Temporary loss of Drive - DSG (R)

Everything about the R for potential owners.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Temporary loss of Drive - DSG (R)

Post by RW1 »

sb272 wrote:The only possible complaint I have with DSG is that it sometimes doesn select a gear when the car is rollign very slowly. Eg I've just backed out of a car park space and then selected Drive and started to move forward then taken my foot off the throttle so it is just rolling at 5mph. At this point it has selected 2nd. Sometimes when I press the throttle it will rev up and I have to lift off, sometimes it will rev up to 1500rpm as though it is slippig the clutch, then all will be fine.
There's a DSG 6 spd controller software update for that sort of problem. Only difference is circumstances are slightly different on what is being done before D is engaged at stationary/slow moving.

Got access to VCDS? Post up the AutoScan section ofr the DSG 02 Controller or the Screen after selecting 02-Auto Trans that shows the build standard.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
snapey
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue

Re: Temporary loss of Drive - DSG (R)

Post by snapey »

RW1 wrote:
sb272 wrote:The only possible complaint I have with DSG is that it sometimes doesn select a gear when the car is rollign very slowly. Eg I've just backed out of a car park space and then selected Drive and started to move forward then taken my foot off the throttle so it is just rolling at 5mph. At this point it has selected 2nd. Sometimes when I press the throttle it will rev up and I have to lift off, sometimes it will rev up to 1500rpm as though it is slippig the clutch, then all will be fine.
There's a DSG 6 spd controller software update for that sort of problem. Only difference is circumstances are slightly different on what is being done before D is engaged at stationary/slow moving.

Got access to VCDS? Post up the AutoScan section ofr the DSG 02 Controller or the Screen after selecting 02-Auto Trans that shows the build standard.

C.
Mine seems to do the above on the odd occasion, what variant are VW on at the minute? Or should I say whats the latest?

Luke
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Need your gearbox part number and current issue...

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
sb272
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather, Pano roof, folding mirrors, RNS-MDI, bluetooth, 19s, reversing cam

Post by sb272 »

RW1 wrote:

C.
Thanks RW.

I don't have VCDS but will be having a reversing camera fitted soon and will get the info when the camera is coded.

If I'm out of date is this an easy dealer warranty fix? What is the latest build standard that fixes the issues?

I recently took the car in for a noisy aircon problem and mentioned the gearbox issue. They said they checked for fault codes and found nothing - no mention of a possible software update :(
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

sb272 wrote:I don't have VCDS but will be having a reversing camera fitted soon and will get the info when the camera is coded.
Shout when you get it.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
sb272
Options: Leather, Pano roof, folding mirrors, RNS-MDI, bluetooth, 19s, reversing cam

Post by sb272 »

SteveP has just done a fab job fitting my reversing camera, MDI and Bluetooth and ran a full auto scan for me. The box info is as follows:

Address 02: Auto Trans        Labels: 02E-300-0xx.lbl
   Part No SW: 02E 300 051 M    HW: 02E 927 770 AL
   Component: GSG DSG AG6     511 2101  
   Revision:    51112    Serial number: 00001001291101
   Coding: 0000020
   Shop #: WSC 44551 111 44551
   VCID: 1D358FB5C4AAD49
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Changes to...........

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-300-0xx.lbl
Part No SW: 02E 300 051 R HW: 02E 927 770 AL
Component: GSG DSG AG6 511 2237
Revision: 51112 Serial number: 00001001291101
Shop #: WSC 44551 111 44551
VCID: 1D358FB5C4AAD49

Available end of July 2011.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
sb272

Post by sb272 »

Thanks RW. How do I get the update - visit to the stealer?

Does it take long to update?

Is there some sort of service bulletin that describes the issues the update fixes?
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Yes, dealers. Although some independants can get hold of the downloads through other third party supportive means. Just depends whether the new release has been made available through that channel.

Your issue is to convince the dealer there is something wrong. They need to go beyond looking for fault codes. Not easy when there is no clue of a hard fault. And that is their time & costs which and they can't recover from VW(UK).

There is no specific Bulletin with the desciption you originally posted. As I wrote, there is a similar problem but not when stationary/crawling speed. Its a brief revving up when at speed, from overrun to accelerating again - "Delayed recognition of overrun/acceleration transistion in the gearbox control unit". But!, the circumstances that attribute to it, are being in a corner at speed.

As there is no direct fault or bulletin, they may charge you if VW (UK) do not agree to it being done. As it will most likely take a few minutes to download and then they need to test the Scirocco drives OK, so cost :shrug: 1 hrs minmum labour unit ?

Updates are only really done if...... either there is a general need (VW/dealer campaign) or a specific fault is identified and part of the "fix" is a controller firmware update. Otherwise the controllers are left alone as built. Not a matter of going in and saying "I want" ...... That equals you pay!

I suggest you get a second dealer opinion and see if they can find anything. After all, at the moment, you do not have hard evidence supporting your problem.... in their eyes. So changing the firmware standard is just clutching at straws. It may be something new that VW are not aware of and is affecting just a few DSGs.

