Pads and Discs

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Tymondo
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

Pads and Discs

Post by Tymondo »

I have searched, researched and the rest but I thought I would ask the question here.

It won't be long and I will be running either stage 2 or 2+. I am planning on driving the car once or twice on the track and where safe spirited driving on the road and then the rest normal usage.

I can't afford a big brake kit so I m going to change the pads and discs.

Discs I was thinking MTEC Grooved. I have only come across 1 bad review where the discs have ripped up the pads. I fancied the grooved as I'm going to paint my calipers yellow. Can anyone recommend any other discs for a similar price or have opinions on MTEC's?

Pads I'm still undecided on. I see a lot of good reviews for the Ferodo DS2500's or Mintex m1144's. Again would love feedback if anyone has run these pads as some people mention squealing which wouldn't be ideal?
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Re: Pads and Discs

Post by Paradox1 »

Ive ran Mtec disks and Mintex pads before. was spot on for me and I did 2 track days. Dont forget to change your fluid aswell
Tymondo
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

Paradox1 wrote:Ive ran Mtec disks and Mintex pads before. was spot on for me and I did 2 track days. Dont forget to change your fluid aswell
What set up are you running at the moment? I will change the brake fluid at the same time. Any suggestions on that? Some people are suggesting using dot 5.1 as opposed to 4. Would i even notice a difference between the 2
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

If you are going to be Stage 2/+ so 350bhp you can afford £800 for decent 4 piston calipers and pads.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Tymondo
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

xjay1337 wrote:If you are going to be Stage 2/+ so 350bhp you can afford £800 for decent 4 piston calipers and pads.
I need pads and discs all round so it wont just be £800? Will the caliper use the same discs?

xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Yes you can.
TTRS Calipers around £250-£300 used (ebay or FB sites)
AKS Tuning carrier adaptors and braided brake lines to use 340mm TTS discs or 345mm R/R32/S3 discs £250
Discs for the front aprox £140 (I have mtec 340mm tts discs with black coating and J hooks they were about 160).
I use Project Mu pads which are £400 but you can get a range of pads from £45 cheapo Pagid types to £400+ racing pads. Let's take Mintex M1144 for around £140

So you have new upgraded front brakes for £850.

Obviously if you have to replace your rear brakes this will be another £130 or so on top. I just use grooved 310mm discs and OEM type pagid pads.

It's an excellent setup and well suited for fast road use trackdays.
Benny1703 on here has the same setup except he uses Mintex 1144 and I think r32 discs.
Only difference between TTS and R32 discs are that TTS discs are dual vented (on the hub side) and are lighter by about 1.2KG from memory (a big difference in unsprung weight).
click for build thread
Tymondo
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

Sounds good to me. Im not sure i can afford the calipers right now be looking but if its only the calipers and hoses i need to change then i may as well get the discs and pads and change the calipers when funds permit?

Having a look on MTEC's website it seems that for what you are suggesting to order MTEC1597 Grooved Brake Discs(Fronts) + MTEC1599 Grooved Brake Discs(Rears). Persumably i need to add Black Edition Protective Coating For 4 MTEC Brakes Performance Brake Discs (Black Edition 4 Discs) to the basket to get the discs coated?

Will get some Mintex M1144's for front and rear for the R as opposed to TTS? Also order some fluid at the same time if you have any recommendations.

Cheers for your help btw :yes:

xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Yes it's a big chunk of money

Yes I checked my last order

MTEC1597 C-HOOK BRAKE DISCSSKU: 6012947 1 £144.99
BLACK EDITION PROTECTIVE COATING FOR 2 MTEC BRAKES PERFORMANCE BRAKE DISCS (BLACK EDITION 2 DISCS)SKU: 5000105 1 £14.00

If you look around you can usually find a 10-20% discount code, last time I used "new10"

However you don't need the coating, it just stop the bells of the disc rusting, up to you if you want to spend the extra money.

You can get the TTS 340mm discs and fit them to your normal R calipers without any issues and still gain the benefits. You can also use the same discs on the TTRS calipers using the carrier adaptors from AKS, however it's always recommended to replace discs and pads in pairs if possible.

However the pads you buy for the R calipers won't fit the TTRS calipers when you come to buy them so bear that in mind.

