SNOW!

Everything about the R for potential owners.
LJP1991
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box

SNOW!

Post by LJP1991 »

Whats everyone R's like in the snow?

I have Michellin Pilot Sport 4S fairly new (under 3000 miles) on all 4s and it is terrible! Slips on even the lightest covering of snow when trying to pull away with no power at all. Not even touching the accelorator and it struggles

Just wondered if this was normal, i Know the tyres I have are not winter tyres but they are good quality would of expected better.
LHM
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Re: SNOW!

Post by LHM »

so far I have been VERY impressed with my R in these conditions. I have Continental contisport 3's on the front and some crap unknown brand on the rear.
Delberthot
In: Candy White
Options: Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors

Post by Delberthot »

My one ihas probably been the best car in the snow I've owned. I've got brand new Falkens on the front and 7000 mile P Zeros on the back.

Apart from today - we've had that really powdery snow so you have a layer of compacted snow with the powdery stuff on top making it extra slippy.

If you take it easy and leave plenty of time for gentle braking then it's not really a big problem
Babajang
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box

Post by Babajang »

I think ive got PS4's on the front as well and yeah, absolutely terrible... scary actually.
paddyz1
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black

Post by paddyz1 »

Have the same tyres. Love them. Stick to the groung like shit to a blanket.
Having said that, wider tyres in snow are not as good as the thinner tyre (like 165 13 tor example) the wider don't dig in as much.
Also......its snow so it will slde.
3t3p
In: Viper Green
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

Good in the snow considering the relatively wide tyres I've found. Maybe go easier on it/adapt driving style?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Stejay21
In: Rising Blue

Post by Stejay21 »

Yeah I have the Continental Sport on mine and they were absolutely terrible in the snow, couldn’t even get home one night and so bad that I considered changing to an AWD car for next year Even test drove a Focus RS (which I thought would have been faster) but decided that investing in some winter tyres is the way to go :)