Extended warranty

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Extended warranty

Post by skyblues11 »

Hi people,

I am at the 58k stage and just had the waterpump changed, after the pink coolant was leaking and the engine area developed a 'tin can slapping' noise over x'mas.

This had led me to consider taking out an extended warranty policy because as the car gets older, and being a 1.4 TSI ( with a CAV engine from 09), I should expect to have more expensive mechanical failures, like the engine timing belt etc.

It seems that no matter how careful you drive ( i do 10k a year, no engine/ gearbox mods), this engine is flawed from the beginning, so perhaps is wise to spend some 300£ per year to avoid damages that might cost up to 4000£ or more, like having a new engine.

I hope you guys would look into this option, to protect your investment in the long run. i am not in the warranty business by the way and just like to share my thoughts on the subject.
Tallguy

Re: Extended warranty

Post by Tallguy »

The only caution here is that insurers price to risk so I would expect an extended warranty for the 160 bhp engine to be expensive. Incidentally I had this engine a few years back with no problems at all (admittedly low mileage).
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

The only extended warranty I would consider is the VW one administered by Mondial. Details can be found on the VW website. Sadly, it's more expensive if it's taken out after the original warranty has expired but worth checking the price and more importantly the claim limits.

Otherwise, I would set aside each month in lieu of the warranty just incase something pops up. If you're lucky and nothing happens you'll have a nice little lump sum.
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

I see your point Cuprabob, but the possible failures might be more than what i save annually.

I had a quote warrantywise at 340 £ per year, and it seems very comprehensive. The question is , if i put away the amount as a saving, would 340 be enough to repair a major failure?

Some failures ( if i am not lucky enough) might cost over 1K£ to put right, that means I need 3 years to build up the same amount.

The cheapest VW one ( called driveline) was quoted at 236£ inclusive of recovery. anyway, i need to read the small prints before i decide this weekend.

speaking of saving, M&S bank are offering a savings a/c where you can save 250 max per month and get 6% interest ( pre-tax) at the end of a year. Not bad for saving money to spend on wear and tear parts.