UK Lee's GTS build thread :-)

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
Brocky

Re: UK Lee's GTS build thread :-)

Post by Brocky »

Where did you get the rear GTS badge from, Lee?

Also, did the dealer charge for painting the mirror covers? If so, how much?
uklee
I drive a: GTS TDI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Post by uklee »

Brocky wrote:Where did you get the rear GTS badge from, Lee?

Also, did the dealer charge for painting the mirror covers? If so, how much?
The rear badge is just a RH front wing badge , but applied to the tailgate in place of the 2.0 TDI - i got it from a dealer , and it cost me about £16.
They painted the mirror covers as part of the deal.

Lee
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

Thanks.

I'm getting a GTS in Indium Grey. The dealer has agreed to de-stripe it, but I didn't ask about the mirror caps, as I figured I could buy the R's gloss replacements and switch them myself. I'm now finding that you can only get them primed and then painting is extra.
Sidewaysgt4

Post by Sidewaysgt4 »

Beautiful. Much better than without the stripes. Out of curiosity, is there anything chassis or engine-wise that makes it different from a gt or is it just cosmetic? If so what's the difference price wise between the two new and would it justify the better interior?
uklee
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Post by uklee »

The GTS is the next model up from the R Line (which itself is the next model up from the GT) . The GTS has got everything the standard R Line has, including the body kit ( the major difference over the GT ), plus some cosmetic extra's but there's no mechanical difference.

At VW's 'on the road' prices , a 6 speed Manual TDi177ps R Line , is £28,105 , the equivalent GTS is £465 more at £28,570 . Its the same £465 price difference for the 2.0 TSi 210ps petrol. (BTW - They dont do a Bluemotion TDi140ps in GTS trim )
For the extra £465 , you get the panoramic roof as standard (Normally a £735 option)
You also get the 18" accessory 'Thunder' alloys ( instead of the 19" Lugano's on the R Line - most folk would see this as a bit of a downgrade , but personally i prefer the ride with 18's)
Then it's just differences in trim -
Red brake calipers (2.0 TSi petrol versions only)
Red door mirrors
Stripes over bonnet, roof & tailgate
Unique GTS styling pack - uniquely shaped front & rear bumpers , radiator grille and side skirts ( Well , that's what the brochure says , but it sure looks like the standard R Line stuff to me ?)
Unique GTS badging
'Black Peak' decorative inserts on the facia
Unique Carpet mats with red edging
Unique Seat belts with red edging
Front leather sports seats with embroidered GTS logo & red stitching
Piano black air vent surrounds
Red stitching on the steering wheel , with GTS logo and piano black inserts
Unique GTS door sill protectors

and that's about it

For me personally - it was a no brainer to go for the GTS , and just whip the stripes off :)

Lee
Last edited by uklee on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

some nice little oem touches like the rear GTS badge etc, i sort of miss the stripes though
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

I agree, the rear GTS badge is a cool touch. Mine will come de-badged, but I think I may have a sole GTS badge put on where the R has it's rear badge.

I'm also starting to get a creeping notion that I should keep the stripes. There aren't many pictures of the Indium Grey GTS around, but in that colour the stripes don't seem to be quite as 'in yer face' as they do on the white or black versions.

Mine will have the 18" Thunder wheels, though.

That said, I still think 'boy racer' before I think 'R-Line with character' when I see them.

Hmmm....I dunno.
uklee

Post by uklee »

I really like the Indium Grey GTS , and you're right - that colour scheme is far less "chavtastic" than the others :hyper:

Maybe black mirrors , and then just ditch the red stripes (leaving the black ones) could tone it down enough to be subtle yet cool :nod:

Lee
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Brocky wrote:I agree, the rear GTS badge is a cool touch. Mine will come de-badged, but I think I may have a sole GTS badge put on where the R has it's rear badge.

I'm also starting to get a creeping notion that I should keep the stripes. There aren't many pictures of the Indium Grey GTS around, but in that colour the stripes don't seem to be quite as 'in yer face' as they do on the white or black versions.

That said, I still think 'boy racer' before I think 'R-Line with character' when I see them.

