Soooooo. Torque Steer

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Grasscutter

Re: Soooooo. Torque Steer

Post by Grasscutter »

Deposit down! :)
Technane
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Post by Technane »

Nice what did you get/getting ?
Grasscutter

Post by Grasscutter »

Black 'R'. Doesn't have pano or dynaudio, but 2016 w/6K miles, Business Director's demo car.
Jake-w07
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White

Post by Jake-w07 »

Niceeee I went from mk4 r32 to preface scirocco r you won't regret it alot quicker and a nicer place to be inside. But you will miss that vr6 rumble I know do

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Grasscutter

Post by Grasscutter »

Is (may be?) the first car that I've owned with an auto box. On the pics, I can't see the paddles behind the wheel though?
Technane

Post by Technane »

From what I've read, a lot of people add paddle extensions so I assume they are quite short as stock, however, someone with DSG would need to comment.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Yes, the paddles are quite short but perfectly adequate. As said, you do get stick on extensions but most look naff in my humble opinion.
Addymk2
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
With a: DSG box

Post by Addymk2 »

Technane wrote:From what I've read, a lot of people add paddle extensions so I assume they are quite short as stock, however, someone with DSG would need to comment.
They're tiny. I've just had a pair delivered from China, went for bare alloy but wish I'd gone with black now! Might order a set in black considering they only set me back about £10.

It's a lot easier to find the paddle now when driving 'enthusiastically' and they feel nicer than the little round mounds of plastic.

I think they look alright to be honest.
Grasscutter

Post by Grasscutter »

I 'ave eet.

So: first thoughts. I must confess to being a little underwhelmed initially. Stay with me; when I first got into my Mk IV Golf R32, I was coming from a Mk2 G60 Edition 1. So the interior, whilst nice, was a little... spartan. I'd wanted a MkIV R32 since they'd been released and I'd saved up for the Mk IV, and got a loan to top it off in 2007, so it was *mine*. The interior was (to me) great. I felt like royalty! There was a sense of occasion. That didn't abate for some 6-12 months.

She has been my daily for 10 years, done 100K miles and not put a foot wrong. She's never let me down. Know how the car drives car inside out, what she was telling me about the road etc.

So, getting into my new R, although it was nice, lovely, new etc. because it was on PCP, it's not really 'mine'. I'm merely hiring it for a while. So I didn't get the same sense of accomplishment. Setting off, I felt a little detached from the whole affair. Sure, when I turned the wheel left, the car went left (as expected!) but it didn't really tell me that it was going left, if you follow. (Also don't know how wide it is yet :))

The best thing is, I love the look of it. The black colour (couldn't think of blue, as my Golf was DBP) fits it neatly, and gives it a sense of purpose. Mean-ness. YMMV ofc, but that's why I bought a black one :) So that's a solid place to start from. Picked it up on Saturday, drove it for a couple of hours back from Crewe, and this morning to work.

I've caught myself going to the window at home, just to look at it, sitting there looking quiet, reserved, purposeful. Latent energy waiting to be released. (Another good sign!)

The R is growing on me. The autobox is growing on me. Hopefully I will learn to dial into the car, and learn what it's telling me so I can be more involved in driving.

When pushing on hard, the steering goes a little light, and the car seems to squirm left/right a fraction. When I was overtaking up a hill and attacking the road quite aggressively, the steering went even lighter (physics is a bitch!) and the car started to become fairly unresponsive to steering input, and drifted around a bit, was quite disconcerting! Luckily the rate at which it gathers pace meant that I wasn't exposed in oncoming lane for long. That's the reason we have these powerful cars, right? So we only remain in danger for a short time ;)

tl;dr: I love its looks and am learning to slowly get into the car and feel sure that I will come to love driving it at least as much, if not more than the R32. :yes:
Last edited by Grasscutter on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Technane

Post by Technane »

Torque steer is the wheel going left or right under hard acceleration its something that can be adjusted with VCDS, there are some videos on youtube showing having this setting on and off, your floaty lack of response sounds more like loss of traction to me.
this is also common on the Roc,

Bear in mind as well you have just gone from an R32 which I believe is AWD to a ROC that is FWD you are going to notice a difference in stability.
Grasscutter

Post by Grasscutter »

You are correct - AWD instead of permanent 4WD (a la Subaru). I never got around to upgrading the Haldex, as by the time I was thinking about it, I don't think you could get hold the v2 of it easily where you could adjust the factory power transfer boundaries. Heard good things about the upgrade though.

I'm just going to take it easy for a while I think, as noted I still don't know how wide it is (which will change obvs) and still don't know it's handling limits.
Technane

Post by Technane »

I find the Rocco pretty wide to be honest, big boottied girl is what my GF calls it! when I'm trying to park it in a multi story,

but I'm very much like you in my CAR progression, I went from a MK4 Golf 1.8T, that was lowered had wider wheels and pretty much was planted to my rocco, in sport mode it does feel pretty planted, but then mines a TDI 140 so it's not going to be anywhere near as lively as your R
Grasscutter

Post by Grasscutter »

Yeh, the Mk IVs when breathed on handle like they on rails!

I am, however, getting a bit older and the ride was becoming too harsh. I want a bit more 'waft' in my life. Lol.
Technane

Post by Technane »

Yeah know what you mean. My mk4 died when the alternator went :( let a mate have it who now tracks it.

do miss that, most people assumed it was a tired old beasty but oh my god did they complain when I gave them some neck snapping acceleration!

I just love the lines of the Roc, do need to move to an R just need to maybe not have the 30 mile commute to work with! (fingers crossed for new job in the city)

more i drive it though more I love it! just needs a few more creature comforts