Slight whistling/whooshing while boosting

Everything about the R for potential owners.
thewhiterider
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Pure White
With a: DSG box

Slight whistling/whooshing while boosting

Post by thewhiterider »

Hi everyone

Had my R for a week now and loving it, Was on my way into work this morning and noticed when it's boosting theres a slight whistle/intake type of noise. Not heard it all last week in the same conditions..just started happening this morning.

It's done 22000 and bog standard as far as I know. so just wondering if maybe the turbo is just beginning to break in, whether I have a boost leak.. Maybe even my air filter might have dislodged slightly because it does sound like it's coming from the front left hand of the car and an intake sort of sound although it's the standard air box .. I'm yet to check it out but I will have a look at the pipes make sure everything is secure, I'll check the filter..

Just a bit paranoid and I'm stuck in work so can't do anything right now..

Cheers
Paddylad
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Don’t know what was an option. It’s got 19” Cadiz alloys, black leather and infotainment system. All I know is it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Re: Slight whistling/whooshing while boosting

Post by Paddylad »

Going to ask exactly the same question. Had my car 6 weeks and normally drive very steady. Going ont the motorway and put my foot down and I also seem to get a funny whooshing noise. The car is running fine and has only done 15500 miles. This is the first VW I have had and just wondered if it was normal as well.
L Swifty
In: Candy White
Options: ► Black Leather Seats
► VW RNS-510 Navigation System
► Talladega Wheels in Black

Mods:
► H&R 35mm Lowering Springs
► Evoms Cold Air Intake
► Goodridge Braided Brake Hoses
► Stage 1 Custom Remap - 324BHP
► Forge PCV Delete

Post by L Swifty »

If you don’t get any loss of power this is normal for a Scirocco R, as these have bigger turbos than all the other model variants. R’s have K04 Turbos, all other models have a smaller K03. It will be a mixture of turbo spool noise and air getting pushed through the air filter.
thewhiterider
In: Pure White
With a: DSG box

Post by thewhiterider »

Not sure what mine was but it stopped after I took it to the garage.. Even though they said nothing was wrong and apparently they didn't do anything.

I'd check all the connections through the air intake into the turbo as mine did come loose a couple of times, could be a tiny hole where air is being sucked into
Paddylad
In: Deep Black
Options: Don’t know what was an option. It’s got 19” Cadiz alloys, black leather and infotainment system. All I know is it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Post by Paddylad »

Thanks for getting back to me. I will keep an eye on it. The car is still under warranty so I think I will take it in just to be on the safe side.