1.4 TSi 160bhp - magnetic coupling problem

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: 1.4 TSi 160bhp - magnetic coupling problem

Post by RW1 »

1st video. Supercharger does not engage at those rpm's. Can't easily tell if initially the Scirocco is stationary. If the noise occurs when stationary in neutral that confirms it its not the water pump Supercharger Clutch as the clutch is not engaged by the Engine ECU in this condition.

Similar noise in 2nd video.

The both sound like a dry bearing. Four choices to track dowm. Water Pump, Alternator, AirCon Compressor & Belt Tension.
Is your AirCon working OK? Take a look at the Air Con Belt Pulley has a cover plate securely screwed on its outer pulley/belt edge. It is in the forward bottom right corner of the engine bay on the corner of the engine. There's a little hint of a loose plate in that sound.

3rd video. Yes, the little chirp made by the Water Pump's Supercharger Clutch engagement.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
the_winner
Options: Sport and Style Package ,Parktronic Sensors, Alarm

Post by the_winner »

At the 1st video the sound is 100% the supercharger ! I have hear the same sound at a lot 1.4 tsi with manual gearbox when they parking . In 1.4TSI With DSG you can hear the same sound if you press the accelerator a little more just a tap only in D or R or S( in N or P it does not engage the compressor) . With a 1.4tsi with manual gearbox also in neutral if you press the clutch and give some revs you can hear again the engage of the magnetic clutch and the compressor wheezing . With dsg if you put D or R when you park it will just ''crawling 'with idle rpms but if you press one time firmly the accelerator you can hear the engage of the magnetic clutch and the compressor wheezing . Am i right ?

Ιn neutral i have no sounds!

Yes my aircon works ok! At my next ride with the roc i will open aircon and i will try again the same rpm range to see if the sound stop.

3rd video yes the sound is from magnetic clutch. But my sound does not match with this .

My 1st video with the 2nd video you said similar noise. In my first video i think that is normal all the sounds . at the second video the strange noise is at the 0:10 and 0:13.
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

the_winner wrote:At the 1st video the sound is 100% the supercharger ! I have hear the same sound at a lot 1.4 tsi with manual gearbox when they parking . In 1.4TSI With DSG you can hear the same sound if you press the accelerator a little more just a tap only in D or R or S( in N or P it does not engage the compressor) . With a 1.4tsi with manual gearbox also in neutral if you press the clutch and give some revs you can hear again the engage of the magnetic clutch and the compressor wheezing . With dsg if you put D or R when you park it will just ''crawling 'with idle rpms but if you press one time firmly the accelerator you can hear the engage of the magnetic clutch and the compressor wheezing . Am i right ?
Supercharger is generally inhibited by the Engine ECU below 1200 rpm. The noise comes in before that point on your rev counter.
the_winner wrote:Yes my aircon works ok! At my next ride with the roc i will open aircon and i will try again the same rpm range to see if the sound stop.
You should check the outer AirCon Pulley face centre bolt for security. Its in the front lower right corner of the engine.
the_winner wrote:3rd video yes the sound is from magnetic clutch. But my sound does not match with this.
Tends to point to something else.
the_winner wrote:My 1st video with the 2nd video you said similar noise. In my first video i think that is normal all the sounds . at the second video the strange noise is at the 0:10 and 0:13.
The sound doesn't really change between the 1st and 2nd videos. If it was the Supercharger Clutch, I'd expect it to beome a much more sharper sound at 2,000 rpm.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
the_winner

Post by the_winner »

At first videο the rpms are 1200 :) watch it again. I press throttle rpms goes to 1200 and you can hear the sound of the supercharger . So i think i am right .
In a manual 1.4tsi which you can hear the compressor engage at neutral with the gearbox clutch pressed can you hear the compressor squeaking if it has problem or only when you drive the car? In VW's TPI i think that it said that in Manual 1.4 TSI you can find the problem if you press the clutch and give some revs .

So if my waterpump/magnetic clutch has problem i must hearing it at driving situations like in video no 1 , am i right? In the first video you can see that i select R then i press the accelerator firmly but just a fast tap , rpms increase at 1200 then compressor clutch engage and after 1-2 sec compressor disengage .

