Toyota GT 86

00HVB
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Parking Sensors - Truffle Leather - Cruise Control

Toyota GT 86

Post by 00HVB »

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarr ... gt_86.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What are peoples thoughts?

I kinda like the looks...
"Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead"
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Re: Toyota GT 86

Post by Deacon »

I like lots and lots about it apart from the price. Too expensive in my opinion - 20k ish and I'd have one but closer to 30k seems the reality and at that price i think there is better out there.
playing in my '86
Sam63
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather seats, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Dynaudio Soundpack, Mats.
Mods : BCS non -resonated Sports System Cat Back exhaust, H & R Springs and ITG Maxogen CAI, APR Stage 1 & 19" Satin Anthracite BBS CH R's. - Now Sold

Post by Sam63 »

Like the looks but with a price of around £26 - £28k a bit too much considering the lack of power.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

Looks a lot better with the Supra-esque spoiler. I was considering this as a replacement for my Rocco a while back, but now the production pics have come out... I've lost interest.
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Yeah one of those cars that's taken for ever to actually come out and then is a bit of an anticlimax. Too pricey.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

prefer the scooby version but consensus is car is crying out for a turbo, so come on STI version please
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Ozmosis
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: RNS 510 Sat-Nav

Post by Ozmosis »

The thinking behind this car is to get the younger generation into front engine/rear-wheel drive fun handling, slidey sideways action without having too much power. The throttle response of a normally aspirated engine is more in tune with the style of car. Toyota themselves will launch a range of 'tuning features' (lowered suspension/wheel packages, induction kits/exhausts etc) as the basic car must meet specific ride height rules. That being said, it is far too pricey, and this is being blamed on the value of the Yen.

I'm sure there will be a faster version eventually though. But as it has been like the gestation of a glacier to get to this point from the concept, maybe the Scirocco Mk 4 will be here before that...!
RoccoScientist
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125

Post by RoccoScientist »

Ozmosis wrote:Toyota themselves will launch a range of 'tuning features' (lowered suspension/wheel packages, induction kits/exhausts etc) as the basic car must meet specific ride height rules.
Haven't read anything about this, but I have read that Toyota will provide the aftermarket the 3D data they need and provide leading Japanese tuners some GT-86s for product development..
wigit wrote:prefer the scooby version but consensus is car is crying out for a turbo, so come on STI version please
No turbo or STI version for the Toyota. A more powerful version (called R?) will likely become available, but since Toyota doesn't want to introduce turbo lag into the equation, they're likely to go for a supercharger - if they decide to go for forced induction at all.

As far as the car itself goes, the concept version looked a lot better IMO, but aftermarket parts and bigger wheels may go a long way in making the GT 86 look great. The price could always be lower, but how many cheaper, fun rear-drive cars with a center of mass lower than Porsche Cayman's are there? None that I know of. ;)
Ryy
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

Well, TRD make it look a lot more. mmh

http://www.autoevolution.com/news-g-ima ... html#image" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
O_Ghost
In: Deep Black
Options: Sat Nav
Climatronic
Cruise
Panoramic Roof
Leather

Post by O_Ghost »

Saw this at Toyota's HQ in Japan - fell in love immediatly. It's quite a lot smaller than it appears, not much bigger than my MR2 Roadster.

Needs the STi turbo engine though, too right. Since I got my TSi nothing less will do!
Regards

John