Phone compatibility (again...)

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Tifa

Phone compatibility (again...)

Post by Tifa »

The story so far.... :)

I have a 2010 Scirocco...( loving it so far)

and

an iphone4

The phone won't pair with the car because I assume it's got the earlier version Bluetooth thing under the seat.
Am I correct in thinking that I the only fix is to upgrade the 'thing' under my seat?

I've done a few forum searches, and read a fair bit of info on here...but to be honest, most of it is wayyyyyyy over my head... :nod: sorry guy's I'm not very technically minded, and therefore I haven't got the foggiest idea what the difference is between a XYZQWERTY1 and a XYZQWERTY" :) :shake:

Can someone just point me to the unit I need please, or do I just give the car to my VW dealership to sort?

Thanks guys :bigthumb:
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: Phone compatibility (again...)

Post by trix »

Can we start with you going under the seat & get the part number off the current rsap bluetooth box, I don't believe you have ever given us this info when we have discussed your cars bluetooth before.
From there someone should be able to tell you which part number box you need to replace it with for proper bluetooth.
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Post by Sootchucker »

As Trix mentioned above, the Bluetooth "brain" is a small electrical box located under some polystyrene under the drivers seat.

Earlier VW Bluetooth modules only supported the RSAP Bluetooth protocol which was mainly at the time Nokia mobiles. Bluetooth then became more widespread and a new standard was launched called HFP (hands free profile), and that's what most manufacturers (including apple) gravitated to. So basically, your IPhone uses the HFP protocol, and your car probably only currently supports RSAP.

If you can give Trix the part number off your current unit as he's asked for, he can then no doubt give you the replacement part you will need. It's literally a 5 minute job to change the over (just one plug connector).
Tifa

Post by Tifa »

That's fantastic!...thank you very much fellas :)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Sootchucker wrote: If you can give Trix the part number off your current unit as he's asked for, he can then no doubt give you the replacement part you will need. It's literally a 5 minute job to change the over (just one plug connector).
He? Who is this he you speak of? :grumpy: :p
Tifa

Post by Tifa »

Am I correct in thinking the new unit (if required) will need coding to the car please?
Sootchucker
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Post by Sootchucker »

Sorry Trix, shouldn't volunteer your services, but your normally so accommodating :D :D :D

Tifa, don't know if this helps, but My car (a 2011 GT 2.0TDI Bluemotion), has factory fitted bluetooth and I just scanned it with VCDS and it reports my module as 5N0 035 730 D

I also have an Iphone 4 and mine works perfectly with this setup (even shows battery charge status etc on the dash).
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Sootchucker wrote:Sorry Trix, shouldn't volunteer your services, but your normally so accommodating :D :D :D
I will help where I can but that is not what I was saying.. just because this is a car forum, do not be so quick to jump to the conclusion that everyone is a bloke

Tifa, as per sootchuckers 1st reply it should just be disconnect & reconnect, you have bluetooth already so the car doesn't need telling to 'turn on' an extra function.
Tifa

Post by Tifa »

Trix....you're a femme?
Sorry for assumuming otherwise young lady :)

OK....just had a quick look under seat, and my unit is: 5NO 035 730C

Any ideas, or suggestions gratefully received :nod:
Last edited by Tifa on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

Well, after all thus time I never knew that about you Trix. My humble apologies :bow: :bow: :bow:
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

OP - have you tried pairing other phones?
Tifa

Post by Tifa »

Mark V wrote:OP - have you tried pairing other phones?
Yes Mark..I have a Samsung Galaxy also...the car can find both phones, and displays the phone model number on the dash (between the clocks) but then flags up 'phone not compatible' :(
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Very strange - the latest units (with D suffix) support just about everything... Is the car still under warranty?
Tifa

Post by Tifa »

:rolleyes: Sadly, it appears mine has the 'C' suffix.
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

cheers chaps

looking over the info that Bianco has kindly provided us over various threads & as MarkV mentions above I think you need the D version of that box/part number which adds a2dp bluetooth. not sure on the equivalent part numbers from Skoda etc
no point trying to get anything from the dealer, it was built before they revised the bluetooth box to give full bluetooth functionality there are tonnes of others in the same situation. its not a warranty issue.
Tifa

Post by Tifa »

Thanks Trix :)

So it appears I need a:

5NO 035 730D
or a
3C8 035 730 (A,B or c)?

:)
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Tifa wrote::rolleyes: Sadly, it appears mine has the 'C' suffix.
Thats the reason - time to search ebay for a D model. I seem to recall people have purchased them at around £80.
Tifa

Post by Tifa »

:bigthumb:
Seems like a plan :)
Tifa

Post by Tifa »

Just thought i'd report back, well, I finally got it sorted, so case now closed :)

I've fitted a 3C8035730C module...straight in...plug & play....no coding or anything required...10 minutes....done.
Bought it from those nice chaps in Poland ...Car-Systems.
Brilliant service, about £180 delivered.
Fantastic to be able to use the phone facility again.

Thanks for everyones help...very much appreciated :)
welder1027
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Car is bog standard for now as i've just bought it recently.

Post by welder1027 »

trix wrote:Can we start with you going under the seat & get the part number off the current rsap bluetooth box, I don't believe you have ever given us this info when we have discussed your cars bluetooth before.
From there someone should be able to tell you which part number box you need to replace it with for proper bluetooth.
Hi Trix, i'm new on here so not quite sure of this has been answered anywhere else, apologies if it has. Basically, i'm having the same issues, i have a 2009 2.0 GT with an RNS 510 head unit and 5N0 035 730B BT module under the drivers seat. My iPhone 6 will not recognise the car although the car recognises the iPhone but tells me it is not compatible. I also tried with a Samsung and a Nokia running Windows Mobile, all gave the same results, "Phone is not compatible"

Which BT Module do i need to buy to sort this problem out please?

I've tried resetting the BT unit by switching off the ignition, unplugging the unit, restart engine without unit attached, shut down again and reattach the unit and it is still looking for the previous owners Nokia, even after a reset??? I've also reset all the network settings on my phone and still no joy. :cry: :cry: :cry: