Scirocco CR170 "Project Racek0r"

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Scirocco CR170 "Project Racek0r"

Post by xjay1337 »

Going to be a bit of a performance build so thought I would document everything that I do in one place :)

Here's the car when I picked it up... my little Golf to the right.

Got it back to the unit and gave it a clean... covered in tar but to be fair for 114k the paint isn't too heavily swirled. I will be correcting it after paintwork.

So far I have done the following:

- Needle Sweep , Alarm Chirps via VCDS
- LED bulbs on the front end
- 21 SMD number plate bulbs.

Mods are quite slow at the moment purely because I still have my GTI which I am splitting down, so selling all my wheels, taking the air ride off etc.

Currently for the Scirocco I have the following sat about ready to be fitted early October...

- H&R Springs
- Powerflex front wishbone bushes
- Superpro Ball Joints
- Recaro Buckets (from an RS4)
- Audio build (Rockford Fosgate sub, Hertz ESK163L speakers, sound deadening)

And once my Air Ride has sold, I'll be getting TTRS/DB9 calipers, with 340mm J Hooked Discs and braided lines.

I am also booked in at Darkside Developments for my intermediate level of tuning (DPF/Cat/EGR Removal and Remap) in Mid November (That's the soonest they can get me in! :cry: )
While I am after the GTB Turbo Conversion it's 4500 by the time I factor in the clutch, which is fine; But I need the DPF removed prior to this as my commute daily is 2 miles and while I do about 30k per year I don't want it a worry in the back of my mind, compared to my Stage 2 GTI it's very slow and breathless so around 200bhp and 350lb ft of torque will make me very happy.

Will update with lots of shiney photos as things get done. :yes:
Last edited by xjay1337 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
whiteDevil_170
In: Candy White
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Re: Scirocco Diesel

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Good stuff jay lots planned already.
I recognise the golf gti from dw.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

whiteDevil_170 wrote:Good stuff jay lots planned already.
I recognise the golf gti from dw.
Cheers man!
Yeah I post on there from time to time :)

As my Turbines are now off for a refurb I've had to put some wheels on the car just to keep it movable around the unit...

lol!
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

It's back on the stock Interlagos wheels.

Freshly refurbished in a Shadow Chrome.

My Recaro Buckets also went in at the weekend however I have an issue with it draining the battery when the heated seats plug is in - I imagine the pins are different so I will need to check some wiring diagrams and sort that out...
click for build thread
alanr
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: GT 2.0 TDI 184 tdi r line. Black addition

Post by alanr »

like the wheels , got any close ups , and who and how much per corner

cars looking good already

cheers
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Seats! :D

And the wheels...

I don't know how much it was, I had it done through Detail My Car (where I help out my friend Nick who owns and runs it) as I bought the car from his Director at his 9-5 job. I think it would be around £250-280.. pretty good job to be fair. Look great at night :)
click for build thread
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Love the seats! Bet they cost a fortune though
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

I bought them last year for my Golf so the cost has certainly lost it's sting lol :)

Very excited for after work then I can get the bits fitted.
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Getting busy with things...

To do...

H&R Lowering springs
Superpro camber adjustable ball joints
Powerflex wishbone bushes (front and rear).

Pressed the old bushes out (which were in good condition to be fair, perfectly usable considering 115k on them!)

New Powerflex ones in...

Unfortunately the alignment ramp was stuck up so couldn't track it, the next morning I drove to get it tracked after 10-15 miles of driving to make sure everything was bedded in and gave a quick check to make sure nothing had come loose, all good...

Here's alignment printout.

Was total of 23.9 degrees of toe out! Crazy. No wonder the tyres were squealing on roundabouts and what not.
But much better now.
With the Superpro ball joints I'm now rocking -2 degrees of front camber which really helps the driving experience, as well as looking good.

My mate Jason was very kind and without him I'd have been completely stuck. Fitting any polybush is a pain in the arse but these Powerflex ones were faaaaar more difficult. The grease they provide you with is pointless and once the bushes are in they are so stiff and tight you have virtually no movement to make things line up.

But once they're in, wow, it drives awesome! :)
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Forgot to put a picture up of the finished product...

:yes:
click for build thread
roc82
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by roc82 »

it looks very good, enjoy the new mods :)
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

roc82 wrote:it looks very good, enjoy the new mods :)
Enjoy them every time I drive it :eyepop: :yes:

Can't wait for the extra power and the additional stopping power.

Fitted a GTI gearknob yesterday... just a nice little mod again, gearknob being something you interface with regularly.. Want a short shift kit.

click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Some updates.

Had some personal issues which have really knocked my but progress has been moving along while I get back on track (slowly).

After the issue with my Buckets draining the battery, the original battery never was the same and was struggling to start the car, so put in a Bosch S5 007 (same battery that I had replaced in my Golf only a few months prior!! (Grr).

Also, I got around to buying an adjustable short shift kit which I really do enjoy, and has tightened up the driving experience as a whole, and driving any other car now feels strange.

In other news, in preperation for my brakes, which are going on, on the 15th of November, I popped over to AKS late one evening and test fitted my wheel on the same set up (minus the disc, as mine will be J Hooked) to figure out the clearance... the Scirocco wheels are really quite poor for brake clearance, so a 12mm spacer is required. While not that bad, is a bit more than I wanted to run, and just accelerates my requirement for different wheels. (I have the ones I want in mind already).

And I decided to give it a quick Glaze with some AIO polish and a couple of coats of FK1000p wax just to keep it easier to clean in the short term until I can get some time to correct the paintwork.

Also to come

- Full pre-darkside service including new fuel filter and Millers Nanodrive 5w40 oil
- Darkside tuning
- Full 3 inch TBE (cat back section to be completed after Darkside as that needs to be done first)
- Rear polybush kit
- Uprated anti roll bars (likely H&R)
- New wheels
- Audio work to commence ASAP
click for build thread
DAN180Y
In: Reflex Silver
Options: 18" MOMO Revenge alloys
VWR Springs
Stage 1 Remap
R side skirts
K&N Panel Filter
Front Splitter
20mm Spacers
Gloss Black VW Emblems
LED Interior Conversion

Re: Scirocco CR170 "Project Racek0r"

Post by DAN180Y »

looks like alot of work going into this mate looking forward to seeing how you get on :yes:
Build Thread: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=17836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current: Scirocco 2.0 GT TSI
Previous: Golf mk5 1.4 TSI Match, Golf mk4 1.6SE
Bowser
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: Milltek Non Res exhaust
VWR lowering springs
Neuspeed P-Flo
APR stage 1
Pressed metal plates

Post by Bowser »

It will be an animal once it's got a Darkside kit! I had a PD130 Ibiza back in the earlier days of hybrid diesels and it made 240.9bhp and 380ft/lb. Caught Imprezas, Evos and S2000s out!

A mate has a Darkside 2260 kit on his Golf Anniversary. The turbo noise is unreal and pulls like a train. His originally made near enough 300bhp but was toned back due to excessive smoke. Still smokes incredibly! Haha
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

DAN180Y wrote:looks like alot of work going into this mate looking forward to seeing how you get on :yes:
Cheers bud!!
Bowser wrote:It will be an animal once it's got a Darkside kit! I had a PD130 Ibiza back in the earlier days of hybrid diesels and it made 240.9bhp and 380ft/lb. Caught Imprezas, Evos and S2000s out!

A mate has a Darkside 2260 kit on his Golf Anniversary. The turbo noise is unreal and pulls like a train. His originally made near enough 300bhp but was toned back due to excessive smoke. Still smokes incredibly! Haha
Not a full on Darkside kit, as partly pointless at the moment, talking an extra £3.5k for another 40bhp... head limits around 270-280 before needing to be ported. Injectors are maxing out around 250-260 currently. I would go for a GTB2056 or see if I can find an equivalent VKLR roller bearing turbo, as I love the noise!
Bet the Ibiza was a lot of fun, especially being a smaller car :eyepop: :eyepop:

This was my old Golf, and from what I've been reading, it's possible to get the CR170 to somewhere around the same figures, so if I'm anywhere near the ballpark then I will be really chuffed.
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/g ... -9-8v-bkc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

So a very busy day on Saturday...

Here's what went on.

AKS Tuning Aston Martin / TTRS BBK - Consisting of 4 Pot Brembo calipers, custom mounting brackets, 340mm (very light for the size) EBC USR disc and Pagid RS4-2 Pads along with HEL braided lines
BMC Panel Filter
Gen oil & fuel filters
Millers Nanodrive 5w40
New genuine drop links
Super Pro Dogbone Insert (from a petrol... will get to this later).
Subframe spacers
12mm H&R Trak+ spacers (front and rear).
Fiscon Advanced PF03

I rocked up very tired, after having 3 hours sleep (working late detailing the nigher before), at around 9:45am to my buddy Alex who owns AKS Tuning over in Bedford, around 2 hours away.
I had been booked in for some time and in preperation for Darkside's increased power levels I felt even at standard power the stock brakes were severely lacking and wouldn't give me the confidence to be able to push on, along with wanting to make sure mechanically everything was spot on.

