Wrong Choice?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
GTRob
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Wrong Choice?

Post by GTRob »

Hi guys,

I'm getting my new Scirocco at the end of the month (and can't wait!), but I'm not sure if I've made the wrong choice.

I've ordered the 1.4 TSI but now I'm starting to wonder whether or not I've made a mistake by not getting the 2.0l instead? My main reason was really only due to the price of £2,500 more for the 2.0l when I didn't really feel like I'd need that much power, and being 24 having a bigger effect on my car insurance.

Is the 1.4l still decent in terms of power and fun to drive? (For comparison my current car is a 1.2l Hyundai i20, so I'm really hoping this will be a lot more fun! I'm just worried I'm going to regret spending so much on this car when the 1.4 might not actually be that much more of an improvement compared to what I currently have. (FYI my knowledge on cars and stats isn't very good (as you may already tell).

TIA.
SurgicalProcedures
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue

Re: Wrong Choice?

Post by SurgicalProcedures »

Which 1.4 did you go for? The 122 hp or the twincharged 160 bhp one?
GTRob

Post by GTRob »

SurgicalProcedures wrote:Which 1.4 did you go for? The 122 hp or the twincharged 160 bhp one?
Hi, it's the 1.4TSI GT 125ps.
SurgicalProcedures

I can't comment on that specific engine performance wise, but honestly, in terms of handling and how well the chassis holds the road, it will definitely be a fun car to drive. More so then your previous i20 that's for sure! I just re-read your post, I'm assuming you're purchasing a brand new one?
GTRob

Post by GTRob »

SurgicalProcedures wrote:I can't comment on that specific engine performance wise, but honestly, in terms of handling and how well the chassis holds the road, it will definitely be a fun car to drive. More so then your previous i20 that's for sure! I just re-read your post, I'm assuming you're purchasing a brand new one?
Yes it's a new one. I've test drove it and fell in love with it straight away, but I couldn't really test it 'properly' in a built up city and didn't test drive the 2 litre.
SurgicalProcedures

Fair doos man, congratulations on the new purchase anyway!

Living in London I found the 1.4 is more than adequate for my needs, plus being a young driver like yourself, insurance is a big thing to think about. If you do have your doubts why not go to another dealership and test drive the 2L and compare it for yourself?
GTRob

Post by GTRob »

SurgicalProcedures wrote:Fair doos man, congratulations on the new purchase anyway!

Living in London I found the 1.4 is more than adequate for my needs, plus being a young driver like yourself, insurance is a big thing to think about. If you do have your doubts why not go to another dealership and test drive the 2L and compare it for yourself?

Yeah that's a good idea, I've priced up the insurance though and there is a fair difference in the monthly cost for me :( I guess I just need an idea on whether it's actually worth the 2.5k more and added insurance and tax costs! Hopefully it'll be a lot better than my current car anyway!
MisterD
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black

Post by MisterD »

I progressed from a 1.2 punto to a 1.7 puma. The difference was massive. You will have a car that's a really engaging drive. And the 2.5k + insurance + fuel economy. You prob made the right choice if you are worrying about it. Enjoy the new Roc!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
samhall15
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125

Post by samhall15 »

I can agree, I have the 122, and it's a big power gain from my 1.4 golf I had before. You won't regret it

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Everything is relative so just be happy with your choice...
GTRob

Post by GTRob »

Hey guys, I've had news that it's now been built and on it's way. How long generally would it take to be shipped, go through customs and reach a dealership?
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Anything up to 2 weeks.
They all go to Emden port and sit until there's a ship to bring them over. They often go to Grimsby next, then to a central distribution area and then the dealer will call it in.
GTRob

Post by GTRob »

Kev wrote:Anything up to 2 weeks.
They all go to Emden port and sit until there's a ship to bring them over. They often go to Grimsby next, then to a central distribution area and then the dealer will call it in.
Cheers mate :yes: