Is there going to be a Scirocco replacement?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
tony4147
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS510 SatNav/BT, Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Factory Mats

Is there going to be a Scirocco replacement?

Post by tony4147 »

I'm looking to change my Scirocco, its coming up to 4.5 years old which for me is an old car, it has been a cracking car hence why I have kept it so long and I'm seriously struggling to know what to replace it with as there isn't anything on the market that appeals to me, like my coupes.
I have considered changing to a newer Scirocco, but the 220 bhp engine has been dropped (GTS doesn't appeal) and I think I would be disappointed if I went to the 180bhp engine considering the money to change and the R would be too stiff in fuel. I have wondered about a 184bhp R-line (haven't driven one) but I cant say I'm a fan of diesels and if there is a replacement in the next year or two then I think I would end up with a substantial hit in depreciation.

Are VW going to release a Scirocco replacement anytime in the near future?
andyy
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
In: Rising Blue

Re: Is there going to be a Scirocco replacement?

Post by andyy »

I wouldn't rule the R out. I think in the real world the difference in fuel costs would be negligible over the durantion of ownership. I have a Golf mk6R and it i average there abouts the same as i did in my RS Clio 172, Fiesta ST, TTS, Mx5 and R32..
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

From what I heard there won't be a scirocco replacement. I remember reading a post on here a while ago.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Indeed, sadly there is no replacement due for the Scirocco, I believe 'dieselgate' put paid to a MK4 version. :(
tony4147
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS510 SatNav/BT, Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Factory Mats

Post by tony4147 »

Would like an R but fuel cost would be an issue, not a direction I want to take.
Have thought about the Golf GTI....................but thety don't look special enough, just another Golf with fancy wheels to the average person
Griffspeed
I drive a: R-Line
Options: Cruise control
Winter pack
Folding mirrors

Post by Griffspeed »

184 TDI R Line is a great car.
It's quick enough, looks the part, well specced and is good on fuel & has cheap tax.
And it's a Scirocco!
Go & drive one.....
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

tony4147 wrote:... just another Golf with fancy wheels to the average person
...and the Scirocco is just a Golf in a pretty frock which makes it's but look big:-)

Buy a car for yourself, not to just impress your average person
tony4147

Post by tony4147 »

I am buying a car for myself, but I like a car that is a bit of a looker, Golf GTI is a great car but nothing special from the outside.
I wonder as they finally run out the Scirocco whether they will bring out a storm version, I had one of the original storms.........that was a cracking car as well
skippy

Post by skippy »

Yes - I have the same thoughts, the Golf GTI is a fantastic car and has all that heritage but not that interesting to look at.

I can't see them producing a Storm version, although you never know, we have the R, GTS, R-Line etc but these manufacturers often try and 'eek out' another version! Rather like the Clubsport Golf and I think they also have a ClubSport 'S', so it is possible but I would be surprised.
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Heard a rumour that the next one could be a Corrado... Not sure if it's true but would be pretty good step for VW
Phil
tony4147

Post by tony4147 »

Difficult to know what to do, there is nothing on the market that appeals to me, I've had my Scirocco from new but is now 4.5yrs old, coming up to 50k, getting to the point where I either change or run into the ground, I've had a few Alfa's in the past and they haven't anything, and BMW's are more common than ford Mondeos these days.......not that I'm a fan of BMW's.

Have to say in 30+ years of buying and selling cars I've never before been stuck as to know what to buy!!
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

tony4147 wrote: I wonder as they finally run out the Scirocco whether they will bring out a storm version, I had one of the original storms.........that was a cracking car as well
Which Storm did you have as there have been 2, MK1 & MK2 both beautiful cars. There was also a Corrado Storm too if my memory serves me right.

VW is a different beast from those days so I don't see a Storm version or a replacement named a Scirocco or Corrado. I'm even surprised the did a Golf Clubsport S if I'm honest. Also, MK3 Scirocco wasn't much of a success for VW if the truth be told.
tony4147

Post by tony4147 »

Cuprabob wrote:
tony4147 wrote: I wonder as they finally run out the Scirocco whether they will bring out a storm version, I had one of the original storms.........that was a cracking car as well
Which Storm did you have as there have been 2, MK1 & MK2 both beautiful cars. There was also a Corrado Storm too if my memory serves me right.

VW is a different beast from those days so I don't see a Storm version or a replacement named a Scirocco or Corrado. I'm even surprised the did a Golf Clubsport S if I'm honest. Also, MK3 Scirocco wasn't much of a success for VW if the truth be told.

