Headlights always on!!

Everything about the R for potential owners.
GJ10
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Headlights always on!!

Post by GJ10 »

Hi all, I'm a new Rocco R owner so forgive me if I'm being dumb. Ive browsed the forum for answers to my following question as I know it has been asked many a time but I believe what I've read relates to non xenon lights or pre FL models?I have a 64 plate with xenons auto lights/wipers, I picked it up earlier this week and I'm 100% sure that when it wasn't dark enough only the drl's were on, the xenons would activate at dusk as expected. I even saw them activate as I went through a tunnel! But as of today in daylight I have my main dipped beams constantly on. Am I missing something or some skemthing to change this? Any help would be much appreciated and sorry as I know this kind of question has been covered before.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Headlights always on!!

Post by Cuprabob »

Your dipped beams should not be on during daylight unless you have the switch on auto and one of the following conditions is met;
- Low ambient light
- Drive for a period at a speed in excess of around 80mph. I can't remember the exact speed.
- Wipers on Auto and lights come on after 4th continuous wipe
- Low winter sun, the lights come on to help with visibility incase other road users are blinded by the sun.

Only the DRLs should be on with switch set to "0" or ""auto" if none of the above conditions are met.
GJ10

Post by GJ10 »

Thanks for your reply. Yes that's what I would expect and I'm sure that up until today they have worked like you explained. I even have a video of the car a couple of days ago with just the drl's running. Its confused the hell out of me and I can't understand why it's happening! I don't want the headlights constantly on
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Are they even on when you switch them off by setting the switch to "0"?
GJ10

Post by GJ10 »

No only in 'auto', they will go off if I turn side lights on or then to '0'. They didn't come on when unlocking the car which made me think the car thought it wasn't dark enough to activate 'leaving home lights' but as soon the ignition is turned on with 'auto' selected the xenons turned on.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Something definitely not right there.
GJ10

Post by GJ10 »

That's my thoughts, bizarre how it has come from nowhere today! I'll monitor it tomorrow and see if it persists, . I'm guessing the sensor is on the back of the rear view mirror? Thanks for your help mate
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

GJ10 wrote:That's my thoughts, bizarre how it has come from nowhere today! I'll monitor it tomorrow and see if it persists, . I'm guessing the sensor is on the back of the rear view mirror? Thanks for your help mate
Yes, but you would expect if that was the issue the leaving home lights would come on when unlocking.
GJ10

Post by GJ10 »

Yes I agree. The car is under warranty until October so if it doesn't sort itself out I'll call VW. I wanted to check that it wasn't a permanent feature (similar to earlier models) and I wasn't being slightly thick before I go that route!
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

Light sensor broken is also an option
GJ10

Post by GJ10 »

Would you not expect the leaving home function to activate on unlocking if the sensor was broken?
Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

No if you dissconnect it, the leaving home also doest work.
GJ10

Post by GJ10 »

Ohh I understand what you mean, The leaving home function works when it is dark enough to be activated so it's not like this doesn't work. It doesn't activate during the 'daylight hours' when the xenons are on though which is strange.. So as far as I'm Aware the leaving/coming home function work fine. I can pull the full beam stalk while exiting the vehicle and the coming home function also works as expected.
Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

Sounds like the lightsensor is just fine. My car was also had the main beams always on, this was a coding setting what had to be changed with vcds.
GJ10

Post by GJ10 »

Did it! Did they just randomly turn on one time or were the my always on? I'm sure mine have just happened. Was the setting an error from the factory or had someone previously owned it and changed it? I'm guessing from
What your saying that it can be turned off via vcds anyway?
Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

They were always on from the beginning so different then what you are saying.
It was like a kind of safety feature from factory because not every car had drl.
Yes i turned the permanent low beam off in module 09 byte 11 bit 2. Maybe worth checking.
SciroccoEire
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Milltek Cat back , H&R Springs , Stage 1 Remap

Post by SciroccoEire »

My Dipped beams are always on when it is on the 'Auto' setting - Day or Night.

It's been like that since i have owned the car , i just assumed that was the way it worked.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

SciroccoEire wrote:My Dipped beams are always on when it is on the 'Auto' setting - Day or Night.

It's been like that since i have owned the car , i just assumed that was the way it worked.
If you have halogen headlights, then that's correct. If you have Xenon headlights, there are dedicated DRLs and as such the headlights operate as "normal"
SciroccoEire
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Milltek Cat back , H&R Springs , Stage 1 Remap

Post by SciroccoEire »

Cuprabob wrote:
SciroccoEire wrote:My Dipped beams are always on when it is on the 'Auto' setting - Day or Night.

If you have halogen headlights, then that's correct. If you have Xenon headlights, there are dedicated DRLs and as such the headlights operate as "normal"
Ah , spot on! Cheers! :) :yes:
unclejosh

Post by unclejosh »

Reviving old thread.
I found a lot of answers for turning off DRL.

However, i realised my Roc R’s DRL is not always on. it only turns on if i turn the knob to the right once. if it’s on auto, the DRL are off and will only come on together with the headlights.

Any idea?