MK7 GTI test drive today......pretty good.....

kenny.c
With a: Manual box
Options: MK7 GOLF GTI-PP

MK7 GTI test drive today......pretty good.....

Post by kenny.c »

Well we managed to get a test drive of a new GTI today......and I gotta say its pretty good.....

Spec was...
2.0 tsi - none performance pack
Manual
ACC
Colour DIS
Sat Nav

I was expecting the perfomance to feel lacking compaired to our Revo'd Roc....but it wasnt far off in reality. Steering and handling is pin sharp in sport mode...turn in is quite abit better than the Roc....ride quality is very good, even in sport mode. The option to have a custom setup in the cars "setup menu" is very useful which enables you to have the best throttle response and sharp steering whilst having the ACC in normal for those not so good roads. The sound generator "thingy mer bob" gives a great engine tone into the cabin without being annoying.....Economy does seem better than our Roc.....with cruise on at 70 its giving 4-5 mpg better figures.

Just need to make a decision if to go for it.....??? Oh and if the performance pack is worth the money...????

Thanks
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kenny.c

Re: MK7 GTI test drive today......pretty good.....

Post by kenny.c »

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Interesting write up there Ken. I too have my eye on the Golf GTI but it would not be for sometime yet, maybe 2 years away.

I have my name down for a test drive but I am going to let the dealer chase me down (rather than the other way round).

Performance pack looks great value in itself, but in everyday driving, makes you wonder whether you will realistically benefit from it. The demo cars all appear to be non Performance Pack from what I have seen.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

went to have a look at one a week ago but didn't take it out, lovely car in the flesh with some nice detailing, mrs w probably ordering one this month, our dealer have specced pp on their demo, for me its a no brainer
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

Im really tempted by PP.......I have noticed the spec has been upgraded slightly....you now get the colour DIS as standard in the GTD and GTI....

Ken
skippy

Post by skippy »

kenny.c wrote:Im really tempted by PP.......I have noticed the spec has been upgraded slightly....you now get the colour DIS as standard in the GTD and GTI....

Ken
Ken - I will make the decision for you, go for the performance pack. If you don't, you will always be kicking yourself for not doing so. I think also come re-sale, the performance pack models will be just that little bit more desirable. :)
rmason
With a: DSG box
Options: Mid 2012, 2.0Tsi 210bhp, Candy White, DSG gearbox, Full Leather Interior, Heated seats, Satellite navigation RNS315, folding mirrors, SD card in, Ipod in, USB in, Mudflaps front and Rear, Premium carpet mats, Osram night breaker plus main and dipped beam, Osram cool blue side lights.

Post by rmason »

I would go for the performance pack judging on the reviews alone however what i am contemplating at the moment is waiting for the MK7 Golf R to be released then decide what way to go :-)
MNM
In: Rising Blue
Options: DynAudio, PDC, DRL LED, Cruise Control, Vienna Leather, Sports/electric/heated seats, Folding mirrors, Red Footwell lights, Eibach Springs.

Post by MNM »

Good car!
But hasn't got the looks Like the Roc does ;)
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

MNM.....couldnt agree more....just what we thought.

Ken
skippy

Post by skippy »

I will be test driving one next Saturday but purely for curiosity reasons, I am a way off replacing my Roc and I would want to see what is in store with the next generation Roc first.

Agreed though - the Scirocco looks better!
cavido
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black

Post by cavido »

I don't know why but I just think this golf is so damm ugly! Maybe the r version will be better but right now I absolutely hate the design of the mk7 golf. It's just my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

cavido wrote:I don't know why but I just think this golf is so damm ugly! Maybe the r version will be better but right now I absolutely hate the design of the mk7 golf. It's just my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
I like it. The mk6 gti was nice but I think the new mk7 gti is a better looking car.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
skippy

Post by skippy »

I test drove the new Golf GTI yesterday and yes, it was a very impressive drive with great road holding.

What I would say though, it was not the step up in performance I was perhaps expecting. My current Roc is a petrol 2.0 (200PS), with the Golf sitting at 220PS with Scirocco R levels of torque.

It may be slightly unfair comment though as we were 3 up in the car and it only had 1,500 on the clock. I think once loosened up a bit, the performance hike may be more noticeable.

The quality of the interior and tech gadgetry were impressive, made my red MFD display look like something from the Stone Age, but I don't think the car did enough for me to want to change.

I still think the Roc looks the part and looks better than the Golf, but it just did not feel special enough in my opinion.
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

Well we finally got the deal we wanted and Golf GTI is now ordered....although its not likely to turn up till October / November .

3 Door manual
Pure White
Keyless Entry
ACC suspension
Dynaudio
Performance Pack
3yr service Plan

PX price on our car is very good I though.....considering it will be a few months older by time the deal is done.
Loved every minute of the 4 yrs with Scirocco ownership but time to move on.

Thanks
Ken
wigit

Post by wigit »

I've got one for a weekend in August to see what we think, well have mk5, 6 and 7 on the drive lol

Nice to see ouve gone for a 3 door
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

wigit wrote:I've got one for a weekend in August to see what we think, well have mk5, 6 and 7 on the drive lol

Nice to see ouve gone for a 3 door
And don't forget the polo!
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
wigit

Post by wigit »

no the polo will be at the dealers as run out of driveway
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

Although im months away from delivery....There are some "amazing" claims about the tuning potential of this engine.....TBH im unsure how it differs from the TSI fitted to the Scirocco..??

Ken
wigit

Post by wigit »

I picked up a mk7 today for an extended test this weekend, 3 door, DCC no performance pack, currently racked up 200 miles and pushed it, seriously good car especially when pressing on

I'll give more in depth review next week
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

Good to hear you liked it.....the ride really is very well balanced.....Keep us up to date.

Ken