I had a 1979 Mk1, in the metallic light green, they only made 600, would be worth a bit now
Deagol
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

Tony,

My 170 TDi is coming up for seven years old and has 83K on the clock. Stills runs well and I'm not in a hurry to apply the Dieselgate "fix" on the engine software.

Apart from the age of your set of wheels as you see it, is there a reason to make the change? I thought modern cars were good for more than 99,999 miles and we've been in the same situation with our people carrier (a diesel Touran with 140K on the clock). It still starts and stops at the right times, has had all the "expensive" services for cambelts and water pumps and stuff like that. Body work is OK too.

We could change it for a newer one and spend £xx,xxx in the process, only to go around the block and be back to spending on the expensive services in a few years time. Or we could plug away with what we've got until it dies.

And with the current political climate over diesels and air pollution generally, that's another reason to not get the cheque book out in a hurry.

Why not run you TSi on for another 50K of miles. Like your 1979 Storm, you might find you end up with a modern classic. One owner from new? Full service history? You might just beat the depreciation monster and make a few quid on resale.

Just a thought !

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

tony4147 wrote:
Cuprabob wrote:

I had a 1979 Mk1, in the metallic light green, they only made 600, would be worth a bit now
Lovely and yes that would be worth a mint today:-)
skippy

Post by skippy »

I guess I am in the same situation as Tony, my Scirocco is 8 years old and running perfectly well (only 27K on the clock) and have considered replacing it, I guess it is just the tech that is getting a bit old on it but other than that drives really well.

The other thing to consider, with electric/hybrid technology advancing all the time do you invest in traditional petrol again but face the consequence of plummeting residuals once electric takes off, or hang on with your current car for a few more years?

I think the whole car purchase thing will continue to change, an electric vehicle won't make a good purchase outright, they are better leased given that advances in the technology will give a poor return once you come to sell it.

As deagol has mentioned above, I don't think diesel is the way to go now, because of pollution targets and NOx emissions it appears they could be hit hard by new taxes thus impacting values and running costs.
PaulGL79
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
Options: 18 inch interlargos wheels, DAB Radio

Post by PaulGL79 »

A couple of Motoring Magazines reported a while back possible production of a coupe style Golf called Golf CC similar style to Passat CC, that doesn't sound too bad but ive heard no more of this .
If they do produce a replacement called Corrado as mentioned above I hope its not some £10K above the price of a Scirocco like the original model was . The Current Scirocco seems to still sale well as its not got so much competition . only affordable competition now seems to be the Astra GTC which is a run out model or the Toyota GT86 which is a bit of a niche (don't seem to be many around) .
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

As I reported on a different thread, the Scirocco is not being continued. This will be the last year of production. Over in France, a limited edition version called "Ultimate Scirocco" will be offered later this year to give it a final farewell. It is based on the R-Line version only with more kit. I imagine this will probably be offered here too.
PaulGL79
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
Options: 18 inch interlargos wheels, DAB Radio

Post by PaulGL79 »

That's a real kick in the teeth its the last year of production. I still think they look fresh for a 2008 launched car . Ive had mine pushing 6 years now longest ive ever owned a car, kept it for so long as I love the looks but starting to get the itch now, There is good lease deals on at the moment for sciroccos and discounts at dealers for facelift models
Addymk2
In: Deep Black

Post by Addymk2 »

PaulGL79 wrote:A couple of Motoring Magazines reported a while back possible production of a coupe style Golf called Golf CC similar style to Passat CC, that doesn't sound too bad but ive heard no more of this .
If they do produce a replacement called Corrado as mentioned above I hope its not some £10K above the price of a Scirocco like the original model was . The Current Scirocco seems to still sale well as its not got so much competition . only affordable competition now seems to be the Astra GTC which is a run out model or the Toyota GT86 which is a bit of a niche (don't seem to be many around) .
Having driven a GT86 it's a much different car to the Scirocco and to be honest I can see why it doesn't appeal to the generic VW crowd, it's cracking on the right road. Excellent balance, enough power to work the chassis to its limit and it's playful. But, where the VWs trump it, is comfort, practicality and the low down torque. A Scirocco/GTI is quicker in a straight line, more comfortable and has more gizmos whereas a GT86 needs working hard and that's beyond the majority, Toyota have targeted a minority with the GT86, I'd have one but the residuals are solid and I only ever buy used :(

+ The GT86 can go sideways.