav, bluetooth and dynaudio sound system. Remapped and shortshift fitted.
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Mr OCD wrote:
xjay1337 wrote:
You can easily spend 25-30 hours doing a 2 or 3 stage correction especially on some cars with harder paint types. Generally around £250 is around the right money for detailing.
Not for 25-30 hours work it isn't. You'd be lucky to get single stage work for £250.

Three stage correction:

Oops, I should have said "per day".

I used to do detailing so I should know. :D

Generally around £500 for a Scirocco sized vehicle, and £600-700 with a coating depending on what coating you go for lol
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
STEVIE-B

Post by STEVIE-B »

Mr OCD wrote:
xjay1337 wrote:
Couldnt complain if it was for 25-30 hours work. The place I went for a quote said it would be done in a day, drop it off at 8am and pick it up after work. Thought £500-600 was high for just one day, if it is generally a few days and takes this sort of time it makes more sense!
Mr OCD

Post by Mr OCD »

xjay1337 wrote:
Mr OCD wrote:
xjay1337 wrote:

Three stage correction:

Oops, I should have said "per day".

I used to do detailing so I should know. :D

Generally around £500 for a Scirocco sized vehicle, and £600-700 with a coating depending on what coating you go for lol
:D

I've been detailing for over 10 years now long before all the cowboys jumped on the bandwagon, these days I just do it part-time to keep my arm in ... ;)
VW Scirocco GT 170 in shadow blue metallic with vienna leather, cruise control, parking radar, nav, bluetooth and dynaudio sound system. Remapped and shortshift fitted.
Mr OCD

Post by Mr OCD »

STEVIE-B wrote:
Mr OCD wrote:
xjay1337 wrote:
Couldnt complain if it was for 25-30 hours work. The place I went for a quote said it would be done in a day, drop it off at 8am and pick it up after work. Thought £500-600 was high for just one day, if it is generally a few days and takes this sort of time it makes more sense!
That depends on variables. i.e. it might be done in one day and £500-£600 but you could have 2-3 people working on it, rather than one person working 2-3 days.

Going rates are about £250 - £500 per day depending on who you use and where.

Ceramics start at about £100 and can go up to over £600-£700.
STEVIE-B

Post by STEVIE-B »

Makes sense, thanks Mr OCD. (y)
Bails1310
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Bails1310 »

STEVIE-B wrote:As I know I won't get a chance to do this for about 3 weeks I had a little bash at getting the worst scratches out on Friday! Pretty happy with the results considering I did it by hand in about an hour! [emoji4][emoji106]I know it's not fantastic but think I have done well considering it was my first attempt! Before and after pictures below!
ImageImageImageImageImage

What polish/compound did you use?

EDIT - How on earth do I resize these :eyepop:
Dazarooni
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Dazarooni »

I'd have that sorted in a full day with a rotary, Flex 3401, Lake Country purple foamed wool pads, Scholl Navy pad, Scholl S3 Gold XXL and Scholl S40. Paint thickness measurements taken first. In my experience, a Scirocco has around 130 microns of paint which is decent to work with unlike some Japanese cars where the paint is less than 80 microns.