Autocar R first drive

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Autocar R first drive

Post by Kev »

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/Fir ... -R/244610/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Should I buy one?

If you’re in the market for a good-looking, agile, genuinely rapid hot hatchback that will be easy to live with and hold its value, then yes.

The Scirocco R is an impressively good match for the Focus RS across B-roads, where its more pliable set-up compensates for the Ford’s mechanical limited-slip differential.

In simple terms, you won’t be noticeably slower anywhere in the VW, and you’ll be considerably more comfortable during everyday mileage. The interior feels far more premium than the Focus’s, too – enough to make the two cars’ similar pricing extremely uncomfortable for the Ford.

Is it the new daddy of mega-hot hatchbacks? On raw thrills alone, no. But as an overall package, the Scirocco R is some way clear of any rivals at this price point. And that includes the Focus RS.
martdy
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Re: Autocar R first drive

Post by martdy »

Well worth a look at the video thru that link.I Didn't think I wanted one - I do know ! Wonder what I could get for mine in part ex? :clap:
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

[youtube][/youtube]
LadyRocR
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: Dynaudio, Panoramic Roof, 19" alloys

Post by LadyRocR »

That video is fantastic! What a good review :clap:

Am MORE excited now-- and holding my breath that my order will be confirmed in 2 weeks :vibes:

LadyRocR
Atlantis
With a: Manual box
Options: Truffle Leather, Panoramic Sunroof, DAB, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Cruise Control, Tyre Pressure Indicator, Smoking Pack

Post by Atlantis »

Autoexpress have their review up now too:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews ... cco_r.html
Candy Monster
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

it has the same airbox and engine cover as an S3. that means that if you want aftermarket air system then you need a GT cover.
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

Bit misleading to say it's cheaper than the RS. Yes in basic price it is but once you add leather and DSG you're well past the RS which pretty much only has one or two options.
martdy
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

Found the new Top Gear mag on my doormat when I got home tonight.The cover says Megane :puke: RS v Focus RS v Scirocco R .It actually just contains features on the Roc R and the renault. A good read but not as high praise for the R as Autocar.Mind you it's written by Tom Ford............
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

i take journo write ups with a pinch of salt, especially haven bought a GT without a test, these are the guys who said the revo knuckle on the rs reduces torque steer anyone who has driven one knows that is not the case :eyepop:
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Candy Monster wrote:it has the same airbox and engine cover as an S3. that means that if you want aftermarket air system then you need a GT cover.
GT engine covers do not fit as tried it on a S3 when i was at revo, a few people make some after market ones, however you can cut them down :yes:
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2