Mods for 2014 Scirocco R 280hp

Everything about the R for potential owners.
adamkicks
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Cadiz Alloys, Vienna Leather, Cruise Control, Electric Foldable Mirrors, Panoramic Sunroof, Smoking Pack, Winter Pack, 90% Tinted Windows, Dynaudio

Mods for 2014 Scirocco R 280hp

Post by adamkicks »

Hi all,

I have a 2014 2.0 TSI Scirocco R 280hp that I've had since March 2015 and I think its about time I do several mods as I really love this car but want that bit more out of it! But unfortunately I am new to this modification scene and would appreciate some expert help :p

Induction kit - I've had a look around online and on this forum and there has been two that have stood out most, the revo 2.0 TSI induction kit and the Volkswagen Racing induction kit. The revo one is virtually half the price of the vwr one which suits my wallet a lot more but a lot of people recommend it. My only issue is that to me it looks as if the intake is not positioned in the best of places, I'm not a mechanic in any way so my opinion is probably rubbish but at first glance it doesn't look positioned the best. I like the vwr cai as it utilises the air intake that the standard air filter uses and i believe this should provide better results however, the ones I have seen have a couple of fittings connecting the intake to the engine whereas the revo seems as if it is a single pipe which I believe would not restrict the air flow as much, is this true?
Which out of these two cai's are better? Or is there any other cai's out there that will better suit my car?

Exhausts - I haven't looked around online a lot but I've seen a lot of high reviews on the forum about BCS. I'm wanting to get a better sound out of my exhaust without having the loud drones you hear in the likes of the little corsa drivers. :hyper: I'm just wanting to enhance the sound really. Any opinions on what would best suit this?

Stage 1 remap - looking on the forum revo seem good for a remap but I've seen that they are generic remaps and not built custom to the car. Is this a major issue? Is there any other better re mapping places out there that people could recommend?

Suspension - I'm not a massive fan of having the car slammed to the ground :rolleyes: , but I believe that the standard ride height of the scirocco is too high and it definitely needs to be lowered. Not sure how much I'd like to lower it, but any advice on what springs to get? And if I get new springs would it be worth changing the dampeners with it? I've heard H&R springs are good but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Brakes - I don't have a clue about any aftermarket brakes at all, Would the original brakes do with the stange 1 remap or would it be worth investing in some good brakes for when I ultimately get a stage 2 remap?

HPFP - I've read that when remapping the car it is worth upgraded this part, but again I don't know enough about it. Any advice on what HPFP would be best?

DV - I've read that the standard DV isn't the best in the scirocco and the GFB DV+ is meant to be decent. Is this true? Or is there better DV's out there for the car?

Also is there anything else I have missed? Like I've mentioned numerous times I am new to this scene so any help would be greatly appreciated. And any advice you guys could give would be brilliant!

Thanks a lot
Adam
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Re: Mods for 2014 Scirocco R 280hp

Post by Paradox1 »

Hello,

Im not sure if the TSI engine on in your rocco copies the EA113 chassis like the mk5/6 golf or if its the GEN 3 model like the mk7 Golf R.

Facts remain the same thought. Stage 1 doesnt need any mods but stage 2 you would need an induction kit, turboback exhuast and a front mount intercooler to keep things cool when driving hard. You cant go wrong with repacing your DV with a GFB+ valve. also check your PCV ontop of the engine. The newer models dont suffer from PCV failure as much as the older mk5 engines but its worth checking
Phil
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Firstly, should be looking at TFSI inductions as it's a TFSI engine not a tsi as the engine cover would have you think!

Inductions - On my R, I have the revo induction kit for TFSI, and its spot on. Depending on if you're chasing figures or not, this or the ramair oversized induction seem to be the best.

Exhausts - I would suggest BCS or Milltek. People love a moan about Milltek, but I've had 2 Millteks and 2 custom build exhausts by a company which everyone highly rates on the rocs I've owned, and milltek was hands down much better.

Remap - Revo, APR are your best bet, there is no better out of the two IMO. Its like the debates of android vs apple, xbox vs playstation etc. It's all down to personal choice. However I have recently had my R mapped by R-tech and as a previous revo fanboy, i'm sold on Live mapping.

Suspension - H&R or VWR if you just want springs. If coilovers then KW or ST, doesn't necessarily make the car slammed, I've got mine raised up to the max. Just more comfortable than previously owned H&Rs.

Brakes - Just upgrade your pads and Discs while provide sufficient stoppage without braking the bank, or upgrade to TTRS setup at a later date.

