Decisions

Everything about the R for potential owners.
lakeyy
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Decisions

Post by lakeyy »

May be in the wrong section but here goes.
read this but also bare in mind i used to have a bagged 2.0TSi Manual pre-face rocco a while back.

Hi all,

Ive recently just sold a MK5 R32 due to saving for a house but i only sold it to have a fresh start and clear myself of outgoings ready, so i wont acutally be purchasing a new car for about 6 months. However, my predicament is; i would like to have decided prior to those 6 months so i can read up about said decision, get info and know the cars etc.

Criteria;

The replacement will NOT be driven daily as i now have a work van including personal use
I do NOT want to spend a penny over £15k
I do NOT want to be looking at cars with over 70k miles on if possible
Recently drove a 370 Mazda 3 MPS and since its no longer a daily driven vehicle, fun must be a factor hah!

Ive narrowed it down a few times although i always end up switching up since i cant keep a valid decision. Yet.

Scirocco R - Ive had VAG's for the past 5 years, so i know them and have had a Scirocco but not the R so would be nice! (FWD 300+ HP being the concern, but interior and options keeping me interested)

Evo 8/9 - VERY different i know, but the fun to be had looks amazing and not to mention power! 4WD luring me in too since ive come from and S5, TTS and R32. (downers being older models, mine field to buy modded etc.)

BMW 535D - Having worked for BMW i know the turbo wastegates on these are made of playdough. However, comfort and wafting is what these do well which i like, upsides being 5 door, saloon's, high torque output. (Downs being DIESEL frown)

Any input will be great as i may have missed potential great cars!

Thanks,
Conor.

Again, i want any opinion anyone has, just aslong as the vehicle is under £15k.
@conorlake95 - Insta Progress.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Decisions

Post by Cuprabob »

You should have kept your MK5 R32.

Along with the Scirocco R, I would also have a look at the Seat Leon Cupra. You get more for your money.
lakeyy

Post by lakeyy »

Got rid of the R32 for reasons listed in the first post buddy, plus i want somthing with more spec and faster without spending £6k+ on a Supercharger for a mere 70-90bhp.
the only Leon i like the appearance of is the MK1, which is a bit old for my liking shame because you're right when you say you get more for your money!
Addymk2
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Post by Addymk2 »

Evos are holding there value exceptionally well and are easily the quickest cars on your list even before tuning.

But, keeping one on the road can cost a small fortune.

I'm assuming from your selection you need 4/5 seats?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
lakeyy

Post by lakeyy »

Addymk2 wrote:Evos are holding there value exceptionally well and are easily the quickest cars on your list even before tuning.

But, keeping one on the road can cost a small fortune.

I'm assuming from your selection you need 4/5 seats?

4/5 seats is not a requirement but im yet to think if a car i'd like with less than this.
im currently in the possibility of a career change too so i may not be getting a van after all..
Addymk2

Post by Addymk2 »

I'm going to throw 2 spanners into the works hopefully.

Have you considered a Renaultsport Megane? They're a cracking drive. More reliable than the evo and better to drive than anything else on your list.

Or... A Scoob, potentially a Type R Coupe, the values can only go one way and your budget would get you the cream of the current classic crop

lakeyy

Post by lakeyy »

Addymk2 wrote:I'm going to throw 2 spanners into the works hopefully.

Have you considered a Renaultsport Megane? They're a cracking drive. More reliable than the evo and better to drive than anything else on your list.

Or... A Scoob, potentially a Type R Coupe, the values can only go one way and your budget would get you the cream of the current classic crop

Sorry to absolutely shoot you down but i HATE meganes and scoobs haha! Type R's are okay but again i'd have to potentially supercharge to have some serious fun!
See why my decision is so limited now :cry:, im certain that ive either already had the car ill have again or thats it! potentially looking at S5's again, wouldnt have another TT and the Scirocco was my favourite car but im just scared about some review about the R's from various sources about pushing potentially 350bhp through the fronts :( especially after having Quattro/4 Motion!
Addymk2

Post by Addymk2 »

I meant impreza type r, but what the hey haha

I've got to say, I've always had more fun in a car that's struggled with the power as appose to one that gets it to the ground with no fuss

I'd rule the 535d out, because diesel and if you're anything like me, it would become pretty dull within a few months and you'll be looking elsewhere.

Which leaves the R, good to drive (not as good as the Megane) relatively comfortable and quick enough especially so with a map

If you've worked with BMW in the past, what's your take on 335/135i's? A mate of mines got a 135i and loves it to bits

lakeyy

Post by lakeyy »

Addymk2 wrote:I meant impreza type r, but what the hey haha

I've got to say, I've always had more fun in a car that's struggled with the power as appose to one that gets it to the ground with no fuss

I'd rule the 535d out, because diesel and if you're anything like me, it would become pretty dull within a few months and you'll be looking elsewhere.

Which leaves the R, good to drive (not as good as the Megane) relatively comfortable and quick enough especially so with a map

If you've worked with BMW in the past, what's your take on 335/135i's? A mate of mines got a 135i and loves it to bits

Ah my bad with the Type R [emoji23][emoji23] yeah i do like the 335/135's, but having worked on them day in day out i'd be looking for one with DCT transmission aswell as the CIC entertainment system, anything less i'd feel ripped off hahah! I suppose it could be a fairly strong option as ive not researched alot about them purchase wise, i know they can be a strong 400hp with minor supporting mods! But when you get that wastegate rattle [emoji389][emoji1423][emoji389][emoji1423]...

Yeah thats exactly my issue with the 535... diesel :(

Again with the R, gorgeous car but FWD [emoji30] had they produce a 4WD version i wouldnt have even needed to start this thread[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lakeyy

Post by lakeyy »

But then theres the question of S5 V8/V6T or E92 335i [emoji41]

Addymk2

Post by Addymk2 »

lakeyy wrote:But then theres the question of S5 V8/V6T or E92 335i [emoji41]

They are tidy, mixed reviews online mind you

lakeyy

Post by lakeyy »

Right, so ive narrowed it down in my mind,
im down to a 2010-2013 Audi S3 8P Sportback (5dr) same sort of power although Quattro...
either this or the Scirocco R Pre-Face.

If anyone can shed some light as to why i should/shouldn't buy either one i'd be grateful as im stumped.. Swaying more towards the S3 for Quattro however when i look at the interior of the R's i sway right back :shrug:

Thanks!
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

they are basically the same car, engine wise

Guess it boils down to cosmetics and if you want fwd or 4wd
Gaz82
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: 19" Talladega's, Panoramic Roof, Park Sensor's, Heated Leather, RNS510

Post by Gaz82 »

The S3 is the quicker car and has the potential to be even quicker with the AWD, whereas the R will struggle to put anymore power down. IMO unless your planning on doing track days, the R is more than quick enough for the road and is by far the better looking car.
Minch
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by Minch »

ED 30? same engine as the Scirocco R but you can pick one up for much cheaper leaving more for mods
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Minch wrote:ED 30? same engine as the Scirocco R but you can pick one up for much cheaper leaving more for mods
Just by coincidence, I happened to come across this earlier today.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... 08/7489105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;