Hmmm....I dunno.
keep it like that and drop it on some H&R springs will just look spot on
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Jakehh

Post by Jakehh »

Is there a noticeable difference in ride quality when you put it on H&R springs? or are they quite reasonable?
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Brocky wrote:I agree, the rear GTS badge is a cool touch. Mine will come de-badged, but I think I may have a sole GTS badge put on where the R has it's rear badge.

Hmmm....I dunno.
now that is lovelly! Id keep it like that. Or just ditch the red stripes
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

uklee wrote:I really like the Indium Grey GTS , and you're right - that colour scheme is far less "chavtastic" than the others :hyper:

Maybe black mirrors , and then just ditch the red stripes (leaving the black ones) could tone it down enough to be subtle yet cool :nod:

Lee
That's a great shout actually. It will make it a little more subtle, whilst retaining the GTS character, somewhat.
wigit wrote:keep it like that and drop it on some H&R springs will just look spot on
whiteDevil_170 wrote:now that is lovelly! Id keep it like that. Or just ditch the red stripes
The stripes are definitely growing on me. I think I'll get the dealer to leave it as is, for the time being, and then see about resorting to just black stripes once I have had it a little while.

Mine will have the same wheels as Lee's. I prefer those Thunder wheels to the Lugano. The black Lugano do go well with the Indium Grey, though, I can't seem to find a single pic of an Indium GTS with Thunders on. :grumpy:

Anyway, sorry Lee. My intention wasn't to hijack your thread. I think you could easily pull it back on track with a few more pic's of your car, though. :clap:
uklee

Post by uklee »

Brocky wrote:...Anyway, sorry Lee. My intention wasn't to hijack your thread. I think you could easily pull it back on track with a few more pic's of your car, though. :clap:
Oh , OK then .... :lol:

Lee :D
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Seriously LOVE what you've done with your car lee!! All those little touches without going overboard are very classy in my opinion. I am green with envy ;)
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

She is a stunner!

That greyscale pic from the front end is awesome! I love the poppy, too. A classy touch that suits the car really well, especially with the Candy colour.
Komar
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125

Post by Komar »

how the those GTS rims look in live? :D

I want to buy them, but never seen them in live :D
I have 17" now....
uklee

Post by uklee »

Komar wrote:how the those GTS rims look in live? :D

I want to buy them, but never seen them in live :D
I have 17" now....
I think they look great in the flesh - certainly better than in pictures . You can get them from your local VW dealer , they are advertised in the accessory catalouge as '18" Thunder' alloy wheels . You can Machine finished / Black (like the GTS) or you can also get Machined finished / Titanium.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/acce ... /1#details

Lee
uklee

Post by uklee »

I had the roof & spoiler wrapped in gloss black yesterday. I had it done by a company called Wrap Kings , in Birmingham and it cost £130 . I'm really pleased with the result , it goes really well with the sunroof and 'finishes it off' lol :)

Lee :thumbup:
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

looks fantastic. Like what u did with the spoiler aswell. Not fully wraped.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
uklee

Post by uklee »

whiteDevil_170 wrote: looks fantastic. Like what u did with the spoiler aswell. Not fully wraped.
Cheers :) , I'd seen the black roof's on a few forum pics and i really liked the look - apart from when folk continued the wrap over the lip of the spoiler. that just didn't look right to me :shrug: . So i took some pics of my car and played with photoshop until i got the look i was after (I was thinking more 'OEM' than 'boy racer') .

Then i stood on the guys shoulder at the wrapping place to make sure a) i got what i wanted and b) they didnt go anywhere near my paintwork with a scalpel !
They used this really trick tape called 'wrap cut' - its like a 3mm pin stripe with a very fine filament wire built in. After cleaning and prepping the roof & spoiler , they put that on first , in the shape that i wanted , with a bit of an overhang- they then layed the vinyl over the top. Then they just pull up on the filament wire and it 'cuts' the vinyl from underneath - clever !
It means that should i decide to remove it , then there wont be any cut marks in my paint underneath the vinyl :nod:

The rounded corners were a bit of a pig for them , and they had to have a few goes at it before i was satisfied ( im a really fussy bugger ) - but it came out well in the end :yes:

Lee