Intake Manifold Problem

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
jtbrown
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, 19" Lugano Alloys, Bi-Xenons, Cruise Control, Truffle Vienna Leather Interior, Parking Sensors, RNS 510, 12 Way Adjustable / Heated Seats, Winter Pack, Bluetooth Phone kit

Intake Manifold Problem

Post by jtbrown »

I've been getting P2015 error for a few days now (Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)). It was really rough while idling and had a few flat spots while lightly accelerating.

I noticed that the plastic piece connecting the motor to the flap had popped out. See following video at approx 2:50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvfVUkuPY0k

So i pushed it back in and it was ok again, I cleared the error code and carried on using my car. The error code then came back and I had a look and the part had popped out again. This keeps happening every so often.

I saw that this part should be covered under warranty up to 120,000 miles / 10 years but this isn't for certain I need a garage to do a VIN lookup on my car to tell me... I tried my local VW and they said they need to plug it in to their diagnostics before they do the VIN lookup as it's part of their warranty process... this is going to cost me £80+ and it's not a guarantee that i'm covered for the part and it's not known if i'll be able to have a full cover of the cost / partial cover. They also want £350 for the part..

So now i've ordered a new intake manifold from ebay and plan to fit it myself following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7c35MJq5e0

Anyone else had a similar issue / have any tips?

I'm tempted to give the valves etc a bit of a clean too while i'm at it!

I've had a few problems with my Roc..

In the 10 months of owning it I've had a snapped suspension coil, replaced spark plugs, replaced 1 coil, and replaced the PCV breather.. on the plus side I've learned a lot and it hasn't been too expensive as it's all DIY.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Re: Intake Manifold Problem

Post by Roy_01 »

Its a familiar problem, here is a solution for it: http://www.dieselgeek.com/P2015_Repair_ ... -p2015.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jtbrown
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, 19" Lugano Alloys, Bi-Xenons, Cruise Control, Truffle Vienna Leather Interior, Parking Sensors, RNS 510, 12 Way Adjustable / Heated Seats, Winter Pack, Bluetooth Phone kit

Post by jtbrown »

Roy_01 wrote:Its a familiar problem, here is a solution for it: http://www.dieselgeek.com/P2015_Repair_ ... -p2015.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Roy, I think the mechanism is a little different on the diesel engines. Mine's a 2.0 TSI. The component looks like this. The part which is failing is on the far right hand side it keeps popping out, and when I push it in... it sits further inside that the one in the pic which makes me think something has broke inside the manifold.

jayroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Vienna Leather, Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Bluetooth & Parrot, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons

Post by jayroc »

Jtbrown,
I've got the same error code and problem on mine for a few months now but it does not affect performance or cause any drivability issue at the moment so I'm just going to ignore it unless there is a risk of further damage to something else. Mileage is 40k. What's your mileage ?
jtbrown

Post by jtbrown »

jayroc wrote:Jtbrown,
I've got the same error code and problem on mine for a few months now but it does not affect performance or cause any drivability issue at the moment so I'm just going to ignore it unless there is a risk of further damage to something else. Mileage is 40k. What's your mileage ?
72K. Usually mine's fine, it's when it pops out all the way and creates an air leak. It then runs really badly on idle / light acceleration. It's quite easy to push back again, I'm tempted as a temporary fix to clip something over it to stop it pushing out.
jayroc
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Vienna Leather, Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Bluetooth & Parrot, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons

Post by jayroc »

Hi Jtbrown,
Whenever u have problems with the intake manifold does your engine warning light come on?
jtbrown

Post by jtbrown »

This is a picture someone else has taken and it's basically what is happening to my manifold... the part attached to the flapper motor pops out of the manifold.

This is what the part looks like when it's in (not causing an air leak).

I've taken the part out which keeps falling out on its own every so often. I can't see what would actually hold it in / stop it from falling out?

