Thinking of buying an M2, thoughts?

Everything about the R for potential owners.
3t3p
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Thinking of buying an M2, thoughts?

Post by 3t3p »

I have my own thoughts already but wanted to see those of others on here.

I am going for the N55 lci M2, in manual.

Cheers
Zanic L3
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Stage 2, Catless DP, Milltek catback.

Re: Thinking of buying an M2, thoughts?

Post by Zanic L3 »

What about an RS3? Is it not cheaper? Cheaper in taxes 2.5 with 5 cylinders vs 3 liter inline 6? Also, it's quicker and 'easier' to drive.
There was an RS3 saloon next to me a couple of days ago and he totally smoked me (was pouring rain as well) and it sounds gorgeous. It also does offer more practicality
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

M2 are lvoely cars, GO to BMW and drive one to seal the deal
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Ex-member on here Wigit had one for a couple of years and seemed to like it. He's just chopped it in for a cayman 718S.

Not sure manual is the right choice for that car though.
3t3p
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

Not interested into the RS3 though I'm sure it's a great car.

Most reviews if you watch/read them DO recommend manual for the M2.

I have test driven a DCT M2 and as usual felt disconnected from the car and engine in general. It was easily liveable in town it's ride was firm but damping ok though the rear is bolted straight to the chassis so you feel the bumps in the back!

Tyre roar was above that of the Scirocco maybe 20% more.
Wish I liked the TTRS more and didn't look like an Audi TT still. ..oh and it was cheaper:D

Need a boot for a practical daily.
Zanic L3

Post by Zanic L3 »

Why not interested in an RS3? It's a car that I will be upgrading too in a few years.

It is very practical as you need a boot.
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

Zanic L3 wrote:Why not interested in an RS3? It's a car that I will be upgrading too in a few years.

It is very practical as you need a boot.
Its a lovely practical car, but it looks like a A3 sportsback. Nothing special looking about it.

Now a TTRS ... :D :D :D
3t3p

Post by 3t3p »

RS3 masks its speed too well, and leaves me cold in the looks department. It isn't reviewed as a car that rewards your driving but as with all Audi's is point and squirt. Yes constant traction is a good trait but not the be all and end all.

I wish I liked the golf R as I'd just get one of those and stage 2 it alas they leave me cold too.

Need a bit of flair/pizzazz in the car.
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

Alpine A110?
Cayman?

I have to say my TTS is plenty quick enough but I will admit an M2 is the better car.
3t3p

Post by 3t3p »

Needs to be able to do road trips and Ikea's and have odd person in the back now and then without chopping limbs off:)
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

I've had people in the back of my TTS :)
It's not tooooo bad for them!
The boot is much bigger than it looks. You just have to be careful with stuff that's high as it might hit the window.
3t3p

Post by 3t3p »

Deposit down on a manual 2016 M2:D
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

3t3p wrote:Deposit down on a manual 2016 M2:D
Nice!

I want pics and a review lol
Redpastyboy

Post by Redpastyboy »

Paradox1 wrote:
3t3p wrote:Deposit down on a manual 2016 M2:D
Nice!

I want pics and a review lol

Yes, would also like to hear your thoughts on the M2. When I decide to change, the M2 is definitely on the list
3t3p

Post by 3t3p »

My scirocco was actually written off, stereo stolen and wires cut, VW quoting insurers north of 10k to fix wiring loom. Sad way for the car to go but onto the M2

Looks: looks like an M2, in long beach blue a lot of compliments
Sound: Cold start is glorious, in comfort mode very quiet. On sport more run off burbles are let out. You can hear them with the sunroof open. With windows up/no sunroof they're only just audible. When you're on it in sport mode there is a nice engine note, sort of like watered down motorsport sort of noise, in this regard even though I loved the four pot in the R the M2 has it beat. You can't hear the turbo at all in the M2, a shame but I suppose the car's aim is to emulate an NA engine feel.

Road noise: Well well, the M2 is quiet. My GF and I think it may even be quieter on the motorway than the R. Normal conversation volume in the M2, I was expecting to feel like I was in a rock crusher! The M2 has MPSS on, the R had on PS4S so quality tyres all round. This was surprising but i'm happy with it, doesn't make distance a chore. No drone in comfort mode. Slight extra noise in cruising in sport mode, may be fake piped sound contributing to this however.
Speed: Its faster sure, it has to be. BUT, but, I am surprised how much the stage one R are would give it a run for it's money in-gear. The M2 chassis could easily take more power I feel without upsetting dynamics too much. The engine is smooooth, a real pleasure. Torque from the twinscroll turbo starts building properly at ~2200rpm from what I can see and feel, much lower than the 3k+ in the R. Day to day driving is a doddle with low down torque. Everyone is in the rear view mirror.

Handling: Steering feel is relatively inert, not numb but not all that tactful. What you do get is all the road imperfections and sideways knocks in to the wheel. The scirocco smooths these away so you don't have to deal with them. Much more engaging I find on a spirited drive, you really are keeping the car on the road, in an entertaining way. Passengers can feel this too.
It wants to and goes round corners, different league to the FWD R. To be expected. I thought the R had lateral grip, it does, but the M2 is a good wodge more, already have taken familiar corners faster than in the R and only have had the M2 since the weekend! Turning circle is decent enough/average and not bad.

Ride: Firm not harsh. Like the R I suppose in sport mode. You feel bumps but not jarring. By no means a soft ride however on the cruise on motorway has the refinement in the cabin of any luxury car, until you hit a bump! The car does not want to fling you into a ditch like some reviews have you believe, but don't be reckless, the back will jump a bit over fast dynamic up/down changes, its exciting for sure!

Misc: Rev match down-shifting, I am really growing to like this, excellent for late changes. It does it perfectly, every time. In comfort mode down shifts are auto-like but you're in a manual! It also adjusts for up-shifts, overall a very easy manual car to drive. The gearbox is not rubbery it is about twice as nice as the one in the R. The clutch is nice and light and have not especially noticed a high biting point or anything.

Road presence: About the same as the R so far, gets noticed at times but not too much. Have already had a chap let me out of my road when he was a fair distance off. No attempted races as of yet.

CONCLUSION: I was forced to change cars in the end (boohoo) but the M2 is like a cheeky accomplice egging you on to be naughty and rewards you for putting the effort in and generally makes you feel heroic in your driving. It is resolutely planted on the road, you feel the road and you must pilot it across it. Your heart rate is up, your palms are warm, you are wearing a stupid grin. Life is good.

Mods: Some planned...a sport cat for bit of power and sound, then mostly cosmetic stuff. Might look into driving the Litchfield M2 with the AST suspension package to compare ride compliance.
Zanic L3

Post by Zanic L3 »

Can you give more info about what happened to your R? Any pics? Sounds crazy. How did people actually do this (overnight)?
3t3p

Post by 3t3p »

Yes I caught the guy on my CCTV, I think he knew it was there but didn't care as he appeared to look at it a couple of times.

He started on my car at 6:36 am on a workday and was still in the vacinity at 06:50

He made a bee-line for my car, knew it was there. Opened the car without force in about 15s, must have had a scanner out of sight.
Was then in my car over ten mins. removed head unit by cutting wires. stole other possessions from car but no apparent attempt to steal the car.

Don't leave anything in your cars, he took my CDs and a packet of paracetamol!

Consider aftermarket ghost or other such security system, scary how easy it was for him to open the car up.