Stone chip protection paint

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
BadBoy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 210BHP, Pano Roof, Leather, Rear Sensors, Cruise, TPMS in GBox, Mats, Interlagos & Luganos.

Custom
Red Footwell Lighting, Alloy pedals, Pentagon Tints, HK sills, V3 LED DRLs, Rear LED Plate Lights, Covered Cup Holder to be fitted

Stone chip protection paint

Post by BadBoy »

Noticed that my stone chip protection on the silks is coming away at the front wheel?

Any one else had this and whats involved in repairs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paddy_R
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Re: Stone chip protection paint

Post by Paddy_R »

You got mud flaps? Also what's the milage on the car?
BadBoy
Options: 210BHP, Pano Roof, Leather, Rear Sensors, Cruise, TPMS in GBox, Mats, Interlagos & Luganos.

Custom
Red Footwell Lighting, Alloy pedals, Pentagon Tints, HK sills, V3 LED DRLs, Rear LED Plate Lights, Covered Cup Holder to be fitted

Post by BadBoy »

No mudflaps, just done under 60k, has car from new
Paddy_R

Post by Paddy_R »

Buy a set of mud flaps. They're not cheap but worth every penny, I managed to source a full set of 4 on ebay for around £60 delivered. It will be the constant blasting by stones that will have caused the damage. On my old car I had to get the ends of the skirts painted due to this at around 15k miles, thankfully the ends were separate from the rest of the skirt (Focus ST 2.5 turbo) which made it easy. Stone chip paint can only resist so much before even it will start to chip and flake off (it tends to flake as it's more 'rubbery' than normal paint).

Not sure if VW sell touch up for this, they might very well do so, but you coukd try your local auto factor and see what they have along the lines of white stonechip.
BadBoy

Custom

Post by BadBoy »

Bugger, never liked mud flaps. Will go to the paint shop for a quote.
Paddy_R

Post by Paddy_R »

Always thought cars looked unfinished without mud flaps. Like the ower doesn't really care. Couldn't get decent mud flaps for my old ST and Clio RS200 with really annoyed me.
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

BadBoy wrote:Bugger, never liked mud flaps. Will go to the paint shop for a quote.
I'm with you there mate... looks so out of place and spoils the nice flow of the car! Hope you get it sorted
Phil
BadBoy

Custom

Post by BadBoy »

Phoned VW this morning and advised to take to a dealer to see if warranty can be claimed as the car has no previous paint on those areas and has a 12 year warranty.
BadBoy

Custom

Post by BadBoy »

So VW called me back saying corrosion is 12 year and not paint. Do u reckon I have a case or just get painted elsewhere.

https://app.box.com/s/8gg1rxolib8u0r3068qb1do6fahco4cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paddy_R

Post by Paddy_R »

Get it fixed elsewhere. Thats damaged caused by use not a manufacturing fault (which the anti corrosion warrenty is for). Fundamentally it's a stone chip which has started to corrode.

Hate to say it but a mudflap would have protected against that.
BadBoy

Custom

Post by BadBoy »

Yeah, getting it done elsewhere. Mudflaps also mark the paint, its been reported on here before.
Paddy_R

Post by Paddy_R »

Depends on how you install them. Bit of 3M clear film behind them and jobs a good one. Never seen them eat right through the paint though. Anyway hope you get it sorted and it doesn't cost too much. Looks like it should be pretty easy to sort.
BadBoy

Custom

Post by BadBoy »

Paddy_R wrote:Depends on how you install them. Bit of 3M clear film behind them and jobs a good one. Never seen them eat right through the paint though. Anyway hope you get it sorted and it doesn't cost too much. Looks like it should be pretty easy to sort.
Yeh, both sides getting stripped and re protected and painted.

Makes me think of getting some side skirts and just fxing the front edges.
Paddy_R

Post by Paddy_R »

That 3M clear tape does a really good job. Used 3M carbon fibre effect vinyl once which worked well too.