Scirocco R "Resonator delete"

Everything about the R for potential owners.
LJChantler
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Scirocco R "Resonator delete"

Post by LJChantler »

Hi all,

Massive Scirocco fan here and after buying my first Rocco at the age of 19 (1.4 160ps) and spending every day after I sold it wishing I still had one, I decided to go all out and buy the R and I am in love with it...

I bought the car from a dealer up North and after having a bad experience with mechanical issues with my previous Scirocco, decided to take out their warranty that they offered.

I love the car but really want a little bit more noise from the exhaust without spending too much, which is why I am looking at getting the silencer cut out for a straight pipe, but I have a few questions....

-Could this void my warranty?

-Could it harm the car in any way? I assume not but just to be sure

-Does it matter which straight pipe I buy and would it be beneficial to spend more, or is it not necessary?

I'd really appreciate any advice I am given as I am new to modding and not very knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics etc....

Cheers guys.

Liam

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk
LHM
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Re: Scirocco R

Post by LHM »

Hi mate - resonator delete is only a small section of exhaust and a doddle to fit. As for warrenty voiding, it depends how arsy the dealer can be. If you are interested in a resonator delete I know a company (Progressive Parts) who do them (very high quality) and if theres enough interest they will develop one for the rocco R using my car as the test bed. Let me know if interested.
LJChantler

Re: Scirocco R "Resonator delete"

Post by LJChantler »

LHM wrote:Hi mate - resonator delete is only a small section of exhaust and a doddle to fit. As for warrenty voiding, it depends how arsy the dealer can be. If you are interested in a resonator delete I know a company (Progressive Parts) who do them (very high quality) and if theres enough interest they will develop one for the rocco R using my car as the test bed. Let me know if interested.
Cheers for the response.

Are you suggesting there is not a straight pipe available on the market specifically for the Scirocco atm? Does it even need to be specific?

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk
MuiroccoR
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Nothing yet. Planning few subtle mods soon.

Post by MuiroccoR »

There will be non resonated cat backs you can buy as for a resonator delete. The middle resonator is part of the back box system. And therefor the only real way to do a resonator delete without changing the back box is to get a custom exhaust builder to cut the resonator our and weld in a piece of straight pipe. Hope this helps.
Phil
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

MuiroccoR wrote:There will be non resonated cat backs you can buy as for a resonator delete. The middle resonator is part of the back box system. And therefor the only real way to do a resonator delete without changing the back box is to get a custom exhaust builder to cut the resonator our and weld in a piece of straight pipe. Hope this helps.
Not quite, there's two silencers on the stock system, the centre silencer (underneath the centre console if you like) is the one commonly cut out and replaced. Simple and very cheap mod with a noticeable improvement
Phil
Ben193
In: Candy White

Post by Ben193 »

Does the centre silencer delete make a difference to the DSG farts, I have done the flapper mod and am happy with the noise of mine but my DSG farts seem to disappear after second gear and in first and second are not that loud?
LJChantler

Re: Scirocco R "Resonator delete"

Post by LJChantler »

Ben193 wrote:Does the centre silencer delete make a difference to the DSG farts, I have done the flapper mod and am happy with the noise of mine but my DSG farts seem to disappear after second gear and in first and second are not that loud?
Hi mate, mines not a DSG, but if your thinking about doing this then DO IT!!! I had it done back end of last year and the result you get, with the money you have to spend, is unbelievable!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Ben193

Post by Ben193 »

Hi LJChantler,

Thanks i think i will be getting this done withing the next few weeks, Where are you based and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Ben193

Post by Ben193 »

Bump?
whatsisname
Options: APR Stage 2+

Post by whatsisname »

Upgrading the down pipe/dump pipe will make the biggest difference to the sound and aggressiveness of DSG shifts. Not only will it increase power and torque but the exhaust note becomes deeper and more aggressive under WOT and DSG shifts at full power. The upside is it won't cause unwanted drone under normal cruise, unlike a resonator delete.
Ben193

Post by Ben193 »

Thanks for the advise, Im not on the motorway to often so i am not to bothered about a little bit of drone every now and again, Im not wanting it to sound crazy just a bit more volume and for the to DSG burp through more gear than just 1st and second, 3rd when your really on it.
tim_s
In: Deep Black

Post by tim_s »

My mk3 r has had the centre box removed by a previous owner, it sounds ok but I'm not a massive fan and the wife and neighbours can hear it coming - it would be nice if it were less noisy when just pootling around. It was done pretty badly when I bought the car but I redid it using some 64mm (iirc) stainless pipe and some exhaust clips. At some point I'll be looking to refit the centre box I imagine...