4th service/cam belt

All the info you need to know about the new VW Scirocco.
SCOTT

4th service/cam belt

Post by SCOTT »

My 4th service is due very soon, I believe this is a major one where also the Cam belt needs changing too?

Im sure some of you have had this done, can you please confirm what else is included in this service, and what sort of cost im I looking at please? oh and it will need an MOT too at the same time.

Think I better sit down for this one :)
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: 4th service/cam belt

Post by Cuprabob »

VW have changed the intervals on cambelts. If car is registered before 9/2009 it's 4 years and after 9/2009 it's 5 years.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/serv ... elt-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're looking at around £400 for cambelt, tensioner and water pump change

You don't say what model you have but I assume a diesel as you have a cambelt.

I've had the 4th / 40k service and it cost about £250 and was oil, oil filter, pollen filter and fuel filter.

So, including the MOT you're looking at around £700 all in.
Fifer
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Opal Silver
Options: Reversing sensors, cruise control

Post by Fifer »

Bob - do you know if it's still 40k for post9/2009 cars? Or have they increased the mileage limit as well as the time period?
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I've never seen the mileage limit being 40k miles. On some petrols it was 60k miles but on the common rail diesel it is around.120k miles. My dealer has quoted 120k and 140k miles on diffetent occasions but for the majority of people it's done on time.

Best to check with your dealer as it changes all the time.
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

Thanks for you help so far, my car was new October 2009 and its a 2.0 TSI so I might well be in luck?
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

SCOTT wrote:Thanks for you help so far, my car was new October 2009 and its a 2.0 TSI so I might well be in luck?
I thought all the 2.0 TSI petrol engines used in the Scirocco were chain driven, which unless there are issues with stretching or the tensioner, do not need changed. This is why I was referring to the diesel engines as these dohave cambelts.

Also the cost to change a camchain is over £1,000
Fifer
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Opal Silver
Options: Reversing sensors, cruise control

Post by Fifer »

Cuprabob wrote:I've never seen the mileage limit being 40k miles. On some petrols it was 60k miles but on the common rail diesel it is around.120k miles. My dealer has quoted 120k and 140k miles on diffetent occasions but for the majority of people it's done on time.

Best to check with your dealer as it changes all the time.
Thanks - I had it in my head that it was 40k or 4 years but not sure where (or even if) I read it and it does seem very low (most cars are at least 60 or 70k). Based on my current mileage, I'll have done around 80k after 5 years, but I might change the car before then. But I'll check with my dealer at the next (30k) service.
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

Thanks for that so I could save a bit of money there then, is the 4th service a major one as I see on the bottom of this page VW are doing an interim service and MOT for £189.00?
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Really depends on whether the plugs and the air filter need changed or not and when the last inspection was done. Imterim is just basic checks plus oil, oil filter and pollen filter.

Might want to look into the service plan which gives you 2 services and free MOTs for £379. Details on BW website
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

There has been lots of discussion on this subject across the web.... I recall very well that it was pointed out by some informed individual on a Golf forum that the time limits on cam belts changes are purely a fabrication of VWUK (ie the franchised importer) and if you check with VW the manufacturer you will discover the chenge frequency is purely measured on distance covered and not age!
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Mark V wrote:There has been lots of discussion on this subject across the web.... I recall very well that it was pointed out by some informed individual on a Golf forum that the time limits on cam belts changes are purely a fabrication of VWUK (ie the franchised importer) and if you check with VW the manufacturer you will discover the chenge frequency is purely measured on distance covered and not age!
I believe this to be true and is confirmed in the service booklet supplied.with the car. However, personally I don't think it's worth the risk bit it's up to each owner to make up their own mind.

OP has a petrol 2.0 TSI, which is chain driven as far as I know, so kind of irrelevant in the end.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

SCOTT wrote:Thanks for that so I could save a bit of money there then, is the 4th service a major one as I see on the bottom of this page VW are doing an interim service and MOT for £189.00?
4th year is sort of a major service
See http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... gs#p111633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do interrogate the dealer on what they are including, I'm getting quotes for my 1.4's 4th year service & am still getting some trying to sell me a brake fluid service despite it being done last year & me telling them as such.
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Cuprabob wrote:
Mark V wrote:However, personally I don't think it's worth the risk bit it's up to each owner to make up their own mind.
Indeed it is Bob - who would you believe: the German designer/manufacturer of the car - or a foreign company licensed to import them!