UK Lee's GTS build thread :-)

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
Shaun1982
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Re: UK Lee's GTS build thread :-)

Post by Shaun1982 »

Looks cracking mate! How much do you think you've dropped it?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Just waiting for the day when you stick a Jet Engine on that thing and get it to fly... :p
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Looks great Lee!
Phil
uklee
I drive a: GTS TDI
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Post by uklee »

Shaun1982 wrote:Looks cracking mate! How much do you think you've dropped it?

Thanks ! :) . I measured the ride height before i started work and remeasured after 100 miles or so .So far - It's dropped by 32mm at the front and 28mm at the rear .
I set the rear height adjustment at midpoint when i fitted them and have +/- 20mm either way to play with. I'm gonna leave it to settle for another week and then i'll even it up :yes:

Lee
metaljay
Options: Stage 2+ Revo ;)

Post by metaljay »

looks really really good.
Wish i had the balls to go down the spoiler route, i keep backing out last minute
Shaun1982
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184

Post by Shaun1982 »

I was expecting you to say more than that actually. Looks like more

uklee
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Post by uklee »

metaljay wrote:looks really really good.
Wish i had the balls to go down the spoiler route, i keep backing out last minute

Lol Really .. ? :eyepop: - You've fitted a big brake conversion , remapped the motor to Stage 2+ , loads of other mods and you're worried about fitting a cup spoiler ? :shrug:

Just do it Jay , a cup spoiler would really suit your car . It was one of the first things that i did and i am really pleased with the result . I get lots of positive remarks about it from other car enthusiasts too " sporty but not chavvy" is one of my favorite comments lol . If for some reason you didn't like it , then its less than an hours work to refit your original one :)

Lee
metaljay
Options: Stage 2+ Revo ;)

Post by metaljay »

uklee wrote:
metaljay wrote:looks really really good.

Lol Really .. ? :eyepop: - You've fitted a big brake conversion , remapped the motor to Stage 2+ , loads of other mods and you're worried about fitting a cup spoiler ? :shrug:

Just do it Jay , a cup spoiler would really suit your car . It was one of the first things that i did and i am really pleased with the result . I get lots of positive remarks about it from other car enthusiasts too " sporty but not chavvy" is one of my favorite comments lol . If for some reason you didn't like it , then its less than an hours work to refit your original one :)

Lee
You can't really see any of the mods I've done though, fitting a spoiler is quite obvious haha.

My girlfriend thinks they look good, its just all my friends whom say ill ruin my car if i do it...
I thought it was glued in place? didn't think you could remove it easily?
Luke.08
In: Oryx White
Options: Pano roof. Winter pack. RNS510 with dab radio. Dynaudio. cruise control. Bi-Xenon headlights. Folding mirrors. Colour MFD, Recaro seats

Post by Luke.08 »

Yeah metaljay just go for it I have it on mine too. Bizzarly when I showed mine it wasnt well recieved on here but it a thing of its better in person I have no regrets getting mine fitted. All free of charge I may add
uklee

Post by uklee »

metaljay wrote: .....I thought it was glued in place? didn't think you could remove it easily?
It's held on by four studs and some double sided bonding tape (like the kind that holds the side moldings on) - whilst it's not a simple bolt on , it's by no means permanent
Luke.08
In: Oryx White
Options: Pano roof. Winter pack. RNS510 with dab radio. Dynaudio. cruise control. Bi-Xenon headlights. Folding mirrors. Colour MFD, Recaro seats

Post by Luke.08 »

Mines glued (bonded) on
uklee

Post by uklee »

Taken directly from the VW Workshop repair guide (EKTA)
"Removing roof spoiler

Note -The side trim is not be removed.
– Remove rear lid trim and window frame trim → General body repairs, interior; Rep. gr.70.
– Disconnect connector -3-.
– Remove nuts -4-.
– Using wedge -T10383-, release adhesive tape -2- on left and right of roof spoiler -1-.
– Close rear lid.
– Pull roof spoiler -1- upwards -arrows- out of clips -2-.
– Remove existing adhesive residues using adhesive residue remover -VAS 6349-.

