Temporary loss of Drive - DSG (R)

Everything about the R for potential owners.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Temporary loss of Drive - DSG (R)

Post by RW1 »

BDG wrote:I've had the same problem on my tdi 170 when slowing down on the motorway Managed to get a video of it - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Booked into dealers next week to investigate so will let you know how I get on.
Scirocco has to be built pre Wk43/2010 for the above to apply... After that the ECU update is embedded in production.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
BDG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Leather, heated seats, powered seats

Post by BDG »

Car registered April 2011 so could have been built before wk43/2010. Is there a way of determining build date?
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Decode your build sticker http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/roccop ... ld_Sticker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

BDG wrote:I've had the same problem on my tdi 170 when slowing down on the motorway Managed to get a video of it - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Booked into dealers next week to investigate so will let you know how I get on.
Having now watched the video in more detail. This is not the same as OP's problem. His was similar but different at idle/crawl speed. Yours is at speed. Requires a different software update to the DSG.
Quote: TPI 2026959/2 - 24.01.12..

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
BDG

Post by BDG »

Thanks for the advice. Booked in next Fri so will let you know how I get on.
BDG

Post by BDG »

Just to update on this - took car to dealers in Liverpool and they said they couldn't find/replicate the fault. I told them about the video I had and the reference for the TP the rw1 had given me - they weren't interested and the lady who booked the car in said "the Internet can be a wonderful thing but can also contain lots of misleading information...."

About a week later the problem happened again, except this time I was entering a roundabout and a lorry was coming round - he was less than impressed when I started coasting infront of him and I thought I was going to be squashed!

I phoned the same garage and explained that the car was a bit of a death trap and they took it back straight away - this time they looked at the video and made a note of the TPI. I got it back next working day with the report that the TPI 2026959/2 does cover this problem and includes a software update that they had now uploaded. Been driving for about a month since problem free.

Thanks for your help rw1 and if anyone else has this problem then stand your ground with the garage and make sure they listen to you first time.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

:yes: :D

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
etotheip
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: leather, sunroof, parking sensors, 19s, nav, folding mirrors, dynaudio, cruise

Post by etotheip »

Just started to happen more regularly than previously
Still going strong =)
steve H
In: Rising Blue
Options: 19" Wheels Leather Sunroof Parking sensor Dynaudio Folding mirrors

Post by steve H »

Hi All,

Mine was registered April 10. Just had the the 2 year service done and the DSG software was updated by VW after I complained of this fault. I can notice the difference and no problems since. All done under warranty. The service department advised it was a known fault. Car has done 9600 miles.
etotheip
Options: leather, sunroof, parking sensors, 19s, nav, folding mirrors, dynaudio, cruise

Post by etotheip »

That's interesting as mine has done 8k
Still going strong =)
snapey

Post by snapey »

Finally got had this update applied at the dealer today and I can quite safely say that it's worked. The car no longer seems hesitant during cornering and drives as one would expect.

Thanks for the info C!

Luke
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

No probs. :yes:. Glad its solved it for you.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
nogara

Post by nogara »

Can anyone recommend a VW dealer in the UK who you would consider well versed in DSG issues?

Issue relates to the following comment in this section

"There is no specific Bulletin with the desciption you originally posted. As I wrote, there is a similar problem but not when stationary/crawling speed. Its a brief revving up when at speed, from overrun to accelerating again - "Delayed recognition of overrun/acceleration transistion in the gearbox contrl unit". But!, the circumstances that attribute to it, are being in a corner at speed".
snapey

Post by snapey »

The 6 speed DSG has been around for 9/10 years now, so I'd imagine most of them have a good understanding of the unit by now. Just print out the above and take it in, thats what I did and they updated the Firmware without any question.
nogara

Post by nogara »

snapey wrote:The 6 speed DSG has been around for 9/10 years now, so I'd imagine most of them have a good understanding of the unit by now. Just print out the above and take it in, thats what I did and they updated the Firmware without any question.
Thanks Snapey but unfortunatly they cannot even replicate the fault when driving it so they refuse to accept there is a fault.
I can do it every time I drive it so to be honest I have lost faith with my dealers ability to diagnose it despite it being on a PC connected to VW in Germany. They say all measurements are normal.

There are 2 problems

Issue 1. In D release footbrake, car starts to creep normally achieving 2-3mph all normal behaviour
gentle press on accelerator increases the engine speed but not the actual road speed. RPM can go from 900 to 1500 and no extra road speed is achieved.
A further very gentle press on the accelerator and you feel a slight clunk and then the drive is taken up and speed increases.

Issue 2. Is similar to what is described as going round a corner, apply throttle and similar happens, revs go up but no increase in speed.
Don't get me wrong it is not revving it's nuts of. For example going round a bend in 2nd say 10 MPH and 1300 RPM approximatly it does the same as in traffic as described above. A little more throttle and the clutch then seems to re-engage and the drive is taken up.

If I booted it all the time it is all ok. I can't do that in heavy traffic. I want to apply gentle throttle to keep pace with traffic, or driving in town turning left or right and these symptoms occur and it makes the car unpleasant to drive slowly. And no the solution is not to drive it hard.

I can't seem to get through to VW one simple point
After the simulation of a clutch has taken up the drive surely the clutch is either engaed or it is not engaged.
This seems too difficult for them to grasp.

What I need is a recommendation from forum members who could say take it to XYZ dealers because they are top notch with DSG.
This "Computer says no" mentality has removed any skills an alleged Master mechanic should have.

Can anyone recommend a dealer who actually has an interest in solving problems and is competent with DSG, and say why you recommend XYZ dealer?

Thanks in advance
snapey

Post by snapey »

Where about's are you located?

If your close to the East Midlands, I'll happily reset the box for you.

Although, it sounds more like mechatronics to me. Are you having any issues with the car lurching at low speed?
nogara

Post by nogara »

snapey wrote:Where about's are you located?

If your close to the East Midlands, I'll happily reset the box for you.

Although, it sounds more like mechatronics to me. Are you having any issues with the car lurching at low speed?
Thanks for the offer Snapey but the mechatronics has been changed and the software is the latest apparently.
But saying that there is still no fault they tell me. So why change the mechatronics.
Stabbing in the dark, thats what that was. (computer says naaawwooooo)

And no there is no lurching at low speed

Cheers
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

1) Can you get access to VCDS? Let's see what firmware is loaded in Controller - 02.

2) How's engine coolant level in the header tank? Is it dropping, even only a very small amount at a time? Monitor over the next few days by looking when the engine is stone cold and the Scirocco is parked exactly the same if you've not been looking.

3) Characteristic is also caused by worn valve controls in the mechatronics. Yours shouldn't be the case as its improved. What mileage has the Scirocco done?

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
etotheip

Post by etotheip »

Mine has been booked in (again) to sort this problem out as its getting repetitive
Still going strong =)
nogara

Post by nogara »

RW1 wrote:1) Can you get access to VCDS? Let's see what firmware is loaded in Controller - 02.

2) How's engine coolant level in the header tank? Is it dropping, even only a very small amount at a time? Monitor over the next few days by looking when the engine is stone cold and the Scirocco is parked exactly the same if you've not been looking.

3) Characteristic is also caused by worn valve controls in the mechatronics. Yours shouldn't be the case as its improved. What mileage has the Scirocco done?

C.
RW1
No access to VCDS
Coolant level ok
Mechatronics has been changed

If a recommendation is made by forum members re-a very competent dealer I will take it there and quote the overun to acceleration statement.
I do not hold up much hope as so far a recommendation has not been submitted. Maybe that says it all really about dealer back up/competence/and general overall lack of faith. :no: