Expected tyre wear

Everything about the R for potential owners.
richandjo
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Expected tyre wear

Post by richandjo »

Hello, all

Am new to the forum, so please forgive me if this is a repeat question. Don't think it is, though.

I am considering having a brand new Scirocco R on contract and was trying to determine if a maintenance option (with replacement tyres) would be worth it.

Based on 12,000 miles per year over two years (and assuming that my driving style is 'enthusiastic'), do you think that I am likely to replace the tyres once or maybe twice (or more/less often)?

I suspect the fronts would get more wear (and may need changing more often than the rear as a result) but maybe you experienced folk could guide me, please.

This is for the newest R model (280).

Many thanks, in advance.

Richard
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Expected tyre wear

Post by Cuprabob »

It's really all down to driving style. Some people barely manage 10K out of a set of fronts and others can easily get over 20K in the same car. Use you previous driving experience and cars as a guide.

One thing to note is that on a maintenance contract they won't give the Ok to replace them until they get to 1.6mm whereas most people prefer to change them when they get below 3mm. Also you may be limited to what brand is fitted.
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

24k will probably be 1 pair of fronts only.

But how long is a piece of string, as Cuprabob says it can vary so much. I've got about 15k out of my Michelin PS4 so far, and they have a lot of tread left. Others only get 6-8k out of a pair of tyres.....

The brand of tyre can also matter as different tyres wear down differently.

It really is a question YOU need to make up for yourself.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

I managed 26K on my fronts and there was still 3mm left. I look after the tyres, keep the correct pressures etc and although I drive it enthusiastically, I respect it, no real hard stops, cornering or scampering off from traffic lights etc.
3t3p
In: Viper Green
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

its been wayyy better than I thought. don''t worry about it
richandjo
With a: DSG box

Post by richandjo »

Many thanks to all for your comments.

Very useful indeed. The maintenance contract seems pointless and expensive.

Best get this car ordered, methinks, as long as I can suss out whether the mirrors fold electrically; tight garage and all that!

Cheers, chaps.

Kind regards,

Richard
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Not sure about the current version but on the previous pre-facelift model electric folding mirrors were a relatively cheap cost option. They really don't fold in by much.
pokeiarda
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Viper Green
Options: Celtic tuning remap

Post by pokeiarda »

If you don't do it yourself (mirrors) look at hazzy days.
They retro fit genuine parts that vw say they can't fit. They did the cruise control and Bluetooth on mine. Probably have more work done with them too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Stejay21

Post by Stejay21 »

That’s interesting to note on the 1.6mm tyre maintenance contract requirement, also not being able to choose which tyre they use makes it seem more preferred to buy yourself.

I’ve just done 19k in mine and at the last service in January the front tyres were at 4.5mm (approx) and the rear at 5.5mm (approx). Note that I did swap them around at 10k. I’m hoping to get to 25k, so Aug/Sept before I need to replace them and with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports being replaced with the Pilot Sport 4S, will likely invest in these. Although, whilst discontinued, it appears that are still available online:

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/r ... 35/35/19/Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;: