Dipped beam on one headlight not working

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
kanedingle
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box

Dipped beam on one headlight not working

Post by kanedingle »

Hi every one.
Today my dipped beam decided to give up on my drivers side headlight.
I changed the bulb and this did not cure the problem?
To start with I had the light on the dash saying I had a bulb out but now the dash light is staying off. But headlight still not working :( high beam works tho

Are the headlights on separate fuses or relays?
Or if any one has any tips on how to fix would be great :)

Cheers guys
sbull92
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: GT, Winter Pack

Re: Dipped beam on one headlight not working

Post by sbull92 »

I had this exact problem, with me it was the the actual bulb holder, the thing you twist out, was faulty, picked a new one up from vw for about £7 worked a dream, the part no is 5KO.941.109A.
2009 Rocco GT 2.0 TDI 140BHP Candy White
kanedingle

Post by kanedingle »

Thanks for the reply dude, I did try swapping the bulb holder from one headlight to the other one but still scratching my head. Even tried another headlight for my mates rocco and that hasn't worked iver :(
sbull92
Options: GT, Winter Pack

Post by sbull92 »

Couldn't tell you then pal, sorry cant't help further. Possibly wiring or dodgy connection between holder to housing but can't say for sure
2009 Rocco GT 2.0 TDI 140BHP Candy White
kanedingle

Post by kanedingle »

Thanks anyway mate :)
kanedingle

Post by kanedingle »

Just to update every one. Car was at vdub for 3 days and after testing circuits and relays, traced problem back to ecu. Put a new ecu in under warranty and jobs a good en :)
Just glad I didn't have it remapped yet
Tymondo
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

Im having the same problem too (Drivers side dipped)

Strange as originally it said the right hand side fog needs replacing on the way to work, on the way back from work the fog is working again then the dipped has give up ghost. Little confused and tried changing the bulb last night to no joy, might try and change the bulb holder and see if that fixes the problem.

Little reluctant to send it too VW and have a hefty bill at the end of it :rolleyes:
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MNM
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: DynAudio, PDC, DRL LED, Cruise Control, Vienna Leather, Sports/electric/heated seats, Folding mirrors, Red Footwell lights, Eibach Springs.

Post by MNM »

It just happened to me too! (Drivers side)
Changing bulbs also didnt work.. I'm going to remove the headlight this weekend to check the housing of the bulb holder.

The drivers side bulb holder clipped out easily (to replace the bulb) but just wouldn't go back in with that click sound.
Tymondo
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

Something weird is going on with mine, just mine out and played about with the bulb holders. Figured both of them work so the bulb is a duff and now the fogs are playing up drivers side too?

:shrug:
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pheo

Post by Pheo »

Used this thread to help me diagnose a faulty near side headlight - bulb went and replaced to no avail, on closer inspection a new bulb holder was required due to melting & damage on the existing one. So for future ref well worth changing if the bulb doesn't help. £7.70 inc VAT from my dealers parts dept.
falkirk40

Post by falkirk40 »

Same thing has happend to my headlams, bulb still wotrking, where did you get the bulb holder part 5KO.941.109A
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

You would get that at the parts counter of a VW dealer..... they would likely need to order it for you so perhaps phone and pick it up when it comes in (can often be next day).
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

For very small parts (bulbs etc), your dealer may even post the item to you. They will charge about £3 for P+P but in most cases, that is way cheaper (and time saving) than driving to the dealer.
mistersan
In: Pewter Grey

Post by mistersan »

Hi All,

I'm having a nightmare with mine too - Exactly the same issue described as above

I've replaced the bulb holder too and it still dosent work :(
Changed the bulb x 2
Main beam works fine
Checked all connections with the correct ampage too.

My car has been remapped and is out of warranty so hopefully not an ecu replacement :(

Any help appreciated!!!

Cheers

San
rapido
Options: *NOW SOLD* 19" Luganos in Gloss Anthracite, Heated Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Bluetooth, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Front Splitter

Post by rapido »

I've had this issue for a while now. Dipped beam on Drivers side not working.

If I tapped the front of the light housing it would jump into action, I could drive for hours and it works fine but switch off the car and then switch it back on after an hour and its gone again.

Strangely I left the car for a week in the summer when I went abroad and then for about a month it was fine.

Unfortunately again it reappeared and I have to hit rather than tap the housing to get it to work. Took it to kwik-fit, the took the bulk off and fiddled around with it but as soon as I got home it was back off again.

When I put my hand in where the bulb is, I can feel a wire. if I move it slightly light comes on. Switch the key off, lock the car then switch it back on after 5 mins and light gone again- very strange as the wire hasn't moved.

Anyone know if this is a simple fix or a wider ECU problem. Car under warranty so no issues there but i'm afraid the might play with the wire, think its fixed but an hr later i'm back to square one
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Have you tried removing the bulb and replacing it? A bit of a fiddle to do. While out check the bulb connections for corrosion.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

It could be the bulb holder. I've read a few posts on here with similar problem and it was down to the bulb holder.
Parsx
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Mods:
Black VW Badges and others removed.
APR Stage 1
Red Pinstripe
HT Autos Splitter (Now dead)
ITG induction kit
H&R Springs

Post by Parsx »

+1 for bulb holder. Had a similar problem with mine, worked intermittently and worked every time when pushed slightly towards the outside of the car.

Got a bulb holder from vw, bout £9 and it's sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eltotti
In: Pewter Grey

Post by Eltotti »

Hi guys,

I don’t know much about cars but thought I should share the way I got mine fixed.
I had exactly the same problem with my headlight on the right side. I had changed the light bulbs of the right one but it still didn’t work. So after some research I decided to switch the bulb holders to see if it would change position. (Right one didn’t work so by switching it I could see if the left one was not going to work.) This way I would be sure of the exact problem and order a new bulb holder. So, when I switched them and turned on my car they somehow both illuminated like it should be.

So I would advice to first try out switching the bulb holders (which is not that difficult, I did it by watching a youtube video and I don’t know anything about cars.)

Just wanted to share it :)

Greets!
sc0tt88
Options: ?

Post by sc0tt88 »

When you guys talk about getting one from VW, how do you go about actually buying this? I can find these for around £7 but not genuine ones. The one I bought on ebay didn't work, so looking for a genuine one.