Installing roof spoiler
Fitting notes
t Use double-sided adhesive tape -D 438 515 A2- if adhesive tape was damaged during removal.
t Use rubber adhesive -D 002 100- when adhesive tape was not damaged during removal.
t If a roof spoiler is being applied for the first time on a new vehicle and newly painted surface, the procedure in → Workshop manual "Paint" ⇒ Paintwork repairs ⇒ Paint finish ⇒ Mouldings ⇒ Film should be observed.
t If a roof spoiler is removed and reinstalled, only use adhesive remover -D 002 000 10- to remove the adhesive remains.
t Ensure that bonding surfaces are free of dust and grease.
t The roof spoiler must be bonded in place immediately after cleaning.
t Remove protective backing immediately before installation. Working temperature approx. 21 °C.
l The rear lid is adjusted.
– Clean bonding surface -7- thoroughly with adhesive remover -D 002 000 10- immediately prior to bonding.
– Press roof spoiler clips -5- into rear lid.
– Check seating of seals -6-.
– Align roof spoiler -1- then remove protective backing of adhesive tape -2-
– Press roof spoiler on forcefully in area of adhesive tape -2-.
– Tighten nuts -3 and 4- in following sequence.
t First tighten centre nut -3-
t Then tighten both outer nuts -4-
t Finally tighten both inner nuts -4-
– Specified torque for nuts -3 and 4-: 6 Nm. "

The 'bonding' tape is just a couple of strips of double sided tape approx 10mm wide -like i said , about an hours work - max
uklee

Post by uklee »

Today i got rid of the factory bonnet prop / stay and replaced it with a gas strut kit :D

It's a great little mod , and relatively cheap & easy to do :yes:

In case you fancy doing the same , and because I'm so good to you lot - i've written a comprehensive 'How To' here > http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 37&t=16760

Lee :)
william@mss
Site Sponsor

Post by william@mss »

uklee wrote:My next mod was one of the best 'value for money' things i've done to my rocco so far - a full LED interior lamp upgrade :)

I just followed the instructions is this thread http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 39&t=16396 . I spent less than £25 and 30 minutes later the interior was transformed - i cant believe i've waited this long to do it !

After that , was probably the most intensive , but long overdue change so far - Lowering the car ! . What a massive difference ! :yes:
Just look back at the pic's of when i picked the car up on the 1st page in this thread and compare them to this :nod:

I bought an MSS Streets Kit from William at MSS , and spent Saturday morning fitting it to the car on my driveway .

To say i'm pleased with the results is an understatement :clap:

Thank you Lee and we like that 'MSS' looks on the Rocco...brings the car out alright!

Just patiently waiting for the full road review - everything crossed that our product gives a good account of itself.

William@MSSKITS
MSS KITS
Performance
Spring Kits for the VW ACC/DCC and Standard suspensions
Web Site: http://www.msskits.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/MSSSpringKits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Email: info@msskits.com
kanedingle
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Viper Green

Post by kanedingle »

Looking good lee :)
roc82

Post by roc82 »

it looks awesome lowered!! :)
Spc
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Revo stage 2+
2XX PS

Post by Spc »

The most beautiful Rocco i have ever seen :clap:
Randy4
In: Indium Grey
Options: Phase 2 model, Black leather, 18inch alloys, pano roof, hill start

Post by Randy4 »

looks awesome, I'm so gonna get me some of those gas struts!
octoplus
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black

Post by octoplus »

uklee wrote:My next mod was one of the best 'value for money' things i've done to my rocco so far - a full LED interior lamp upgrade :)

I just followed the instructions is this thread http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 39&t=16396 . I spent less than £25 and 30 minutes later the interior was transformed - i cant believe i've waited this long to do it !

After that , was probably the most intensive , but long overdue change so far - Lowering the car ! . What a massive difference ! :yes:
Just look back at the pic's of when i picked the car up on the 1st page in this thread and compare them to this :nod:

I bought an MSS Streets Kit from William at MSS , and spent Saturday morning fitting it to the car on my driveway .

To say i'm pleased with the results is an understatement :clap:

At the same time , i wanted to fill the arches out a bit more to get the right stance . I dont want to replace the GTS's 18" Thunder alloys - as i really like them , so i fitted a set of 4 x 12mm Hub-centric spacers , complete with longer bolts and locking bolts. The wheels are now flush with the arches and it looks really FAT - especially from the back :yes:

For the benefit of other members on this forum I took loads of pics and notes during my install - i'm going to write up a full 'How to lower your rocco' over the new few weeks -
But for now I'm too busy having fun in this bad boy :hyper:

Your rocco looks stunning! How does msskit feel compared to stock? Definitely a good fitment, surprised that the drop are almost as equal as coilover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uklee

Post by uklee »

Thanks for all the compliments :) . I really think that the car sits 'just right' now.

The drop is only 30-35mm or so ( so nowhere near what you could get with coil-overs ) , and to be honest is about as low as i would want to go and still remain reasonably practical for the UK's roads (speed humps , driveways etc) . I think that adding the spacers to fill the arches has made a massive difference too - and there's probably an element of the car now looking a lot more 'squat' that makes it appear lower than it actually is.

As for the effectiveness of the MSS Streets Kit , i do intend to give a full & frank review - but in the interests of fairness I'm waiting until i've completed the wheel alignment ( i wanted to give it time to settle & also to be able to set it up properly on our own wheel alignment kit at the R&D centre where i work) .

Lee