The calipers up close

Fitted to the car while having a bit of a working lunch...(they're actually delicious).

Pressure bleeding the whole system (front and rear)/

Fitting this bad boy....

Fiscon Polar Advanced (PF03). Works great with my existing Fiscon Basic+ Bluetooth set up (factory Bluetooth removed by previous owner). It was updated first with the latest software prior to installing. The main reason behind getting the Polar was that I wanted a boost gauge. Newsouth did make a 0-35 PSI gauge which would match my standard dash lighting, great, however, Newsouth did not make a air vent pod in right hand drive... they made one for the LHD market, and of course the Mk5 Golf...The only available mount was a steering column mount, which I have had in my GTI and my TDI prior to that - And it was horrible, rubbed on the steering wheel making a squeaky noise. You could resolve this by sanding it down but it still didn't look very factory. On my GTI I bought an air vent pod, but as mentioned, was not available for the Scirocco... so I was left with 2 options. Buy another vent and construct my own vent pod for the Scirocco or come up with an alernative solution. I wanted something that would be in, in time for Darkside, so I spoke to Alex and, the Newsouth Gauge would have come in at around £125 by the time you've bought a self sealing take off. Buying a vent was around £30 and then the time of making one that actually looked factory, still costing around £90 including the gauge, where as I managed to get the Fiscon for £180 new. It was slightly more over all but provided a wealth of additional information, intake air temperature, exhaust gas temperatures, fuel in liters, coolant temperature as a figure, DPF status (which will be irrelevant as it's being removed soon, but nevertheless), I was able to work out when regenerations were happening, see things about fuelling, injector durations, quantities, etc... very clever and geeky.

It was a bit fiddly to install, but not difficult at all - the wipers and the wiper motors need to come off and you get access to I think it's the CAN Gateway by removing a small plate under the windscreen

12mm spacers fitted to the front and rear... car looks a little high as it's just been lowered back down and hasn't settled.

The spacers were needed up front due to the adaptor brackets pushing the caliper out slightly, combined with the Scirocco Turbines being really poor for clearance to begin with.. We tried a 10mm and it caught, 12mm clears with barely a sheet of paper between the caliper and the spoke.

The BMC Panel filter was installed, new fuel filter, new oil filter along with high performance Millers Nanodrive stuff, the subframe spacer kit was installed and the Superpro dogbonoe insert fitted...

Alex didn't have any diesel ones in stock, which are softer, as diesels have more vibration, so we put a petrol one in... which is great, reduces transmission movements A LOT, but unlike the insert I had in my PD engine'd Mk5 from years ago (which I didn't notice any extra vibration), on this I get quite a shake at idle and pulling away, or low revs. Now currently the bush is very new and will bed in. I love how it feels, and at the moment the extra NVH isn't annoying, but if it does then I can just swap it out for a softer (diesel) bush.

Anyway, not really put the brakes through any serious strain as it's been wet and I've just been going around doing my usual business - but I've used them a few times and MY GOD they don't half stop you, they literally pull your face off. Pedal travel is great, I was worried that I would end up with a longer pedal but this is spot on, it's quite short and hard (oy oy!) which I like, but not so short that you can't be progressive still around town. The best upgrade I have made to the car yet, period.

Now just onwards waiting for Darkside, which is 5 days away now :-)
Last edited by xjay1337 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
click for build thread
Tom
Options: #TeamAF

INSTAGRAM: @tomhamsyo
Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

love the progress with this and the way it's heading, always good to see things done properly... I admire your work :)
http://www.autofinesse.co.uk
DM me for Scirocco Central exclusive Autofinesse discounts/freebies with your next order!
DAN180Y
In: Reflex Silver
Options: 18" MOMO Revenge alloys
VWR Springs
Stage 1 Remap
R side skirts
K&N Panel Filter
Front Splitter
20mm Spacers
Gloss Black VW Emblems
LED Interior Conversion

Post by DAN180Y »

:eek:

i have one question. what do you do for work and are you hiring ! :nod:
Build Thread: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=17836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current: Scirocco 2.0 GT TSI
Previous: Golf mk5 1.4 TSI Match, Golf mk4 1.6SE
irckorus

Post by irckorus »

12mm spacer you need to put for the new break to fit with the interlagos?