But the caliper between the TTS and R are the same and you'll probably find the pads are the same manufacturer part number.

No worries :)
click for build thread
Tymondo
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

For the extra £15/£30 i would rather have rather rust free discs as i have seen someone complain about how quickly they deteriorate !

There seems to be loads of conflicting info regarding the size of the rear discs. I have always thought they are 310mm but the likes of GSF/MTEC etc seem to suggest 286/260mm? If i order the 310mm from MTEC which is what they are suggesting fits the TTS as opposed to the R then i should be ok?

mattyfitz
In: Candy White

Post by mattyfitz »

Rear disk size for the R is 310.
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Tymondo wrote:For the extra £15/£30 i would rather have rather rust free discs as i have seen someone complain about how quickly they deteriorate !

There seems to be loads of conflicting info regarding the size of the rear discs. I have always thought they are 310mm but the likes of GSF/MTEC etc seem to suggest 286/260mm? If i order the 310mm from MTEC which is what they are suggesting fits the TTS as opposed to the R then i should be ok?

They are 310mm.

MTEC1471
click for build thread
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

Tymondo wrote:
Paradox1 wrote:Ive ran Mtec disks and Mintex pads before. was spot on for me and I did 2 track days. Dont forget to change your fluid aswell
What set up are you running at the moment? I will change the brake fluid at the same time. Any suggestions on that? Some people are suggesting using dot 5.1 as opposed to 4. Would i even notice a difference between the 2
Im currently on stock brakes as a remap will be my final mod (hmmmm debatable)

Ive got some 4pot calipers from a touareg with 330mm disks. i'll be putting these on in a few weeks
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

It all depends on your driving still mate. If yoru stock brakes arent doing the job them your driving to fast on the road.

You could get grooved disks, decent pads, brake lines and a fluid change and that would be enough for the road.
also r32 calipers are an option. you just need to decide what is practical for you and your driving style
Phil
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Don't go nuts if you're only doing a 1 or 2 track days - there's no need for upgrading callipers, if anything it's probably a little over kill although it is the ideal setup. Just helped a friend upgrade his discs and pads on stock R callipers and they work fine! This includes upgraded lines too
Phil
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

I guess you are right Phil, but it depends on your driving ability and how late/hard you brake.

On some of my sessions I get vibration on braking due to discs getting too hot. (I need 2 piece discs really).
click for build thread
Tymondo
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

So i have ordered the Discs (MTEC1471) and (MTEC1597) with black coating. With the discount it come to £230.18.

Was just phoning up a few places as trying to source either the Ferodo DS2500's or Mintex m1144's is seemingly more difficult than i thought. Spoke with a few companies who swore blind Feredo have never produced the pads for the Scirocco R. Anyway moving on Demon-Tweeks are telling me the DS2500's for F+R's are £244 and Awesome are saying they are £331 for the same order.

Bit nervous about ordering the pads and either are reluctant to provide part numbers.

xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

You can have Ferodo DS2500 for the R calipers. I had some in my Dads Octavia.
Alex or Paul at AKS Tuning can supply the Mintex M1144s if you want. Call him on 01234 82 23 24
click for build thread
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I remember reading on another forum of a person who paid the extra for the coating and then complained that it wore off after a few stops. Worryingly, they thought the disc would stay black :-)
Tymondo
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

Cheers Jay i will give them a call.

Cuprabob they provide a picture on their website;

Im hoping thats how they look during use lol

xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

The coating is pretty durable. I have melted it during trackdays so if you do that type of driving you can eventually end up with rusty bits on your disc/bell but still worthwhile IMO.

I would be careful with the rears, don't leave the handbrake on until the brakes are properly sorted or are fully cooled.. Due to bias rears are not used much so will take a bit of time.

When we fitted my 310mm rears after an aggressive bedding in procedure (fitted new PMU pads and discs up front as well) the car was parked handbrake up.
When I went to leave the workshop 20 minutes later both rear wheels were locked and while we were able to salvage the discs, the pads were a write-off.... the coating was obviously hot and had melted into the pad!

Image20160503_175141 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Mtec issued a full refund for the discs and also covered the cost of new pads, their customer service was brilliant. Hence why I keep using them.
click for build thread