Emissions compensation legal action

All the info you need to know about the new VW Scirocco.
Scrowlerfly
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Emissions compensation legal action

Post by Scrowlerfly »

Has anyone here signed up to the Harcus Sinclair group litigation?
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Emissions compensation legal action

Post by Cuprabob »

Not sure what people want compensated for especially if you don't take the risk and get the software update. I never saw the Nox figure published anywhere and I doubt any owners used it when deciding what car to buy. Resale values don't seem to be affected so I'm not sure exactly where owners are out of pocket and require compensating. Just my opinion of course.

In my eyes it's lawyers lining lawyers pockets.
rpsmith79
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White

Post by rpsmith79 »

Cuprabob wrote:Not sure what people want compensated for especially if you don't take the risk and get the software update. I never saw the Nox figure published anywhere and I doubt any owners used it when deciding what car to buy. Resale values don't seem to be affected so I'm not sure exactly where owners are out of pocket and require compensating. Just my opinion of course.

Here, here

My thoughts exactly, what are you wanting to be compensated for?

It really winds me up, i am going through an ongoing battle with ambulance chasers trying to get me to make a claim for my "unclaimed" personal injury settlement for a car accident i had nearly 2 years ago, despite the fact that it was a very low speed accident and i was not injured in any way (which i tell each and every company that phones me), i must have had at least 200 phone calls, at one point i was getting 5-6 calls a week from them
jackhay
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather seats, parking sensors, carbon dash trim

Post by jackhay »

The idea would be to make a claim for the diminished value of the car (might be a problem at sale time whether you've had the fix done or not, especially if it becomes the general view that the fix spoils driveability); and also, I suppose, in some way to punish VW financially for cheating us. I understand the logic but I'm not thinking of signing up.
rpsmith79

Post by rpsmith79 »

But it hasn't really affected retail values, and you can't claim damages for someone lying, how do you attach a monetary value to a lie/mis-truth
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Especially when the lie / mis-truth is not really a parameter published or used to make the buying decision.

Who bought their car based on the Nox value?
ChrisL
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
Options: Bi-Xenons, Badge deletion, Parking sensors, Mobile phone prep, 19" Lugano, RNS510, Pan Sunroof, Cruise control, Elec mirros, Vienna Black Leather, electric seat controls, Sound Package. August 2013

Post by ChrisL »

The Harcus Sinclair and Slater and Gordon VW Emissions Action Group asks you to agree with one of the following before you can join it:
"I confirm that had I known my vehicle:
1. was not compliant with the relevant European emissions regulations and therefore should not have been registered and allowed to be driven on public roads; or
2. emitted higher volumes of NOx than was stated on its registration documents (the V5 Logbook); or
3. was fitted with an unlawful device which sensed when the vehicle was undergoing emissions testing, and altered its performance accordingly; or
4. would need to be recalled in order for a technical measure to be carried out in order to ensure it was compliant with European emissions regulations,
I would not have bought it."

There is an extensive FAQ including whether the 'fix' is an obligation to joining the group: http://www.vwemissionsaction.com/faqs-f ... egal-claim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Technane
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by Technane »

and if you bought it after the scandal that makes all of that null and void!
Deagol
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

Presumably, any third-party remap purchased for your TDI before or after the news broke would also take you outside of the class action. I am not that keen on this sort of compensation culture and as Cuprabob commented, the "Lawyers lining pockets" aspect is something I find unsavoury too. Don't get me started on Accident Claim phone calls either.

Getting back on topic (a bit) would it be too much to ask VW for some kind of specific warranty about the "fix" they want to put on the car software? As a Grade V Anorak, I have maintained a record of the fuel consumption on mine since I got it and would expect to spot any significant variation as a result of the Fix. Performance changes would not, I hope, be noticable, but until I could experience "before" and "after" I won't know. I'm not looking forward to finding out the hard way, particularly when other Central members have said that we cannot get the car reverted to original spec software.

Unless something special happens which changes my mind, my current plan is that on the car's next service, I will be telling the dealer that I do not want the Fix applied to my car immediately due to uncertainties on the legal position which I am waiting to have resolved, and I reserve the right to have the work done later once the uncertainties are sorted. Or some similar wording (you can tell that I really mean I am going to sit on the fence for a while longer!) I think I also want the Service Manager to sign a bit of paper confirming that he understands my request and will ensure that no-one accidentally applies the Fix whilst they do the service.

But this might cut as much ice as a paper hacksaw.

And returning to the original subject matter, no, I don't think that this action will work over here, sharing the reasons already given by other members.

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

rpsmith79 wrote:
Cuprabob wrote:Not sure what people want compensated for especially if you don't take the risk and get the software update. I never saw the Nox figure published anywhere and I doubt any owners used it when deciding what car to buy. Resale values don't seem to be affected so I'm not sure exactly where owners are out of pocket and require compensating. Just my opinion of course.

Here, here

My thoughts exactly, what are you wanting to be compensated for?

It really winds me up, i am going through an ongoing battle with ambulance chasers trying to get me to make a claim for my "unclaimed" personal injury settlement for a car accident i had nearly 2 years ago, despite the fact that it was a very low speed accident and i was not injured in any way (which i tell each and every company that phones me), i must have had at least 200 phone calls, at one point i was getting 5-6 calls a week from them
I agree, it's a load of crap.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
houghton1873
Options: Leather seats, Sat Nav, Heated seats Sunroof

Post by houghton1873 »

I drive my car because i like it not because its cheap to run......if that's the case we would all run about in Toyota Prius
Addymk2
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Addymk2 »

houghton1873 wrote:I drive my car because i like it not because its cheap to run......if that's the case we would all run about in Toyota Prius
Or diesels.
jahno
In: Indium Grey

Post by jahno »

houghton1873 wrote:I drive my car because i like it not because its cheap to run......if that's the case we would all run about in Toyota Prius
Do you mean that it's good to you when you have to pay a lot for a driving and caring a car?
Vill du istället spela på en schyst sida kan du spana in hemsida där du hittar en mängd
bonusar som du kan ha roligt med.