Bloody hard water leaving water marks on the paint!

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
meerkat1991
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: Auto lights and wipers, xenons, Vienna leather heated seats and door cards, ddc, pano roof, 18" interlagos, folding mirrors, park pilot, flat bottom multi func steering wheel, tinted windows, R body kit, 3" milltek cat back

Bloody hard water leaving water marks on the paint!

Post by meerkat1991 »

Morning all,

Recently moved into my house, washed the rocco for the first time the other day and noticed no matter how quick I dried it. It was covered in white water marks. Turns out I live in a hard water place! Bloody limescale! Has anyone any tips on softening the water? Heard of using white vinegar but a bit sceptical!
Still makes me smile everytime I wash it! Even had a comment on how shiny it was from a passing driver!

Thanks
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Re: Bloody hard water leaving water marks on the paint!

Post by Roy_01 »

Go to a car wash where they have (demineralised--->softened) water. Or buy some.
Last edited by Roy_01 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willyjay212
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: 19" alloys, remap stage 1, led lights, VAGCOM, blue interior lights, hid front head lights, after market stereo, subwoofer

Post by Willyjay212 »

Boil the kettle let it cool and fill up a big bucket with it :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
meerkat1991
Options: Auto lights and wipers, xenons, Vienna leather heated seats and door cards, ddc, pano roof, 18" interlagos, folding mirrors, park pilot, flat bottom multi func steering wheel, tinted windows, R body kit, 3" milltek cat back

Post by meerkat1991 »

Thanks but unfortunately that won't won't with the pressure washer!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Move...

I remember seeing a filter thing a few years ago you attached to a hose and you used it to rinse the car off to prevent this. I can't remember the brand name but it was on sale in Halfords.

Check detailingworld as I'm sure the issue has arisen before for the OCD types.
meerkat1991

Post by meerkat1991 »

Cuprabob wrote:Move...

I remember seeing a filter thing a few years ago you attached to a hose and you used it to rinse the car off to prevent this. I can't remember the brand name but it was on sale in Halfords.

Check detailingworld as I'm sure the issue has arisen before for the OCD types.

Haha good advice Bob, I'll tell the missus and report back!
I've had a look at them filter but can't find any reviews for car cleaning etc. I'll have a look on detailing world. Thank you
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Roy_01 wrote:Go to a car wash where they have demineralised water. Or buy some.
Please dont do this, quick way to spoil your paintwork - sorry Roy
Phil
meerkat1991

Post by meerkat1991 »

Phil wrote:
Roy_01 wrote:Go to a car wash where they have demineralised water. Or buy some.
Please dont do this, quick way to spoil your paintwork - sorry Roy
Don't worry I won't, wouldn't work for the pressure washer. I'm thinking I need a filter for the mains
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

Softened water is a better word, sorry my bad. But it's a normal procedure in the car wash as a last step, and don't have to towel it dry or something.
I don't have problems with it but i don't have a show car lol.
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Usually washing the car out of direct sun will limit the problems.

I've only ever had any issues when it was about 30 degrees and we were washing an un-waxed Mustang and ended up having to machine polish the whole car (very quickly with a very light compound) to remove them.

Assuming the car is waxed or sealed it should not really be an issue and they should remove with a decent QD spray. I've certainly never had any issues.

You can get some in-line filters but they often don't work with jet washes as the flow rate is too high for them. The ones which do work are advertised for professional use and cost a fair chunk of money (Upwards of £500).

Once your car has been waxed/sealed you can actually rinse most of the water away using an open hose as the water will simply fall off and only a small amount of water will be left on the panel.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
meerkat1991

Post by meerkat1991 »

xjay1337 wrote:Usually washing the car out of direct sun will limit the problems.

I've only ever had any issues when it was about 30 degrees and we were washing an un-waxed Mustang and ended up having to machine polish the whole car (very quickly with a very light compound) to remove them.

Assuming the car is waxed or sealed it should not really be an issue and they should remove with a decent QD spray. I've certainly never had any issues.

You can get some in-line filters but they often don't work with jet washes as the flow rate is too high for them. The ones which do work are advertised for professional use and cost a fair chunk of money (Upwards of £500).

Once your car has been waxed/sealed you can actually rinse most of the water away using an open hose as the water will simply fall off and only a small amount of water will be left on the panel.
Brilliant, I'll get some qd spay. Was told about open hose rinsing yesterday so will be doing that too. Thanks
mattyfitz
In: Candy White

Post by mattyfitz »

Once i have cleaned the car and it is drying I go over it with a detailer as i have the same issue as you.
MackemVR6
In: Shadow Blue

Post by MackemVR6 »

I have a similar issue with water marks. I have polished, waxed and then applied a second coating of wax but I still get water marks after I've washed and dried the car. It's as if the bead of water that was there prior to me towelling the car dry leaves a shadow. If it rains, the water beads, sure. But then it drys and leaves the outline of the bead on the paint and washing it does not remove it. I have to polish the car again to remove them, then wax, then re-wax. Very frustrating. I thought waxing the car helped to prevent this, to me it looks like it just causes problems.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or what products I can buy to prevent this? I'm using Dodo Juice purple haze wax and in between waxes, Sonax BSD.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

You may need to install water filtration so get rid of the water spots. As the OP; at home the water is hard and leaves spots if left to dry. It will build up in tea kettle and other places water sits before drying.
White vinegar is fine to use on the tea kettle, but on the El Camino filtering the water is a better option. Just remember to change the filter when required.
Collector of warning lights.
Roc Hopper
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: CC RPS
Focal 165 VRS Fronts
HBK Sills and chrome fog rings
La Prealpina Aero Roof Bars off for now
Bluetooth done now
Chrome exhaust tips (yeti)
Recessed front plate

Post by Roc Hopper »

Washing out of direct sunlight is the way forward - so time of day plays a big part as does the geography of your wash bay.
Dry the car pretty much immediately with towels or blow dry with a blower and use Koch Chemie FSE if you live in a particularly hard Water area - I do and have suffered the same problems occasionally when stopping between stages to chat to neighbours
Once it’s dry you can take your time - although looking at the grey skies of the typical BHW I think quick drying woes may be done for the year