I'm tempted to put something over the part to clamp it in place as a temporary fix. I'm not sure if it's the air pressure in the manifold that pushes it out, or if something internal to the manifold has come loose / rounded off where it attaches to the triangular hole seen in the 3rd picture.
jtbrown

Post by jtbrown »

Ok think I've come up with a temporary solution. I've basically put a bit of glue on the inside of the plastic piece and pushed it back in. It seems to have worked, my car's running sweet again.

This is what it attaches to:

Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

Nice one, hope it's doing well. Is the triangle piece rotating inside the bush wich you glued to the housing?
Wadeya001
With a: Manual box
Options: Auto wipers
Auto headlights
Media system

Post by Wadeya001 »

I've just had a new manifold today due to a P2015 fault. Needs a new temperature sensor too aparently (car thinks it's running at 170*) :/ but I'll get that done ASAP too.
jtbrown

Post by jtbrown »

P2015 error has come back, but my car is driving much better. I guess the drivability issues are caused by the air leak with the part popping out. Suppose the only way i'll get to the bottom of this is by taking the inlet manifold off!

At least someone made this very helpful video :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7c35MJq5e0
balli931
In: Indium Grey
Options: nn

Post by balli931 »

The flaps seize inside and when it try's to move them the rod pops off or snappes inside.
Saw hundreds to do it when I worked for vw
jtbrown

Post by jtbrown »

Finally sorted the issue. I replaced the manifold... after taking it off I noticed the valves were coated in carbon so I cleaned that off and finally put it all back together with the new manifold. I cleaned the tips of the injectors too. Engine light (p2015 error) has gone on its own now and the car feels much smoother / quiet while cruising and the tick-over sounds much better.

Was a pretty big job... some really difficult to reach nuts / bolts, took me 3 evenings to do.

Hopefully my fuel efficiency will be a little bit better now too, will have to see!

jayroc

Post by jayroc »

Wow! Jtbrown well done!
Perhaps you'll help me fix mine too when or if it breaks?
jtbrown

Post by jtbrown »

jayroc wrote:Wow! Jtbrown well done!
Perhaps you'll help me fix mine too when or if it breaks?
If you've got any questions I can try and help. The Youtube video was really useful. I really like the humble mechanics channel.
Solosheep

Post by Solosheep »

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I have this problem too what was the part number for the Manifold? Just so I can get a rough Idea about the price. Also I have seen this was a know issue with all cars in the USA so why not here?
Emilio_
Options: Panoramic sunroof, leather interior, cruise control, parking sensors

Post by Emilio_ »

Part number for the manifold is 06j-133-201-bd, I think some older ones ended in "as". I have the same issue now too.
dimexi
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

I am having this issue too Emilio; the part is 336£ from TPS/VW retailer. Some people on here ordered it from europaparts, which is an american based company that deal in the VAG group car parts. I ordered mine from there and it's in the post already with fedex. It came to about $250, and that converted to about £173 when I did the arithmetic - so a saving of £163 already.

My issue is getting someone I trust to fit it. I called one indie who refused to even touch the car (citing many problems with the engine :rolleyes: ), so he gave me a number to his mate who said he'd fit it for 105£... Now, that's another huge saving. The guy seemed genuine, as he called me back and told me to only get a VW part, and not some cheap muck up.

I will get another labour only quote from an indie my friend used, and weigh up my options.. Cant wait to get this done, as my car just doesnt feel as nice with the worry of my EML staying on

EDIT: Tbh, I would have got VW to sort it and gone down the goodwill route, but I have remapped the engine, and I cant be assed for them to give me a lecture about that
Emilio_
Options: Panoramic sunroof, leather interior, cruise control, parking sensors

Post by Emilio_ »

Brilliant cheers. I'm thinking about going down the same route as the only uprated one I could find was £700. Luckily I work in a garage so I'll be able to fit the part myself. Hopefully you get it sorted!
Last edited by Emilio_ on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dimexi
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Ah!!! Lucky you emilio (working in a garage), definitely buy from europa parts, they seem to be genuine Vw sellers, so quite a saver, and it arrives in good time! (I chose FedEx priority).