MK7 GTI test drive today......pretty good.....

wigit
Options: I used to own one

Re: MK7 GTI test drive today......pretty good.....

Post by wigit »

5, 6 and 7, the 7 has moved the game on considerably....

Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
kenny.c
With a: Manual box
Options: MK7 GOLF GTI-PP

Post by kenny.c »

Come on then whats your thoughts....??? I was amazed how close it was to our Revo'd 2.0TSI Roc performance wise.....and the handling is much nicer...

Ken
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

The Mk7 R has been shown

The new Volkswagen Golf R has been equipped with 296bhp and sports car-baiting levels of performance, including a 0-62mph time of less than five seconds.

This, the fourth-generation R version of the Golf, is the most potent yet, with four-wheel drive, a turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine and front and rear electronic differentials among the spec highlights.

The Golf R’s 296bhp, 280lb ft 2.0 TSI engine is a significantly updated version of the EA888 found in the new Golf GTI. Changes over its application in the GTI include a new cylinder head, pistons, high-pressure injection valves and a new turbocharger.

Equipped with a six-speed manual gearbox as standard, it can crack 0-62mph in 5.3sec. But when mated to the six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, the 0-62mph time drops to a Porsche 911-rivalling 4.9sec. Top speed is limited to 155mph.

The Golf R is equipped with VW’s latest-generation 4Motion permanent all-wheel drive Haldex system. VW says the system eradicates wheelspin and slip, and up to 100 per cent of the torque can be sent to each of the axles depending on the driving situation. XDS+ electronic differentials are fitted to the front and rear axles to brake individual wheels if high loads are detected, helping to reduce understeer. Uprated brakes are also fitted.

The new Golf R’s suspension is lowered by 5mm compared with the Golf GTI and has been stiffened and tuned for a more involving drive. VW claims to have improved both the ride comfort and agility of the Golf R compared with the previous model. A progressive steering system is also offered, as is an optional Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) system that adapts the dampers to one of three standard modes: Comfort, Normal and Sport.

Opting for the DCC also adds the Drive Profile Selector, which tunes the Golf R to one of five driving modes: Eco, Normal, Comfort, Sport and Race. The driver will also be able to mix and match the traits that alter in these modes — such as gearshift patterns and throttle response — through an Individual mode.

Styling changes include new front and rear bumpers, wider sills, a rear diffuser and twin exhausts. The Golf R is fitted with 18in alloys as standard and 19in wheels will be available on the options list. Inside, sports seats are offered along with a bespoke trim.

Volkswagen says the Golf R will go on sale in spring 2014, and prices are tipped to come in below £30,000 for a manual-equipped three-door Golf R, with the DSG-equipped cars carrying a premium of around £1200.
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Kev wrote:The Mk7 R has been shown.....
Looks good. Very good performance specs.. I like the quad exhausts, but from the back I can't help but think it looks exactly the same as the new seat Leon. Think they need to get it under £30k for it to be a winner and to contend with the bmw 135i. Although wont be that much price difference between one of these and the new gti.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Very nice, the Golf GTI is a possible as my next car, but would still like to see what the next gen Scirocco is going to be like first.
wigit

Post by wigit »

i'm thinking i could do with a 3 door dsg R in my life next year
RisingRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Post by RisingRoc »

Amazing specs, but those two pictures don't excite me. A Roc with that engine in it and updated equipment spec would be special.
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

I recon the GTI looks better to be honest.....and im not sure the bigger price tag over the GTI is really worth it...

Ken
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

4wd and 0-62 in 4.9? plus 296 bhp? id say it is
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
wigit

Post by wigit »

the front end grip on the GTI could easily cope with more power, i think the r will tune to 360 fairly easily and i'd like it through 4 wheels

i've mailed my dealer about what sort of deposit they want lol
wigit

Post by wigit »

was going to write a lengthy review on the Mk7 but won't as this car does not need to justify itself and was an absolute cracker of a chassis and was sad to give it back, in summary:

Chassis and steering is in a different league to the roc/mk5/mk6, this humbled my modded mk6 (which has a proper suspension set up) through some testing bends i know as i could carry more speed and was flat with no esp intervention, it was just in a different league for driver involvement

Always hated the ACC on the rocco as flawed, VW has listened and its now DCC (ACC is now the cruise thingy) and they have listened as you have a mode where you can adjust the steering weighting and suspension settings, a revelation, not sure i'd tick the box but would not criticise anyone who does

Car did not have PP, however, you notice the torque from the motor (not remap levels), this car is deceptively quick, my wife said it comes across as boring as it just builds speed effortlessly, brakes felt a bit better than usual efforts, never really had esp intervention (trust me i tried), again before i would have asked why have the normal one, now i totally get it and for me PP just adds the added extra bits if you want to play a bit harder

Liked the electronic hand brake in general as just easy, time will tell how reliable

proof of how much i loved it is testament to the bits i don't, i am nit picking here:-

- stock 18s are just dire to me, GTD 18s are better, i'd be having the Rotary ones if wanted oem
- the doors are huge on the 3 door, 2" longer than my mk6 which can cause fun in a marking space (at least the roc is frameless)
- 12v socket is by where handbrake would be (like an old A3) so a bit out the way)
- basic nav not that easy to use and voices were annoying, i'll stick with tom-tom
- for me the speedo and rev counter are slightly to far apart, also the speedo is way to fussy like the mk5 and goes up in 20,40 increments
- kph back on the speedo and not digital, which i love when abroad as so much easier to know what you are doing
- MFD buttons a bit different to rocco/mk6 and not as intuitive in terms of location
- thought the colour MFD was a bit fussy to read
- hill hold was a bit over zealous on my drive (which is down hill) so had to swtich off

wouldn't sell my 35 for one at the moment but food for thought for the wife in more door guise, i think the bigger turbo on the R or the Ed40 will tempt me

big thanks to Andre at Ridgeway Wantage for arranging this
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

Good write up.....similar thoughts to myself.....handling is SO good....
Id love the R....but I just cannot justify the extra cost and running costs....

Ken
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

After a LLLOOONNNGG wait I finally got my build confirmed today......cannot wait....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wigit

Post by wigit »

Some GTI and GTD pictures from Frankfurt, Limestone Grey is my new favourite GTI/GTD colour, they just looked stunning.

The GTD has red calipers and the PP GTIs in Germany have red badging

VW only had one Scirocco on their stand which was a Million edition :(
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

That GTD is quite nice with those wheels. Mmmmmmm
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

They are the optional 19" ones....
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

I got some good new this week....our GTI finally turned up...can not wait...

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wigit

Post by wigit »

Good stuff will be interesting to hear what you think
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

Initial thoughts from driving a few now will be good.....only downside I can see is it doesnt look as good as a Scirocco....
We seriously looked to upgrade to the "R" as the dealer has told me they could easily sell our order due to the nice spec, but just could not justify the extra cost and running costs....im sure the GTI will still be fun...

Ken