So to check from where is the sound i must go to the dealer? Some tips to check it alone? If i turn on aircon?

The sound which i hear is when the engine is under load and it goes to the range 1900-2100rpm
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

the_winner wrote:At first videο the rpms are 1200 :) watch it again.
ABove I wrote the noise occurs before the ECU engagement point. And if well past the Supercharger disengaging. The Clutch is immediatley disengaged. That sound does not, it goes down with the revs afterwards which means it is still being driven.

The TPI 2012623/21 sound file matches the 3rd video.
the_winner wrote:Some tips to check it alone? If i turn on aircon?
Checheck the AirCon compressor as said above concerning the loose bolt. Eliminate it!, its a known problem.
Get your ears in the engine bay. Where is it coming from. Moving car, Becareful!
the_winner wrote:The sound which i hear is when the engine is under load and it goes to the range 1900-2100rpm
Its not a sharp and shrill sound for the Supercharger clutch.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
the_winner

Post by the_winner »

Ok I will check the aircon compressor pulley bolt . i need my car to be on lift or i can check it myself from above with open bonnet ?

With the car in Neutral i cant hear something with open bonnet,all normal! . The sound comes at 2000rpm when i drive only i think that in Neutral at 2000rpm i have no annoying rusting sound . BUT I will go right now in my garage to check if in Neutral and 2000rpm (in N , the compressor is not engaged !) makes the sound . If it makes the sound is not the magnetic clutch but something else.
I will give feedback back in some minutes!
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

You might be able to get at the Compressor from above but it is tight. Better after removing the engine undercover.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
the_winner

Post by the_winner »

Ok i go to the garage and test some things.
1. I put my hand from above to the AC Compressor Pulley while the engine was off, i touch the cap of the pulley with a center bolt but i cant feel if it is loose . All at their place .
2. Turn on the engine , when cold start finished i open bonnet and i put my hear to catch sounds , no sounds!
3. Open AC again with open bonnet , no sounds
4. Put the DSG in N , rev it smoothly from 1000 to 2200rpm no sounds !
5. I take the car a ride again the annoying sound !! :grumpy: I take a new video where you can hear it clearly ( i will upload it at some minutes)
6.) When i am in R/D/S if i press the acc. firmly put quickly release it i can hear the compressor wheezing but under 1200rpm(i will upload new video too)
the_winner

Post by the_winner »

You can hear it clearly
[youtube]m2zuXYE7Wjg[/youtube]
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Not convinced. The sound is not fast enough and lasts too long for the clutch solenoid operation. What ever it is its revolving much too slow. Its sounds more like something spining loose & free.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
the_winner

Post by the_winner »

The last video which i upload is for my annoying rust sound which i hear .
Tomorrow i will go to the dealer . We will change N249 and N75 valves because i think that the sound maybe is turbo surging ...
What else to check ? All the pulleys ?
In neutral with idle Rpm you cant hear something from the engine,only if you take the car for the ride you can hear the sound at specific rpms . And i think i can hear it when i let the throttle or when it change gear so the rpms goes down
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Yes the pulley's for mechanical security. That shimming noise is odd as it sounds like it is slowing down and sounding loose. For the Supercharger Clutch should be speeding up be sharp sounding as the clutch clamps up by activation of the solenoid.

The Turbo had crossed my mind today as they can get a loose centre bolt and the turbine fouling the casing. But as you have not reported any engine oil anywhere or it smoking out of the rear exhaust. Discounted that due to the lack of engine oil.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
the_winner

Post by the_winner »

Today i remove the intake hose which it goes to the turbo . I check it for lateral ''play'' , fine ! . It is shiny like new , no oils . I check my oil it is at MAX .
I Check all these because i was thinking the turbo too.
Maybe the N249 dont open completely and the air hit the turbine wings and makes surging . Is that a scenario?
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Perhaps time to leave in the hands of the dealer to sort. I would be second guessing :shrug:
I am not at the side of the Scirocco and for that last comments I would want to plug in VCDS.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!