Webbing - correct pad or something else?

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Webbing - correct pad or something else?

Post by yellowplum »

I have a Flex Dual Action rotary polisher xc 3401 vrg, my problem is that I don't think I have the right pads to use with it.

I bought some Lake Country CSS pads to use, but they just don't seem to cut sufficiently. I then moved to the 3m pads but unfortunately they don't really fit the machine and they wear out round the edges badly. I have been using 3M Perfect III polish with both.

The main issue is I have a bit of webbing on the car to start with, after I have polished the car you still get a bit of webbing, not as much but it is still visible. How do you get rid of it? Is it the pad? Or the compounds? or both?
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Webbing - correct pad or something else?

Post by RW1 »

I had the 3M pad (Blue) fray around the edge because the backing plate (pad mounting plate) was too large. Since getting smaller backing plate, the 3M pad has not been pulled by the velcro visible edge of the original backing plate. It must match in diameter. Use 3M Blue with either Autofinesse Rejuvenate Pre Wax Cleanser to lightly cut or Meguiar's Ultra Finishing 205 to finish. Does the job well for me.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

RW1 wrote:I had the 3M pad (Blue) fray around the edge because the backing plate (pad mounting plate) was too large. Since getting smaller backing plate, the 3M pad has not been pulled by the velcro visible edge of the original backing plate. It must match in diameter. Use 3M Blue with either Autofinesse Rejuvenate Pre Wax Cleanser to lightly cut or Meguiar's Ultra Finishing 205 to finish. Does the job well for me.

C.

Thanks for the tip, do you have the same machine? Where did you get the replacement backing plate?
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Have a Kestrel DAS6 Dual-Action Polisher. Smaller backing plate from http://www.shinearama.co.uk/search.php?page=1&fcat=79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; similar to the two on this page. Its diameter is 120mm, pretty sure its neither of the two shown but is very similar as I wanted a more flexible outer lip area to take on some curvey parts of my cars. (Just asked for something at Shinearama to resolve the 3M pad problem and they stuck the 120mm in my hand, no markings on it. So can't specifically say what the backing plate maker/part number is.)

Also for heavier cutting, I use Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction Compound D300 with a Meguiar's DA Microfibre Cutting Disc 5 which cuts in harder. It took some of the deeper cuts out but leaves a rough surface. Not to be used regularly. Used Meguiar's Ultra Finishing 205 to finish off when I used D300 which is gentler than the AutoFinesse as a finishing product.

Combination works on all three cars, two with 15 - 20 year old VW metalic paint/lacquer finishes. Results were consistant. Applied little pressure, just used the weight of the DAS6, first on slow speed each time to apply, then high speed to work the surface.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!