Fog Lamps - Question

Everything about the R for potential owners.
RoccoR
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise control,
power fold mirrors, LED puddle lights,
VW app. connect (Apple CarPlay),
full (blue) LED interior

Fog Lamps - Question

Post by RoccoR »

Hi there,

I have a new Scirocco R (18 plate), which I have only had for a month now. I'm loving the car. Previously I had a GTS version, which I traded in. On the GTS I had front and rear fog lamps and the lighting switch had two functions for fog lamps, pull once and the rear came on and pull again for the front (I may have it the wrong way round).

Anyway, I have just discovered today that my new R model doesn't have Front Fog Lamps, only Rear Fog Lamps. I assumed that the indicator lights doubled as fog lamps. The switch inside the car only pulls out one step and not again. There is also only a symbol on the switch for Rear Fog Lamps!

Does anyone know why this is?

It seems really strange to me and I assumed it was a legal requirement to have both Front and Rear fog lamps.

Any information much appreciated. Attached some pics to help illustrate what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

Imagefullsizeoutput_100f by Jonathan Freeman, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5127 by Jonathan Freeman, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5128 by Jonathan Freeman, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5130 by Jonathan Freeman, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_100c by Jonathan Freeman, on Flickr
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Fog Lamps - Question

Post by Cuprabob »

Only rear fog lamp(s) is a legal requirement.

VW do not fit front fog lamps to their R models, whether it be a Golf or a Scirocco.

Some say it's to.help with brake cooling but I think it's just an aesthetic choice to make the front look more aggressive. It could even be because R models have Xenons. Fact is nobody knows the definitive answer.

I must admit in my 7 years of Scirocco ownership, I can't remember the last time I actually used the front fog lights.
Mostic
I drive a: R-Line
In: Oryx White
Options: Let's wait until I start the mods :)

Post by Mostic »

I am planning to modify the R grill to install the fog lights in it.
I may use the GT front grill and merge it with the R grill.
Scirocco R Build! (Fun, Tough & Cost)
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=21372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MKV Build!
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your replies and explaining that to me, that’s put my mind at rest. I just couldn’t understand it, but if all Scirocco Rs don’t have them fitted then it must just be a design feature or something. I do like the daytime running lights though.

Thanks again :)
scirocco_r_me
Options: Indium Grey Metallic, DSG

Post by scirocco_r_me »

Hi RoccoR,
I just got my new R in Indium Grey, dsg: looks amazing in that colour ! Just to say i went through exact same thing as you regarding Front Fogs; particularly since the latest ( and probably last ) update of the Scirocco Brochure/Pricelist actually says that that the R is, " enhanced by LED daytime running lights set into the front bumper " and shows a photo of them....but of course these are the indicators ! Clearly an oversight but made me think something was wrong. All cleared up when i watched a Youtube video...or two.
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Thanks Scirocco_r_me for your reply. I hope you’re loving your car as much as I am :)

It really is a lovely colour - am so happy with it.
scirocco_r_me
Options: Indium Grey Metallic, DSG

Post by scirocco_r_me »

Hi Jon,
Thanks very much for the message...it wouldn't let me reply with a message...i think because i havn't posted enough yet. I got my R from Western aswell but had my local VW dealership intervene and they secured the car for me (for delivery charge and very small mark-up). Apparently, Western bought and registered a small fleet of Indium Grey, Standard spec cars (5 actually, i think ).

I've had many cars from Capitol VW in Merthyr Tydfil ( i'm about 10 miles from there btw, South Wales), they've always been excellent. I'm loving the car, how smooth and seemless it is in D mode and getting 36+ mpg whilst it is so fast in S mode and still get about 27 mpg.

They told me at Western that all the R's had standard spec; just interested to know how you have Cruise and electric folding mirrors...maybe it was a demonstrator, i'm not sure ? My car was still in the wraps with about 9 miles on the clock but still pre-registered in March like yours.

I had an amazing deal, as i'm sure you did also. I was always going to get one, maybe next year but lost track of time and was horrified when i found out production had ended ! But blessing in disguise, got lucky with this one. They will be much sort-after very soon i think.

Thanks for the message,

Regards,

Peter.
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I’m sending you a PM. If you’re still unable to reply via PM I would message the site administrator.

Regards,
Jon