If enough people take their 'R' DSG in with the problem, then there will be a reaction centrally. Many bulletins appear with their first issue stating "postpone repairs" which means VW centrally are investigating and anything the dealer does will not be re-funded. Eventually, a solution appears. So the costs of rectification under warranty can be refunded to the dealer for doing the work on proof the fault is confirmed.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
snapey

Post by snapey »

Would the above update not be applied during a service?

Luke
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

At a service? ...... No.
RW1 wrote:Updates are only really done if...... either there is a general need (VW/dealer campaign) or a specific fault is identified and part of the "fix" is a controller firmware update.
At service they will only update if the VW system shows there is a need to, ie. a VW campaign to do a specific controller update.
They have looked at the reported fault and found nothing, so they won't proceed to update on that basis as they won't be refunded their costs.
RW1 wrote:Otherwise the controllers are left alone as built.
So, status quo.

Hence why I advised a visit to another dealer for a second opinion.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
sb272

Post by sb272 »

RW1 wrote:Yes, dealers. Although some independants can get hold of the downloads through other third party supportive means. Just depends whether the new release has been made available through that channel.

Your issue is to convince the dealer there is something wrong. They need to go beyond looking for fault codes. Not easy when there is no clue of a hard fault. And that is their time & costs which and they can't recover from VW(UK).

There is no specific Bulletin with the desciption you originally posted. As I wrote, there is a similar problem but not when stationary/crawling speed. Its a brief revving up when at speed, from overrun to accelerating again - "Delayed recognition of overrun/acceleration transistion in the gearbox contrl unit". But!, the circumstances that attribute to it, are being in a corner at speed.

As there is no direct fault or bulletin, they may charge you if VW (UK) do not agree to it being done. As it will most likely take a few minutes to download and then they need to test the Scirocco drives OK, so cost :shrug: 1 hrs minmum labour unit ?

Updates are only really done if...... either there is a general need (VW/dealer campaign) or a specific fault is identified and part of the "fix" is a controller firmware update. Otherwise the controllers are left alone as built. Not a matter of going in and saying "I want" ...... That equals you pay!

I suggest you get a second dealer opinion and see if they can find anything. After all, at the moment, you do not have hard evidence supporting your problem.... in their eyes. So changing the firmware standard is just clutching at straws. It may be something new that VW are not aware of and is affecting just a few DSGs.

If enough people take their 'R' DSG in with the problem, then there will be a reaction centrally. Many bulletins appear with their first issue stating "postpone repairs" which means VW centrally are investigating and anything the dealer does will not be re-funded. Eventually, a solution appears. So the costs of rectification under warranty can be refunded to the dealer for doing the work on proof the fault is confirmed.

C.
Thanks very much for all the above. I will try the dealer I first raised it with as see if I can demo the issue to them. If I can show it misbehaving I can then try to justify the update.

As well as the issue when driving very slowly I have had it once behave as you describe above as I was entering a roundabout with a left hand entry. I lifted briefly then put my foot back down, 3rd was displayed on the dash but when I applied the throttle the revs rose quickly and the car appeared to be in neutral. I lifted and then reapplied the throttle and it then behaved as it should. It could have made the entry to the roundabout interesting to say the least if I had made a bad choice or not seen a car already on the roundabout!
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

sb272 wrote:I have had it once behave as you describe above as I was entering a roundabout with a left hand entry. I lifted briefly then put my foot back down, 3rd was displayed on the dash but when I applied the throttle the revs rose quickly and the car appeared to be in neutral. I lifted and then reapplied the throttle and it then behaved as it should. It could have made the entry to the roundabout interesting to say the least if I had made a bad choice or not seen a car already on the roundabout!
Mention that with "Its a brief revving up when at speed, from overrun to accelerating again in a corner - "Delayed recognition of overrun/acceleration transistion in the gearbox contrl unit". " and quote 2024581.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
sb272

Post by sb272 »

Thanks again. I'll be working from home on Monday so will arrange to go to the dealers.
snapey

Post by snapey »

Managed to get any movement on this?
snapey

Post by snapey »

RW1, would you be able to confirm whether any updates are available for the following?

Part No SW: 02E 300 054 P HW: 02E 927 770 AL
Component: GSG DSG AG6 511 2604
Revision: 05351112 Serial number: 00001012182108
Shop #: WSC 00020 000 90108
VCID: 2341EBBF9B45

Luke.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Part No SW: 02E 300 057 J HW: 02E 927 770 AL
Component: GSG DSG AG6 511 2712
Revision: 05351112 Serial number: 00001012182108
Shop #: WSC 00020 000 90108
VCID: 2341EBBF9B45

As above applies. Update is relative to this topic and bulletin number.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
snapey

Post by snapey »

Much appreciated pal. Atleast I've now got some concrete.

I don't suppose you know if a test drive is involved post the update do you?

Luke.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

That will depend on the dealer just to make sure all is in order or they will leave that to you.. As its a random fault, so they ain't going spend much time with further investigation once updated, unless you return.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
BDG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Leather, heated seats, powered seats

Post by BDG »

I've had the same problem on my tdi 170 when slowing down on the motorway Managed to get a video of it - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Booked into dealers next week to investigate so will let you know how I get on.