VXR Power Event at Rockingham

Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

I went along to one of these today. It cost £35 and for that you got breakfast, all the drinks you wanted, a lanyard, a memory stick and then an hours driving of four VXR models - Corsa VXR, Corsa Nurburgring, Insignia VXR and new Astra VXR.

I started with three passenger laps in an Astra VXR, then all the driving was down to me so three laps of me driving the Astra with the instructor offering guidance, then swapped into a Corsa VXR for three laps, then did three laps in the Insignia VXR, then three laps in the Corsa Nurburgring (my favourite of the lot - an absolute riot to drive!) then I had a passenger ride with Tom Onslow-Cole in another Corsa Nurburgring before finishing with two laps back in an Astra before my session time was up.

The passenger ride with Tom Onslow-Cole was a good laugh - I had no idea a Corsa could be made to be that sideways everywhere!

Couple of pictures:-

Can't say I've ever been a big Vauxhall fan but I came away from the day deeply impressed by the VXR cars especially the Corsa Nurburgring which was so much fun to drive and also with the way that all the cars were putting up with the pounding they were getting with not a single mechanical hissy fit being thrown.

I'd totally recommend the day to anyone - and for £35 its a complete bargain!

I know Chungsters going tomorrow so will be interested to hear his thoughts too.
playing in my '86
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: VXR Power Event at Rockingham

Post by trix »

i'm coming with you next time!
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

trix wrote:i'm coming with you next time!
It was so very good trixy - you'd love it!
playing in my '86
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

chav :)
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Ryy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I want to play. I will look into this.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Top morning of funsies :D

I didn't get a go in the Corsa Ring or Insignia (told it was waste of time that one anyway)

James Pickford took me out in the Corsa and I never laughed so much in a little Vauxhall :D he was a total nutter!

Will defo do it again next year if they hold one.
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

The Astra wasn't bad at all, but I did hate the VXR setting making the throttle soooo sensitive you had no chance of playing with the throttle mid corner.

Seats were nice but centre console was packed with too many buttons.

Externally it does look good though. Engine did seem tad laggy but then I may be spoilt by how my own car boosts up and takes off towards the redline.

Std Corsa VXR felt slow by comparison - shocking when u think that little thing has close to 200bhp! Guess that's what happens when you've gotten used to having 300+ bhp.
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

Pics from their own togger