Buying an R/ Questions

Everything about the R for potential owners.
FLASH95

Buying an R/ Questions

Post by FLASH95 »

Hi all!

I'm going to buy myself and R at some point this year and just wanted to know people's overall thoughts on the car. I'm also surprised in the tax hike compared to rivals of this car £250-290?... but the insurance is cheaper for me by £500-600 over the cupra 290.

Besides a remap what would you guys recommend for mods?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Buying an R/ Questions

Post by Cuprabob »

I believe the reason for the difference in the tax is that the Cupra 290 uses the EA888 whereas the Scirocco R uses the older EA113 engine. Less efficient, more emissions.
rlw
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Post by rlw »

My wife bought an R in April - September 17 car. To say that I'm unimpressed is an understatement. Way too noisy - more than a 911 GT3 - and dog slow in D - too quick to change up - and too rabid in S - too slow to change up - and the ride is too hard - bouncier and harder than a 911 GT3.

It's lovely at speed on a French autoroute with a smooth, silent surface but, beyond that, I think it's over-rated. It doesn't need more power, just more sensible gear changing patterns.
RoccoTom
In: Indium Grey
Options: Cruise control
Auto folding mirrors
'R' side sill strips
Luxury mats

Post by RoccoTom »

rlw wrote:dog slow in D - too quick to change up - and too rabid in S - too slow to change up - It doesn't need more power, just more sensible gear changing patterns.
I agree with this sentiment entirely, which is why I went for the manual rather than DSG. I know there'll now be posts saying, 'But the DSG has the option of manual shifting', but it's not really the same. I'd also recommend NOT making any modifications - all it does is hike up your insurance and make your car just like all the other 'boy-racered' Rs. In time, I reckon the truly original, unmolested ones will command the highest values. But, then again, I think the car's great as it is - you may think otherwise. My only criticism of the car would be that the lack of 4WD is evident when you really want to put the power down.
3t3p
In: Viper Green
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

Amazing car highly underated IMO

The manual lets you really interact with the power from the engine