HPFP - only change if your going Stage 2 + which I peronsally would do at a later date after living with Stage 1 or 2 for a while.

DV- Yep GFB DV+ is the best

Additional things to think about - PCV delete or Catch can. Highly recommended, but don't just go for any old PCV delete, make sure you get a venting one unlike forge or revo. For stage 2 + you will need an intercooler, ideally you will want to replace the stock one but you can just go for a twintercooler for the purposes of the map. Twintercooler and replacing the stock with something like a S3 intercooler is also a good setup.
Phil
Maisonian
In: Candy White
Options: RNS 510 & Dynaudio Soundpack
19" Talladega Alloys (Gunmetal grey)
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
Kerscher CF Front Lip Spoiler
Maxton Designs CF under runners
Dectane Litec Smoked Rear Lights
Forge Twin-take Induction Kit
GFB DV+
Modified Audi TTs Engine cover & peripherals

Post by Maisonian »

I can definitely second Phil on the recommendation of the GFB DV+. Silly name, GREAT product!

Combine it with a decent performance intake and you'll notice a difference; even before mapping it makes everything just that bit more responsive.

I went for a Forge Twintake & im not disappointed in the slightest. VWR are probably the best regarded manufacturer for an intake on here, but it comes down to personal preference.
Scirocco R - Converting Petrol into Fun via the Wallet.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adamkicks
Options: 19" Cadiz Alloys, Vienna Leather, Cruise Control, Electric Foldable Mirrors, Panoramic Sunroof, Smoking Pack, Winter Pack, 90% Tinted Windows, Dynaudio

Post by adamkicks »

Cheers for the response guys!

Yeah I've always been confused with the engine, as the cover and the log book all state it is a TSI but when reading on here people have described theirs as a TFSI so I've never been 100% sure on what it is...

Yeah I've been looking a lot at the Revo induction and this looks the best to me due to have minimal joins in the pipework and with the high rated reviews on here. VWR is a close second and if it wasn't for the high price I might be more inclined to go that way.. But from looking on here there are a few induction kits that are highly rated so I surely can't go wrong depending on what I go for.

I've heard miltek are very good but that they are also very loud.. is this the case? And BCS do seem like they're the best bet for me, having great build quality and the noise ratings more with what I'm wanting.

Yeah I think if i was going to get a remap then live mapping will be the one I choose, I take it would be best to get the induction kit, exhaust and what not on first before the remap so they can map it with the new parts? Also I live in County Durham so where would the nearest R-Tech garage be for me?

So in your opinion coil overs would be better than just the springs alone?

Yeah I've been thinking of just upgrading them, but when i do go for the stage 2 or higher remap I might have to look in getting the TTRS brakes then.

Does changing the DV to the GFB DV+ make a big difference even at stock?

and I've just read about the PCV delete and the catch can today, don't know anything about it really but read that it's best to get them both done together? Is this true? Also, is this only done once the car is upgraded or stock?

Thank you all for the information everyone, it's a great help!

Any other mods inside or out that anyone has done that they recommend please let me know! :D

Thanks!!
spacewalker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Urano Grey

Post by spacewalker »

Good idea, I am with you
CCS via MFSW in 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8cBbe ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

adamkicks wrote:Cheers for the response guys!

I've heard miltek are very good but that they are also very loud.. is this the case? And BCS do seem like they're the best bet for me, having great build quality and the noise ratings more with what I'm wanting.

Yeah I think if i was going to get a remap then live mapping will be the one I choose, I take it would be best to get the induction kit, exhaust and what not on first before the remap so they can map it with the new parts? Also I live in County Durham so where would the nearest R-Tech garage be for me?

Yeah I've been thinking of just upgrading them, but when i do go for the stage 2 or higher remap I might have to look in getting the TTRS brakes then.

and I've just read about the PCV delete and the catch can today, don't know anything about it really but read that it's best to get them both done together? Is this true? Also, is this only done once the car is upgraded or stock?

Any other mods inside or out that anyone has done that they recommend please let me know! :D

Thanks!!
I agree the build quality of the BCS is second to none, I'm just a Milltek fan. It's intrusive, it's just right as a sports exhaust goes.

There's only one r-tech garage mate, but there are other live mapping firms (just be careful with who you choose!)

I've had springs and coils, and I prefer coils for comfort, but you do have to pay for the privilege and most of them don't work with you DCC

I wouldn't know about the DV+ at stock sadly, but yes its noticeable when remapped.

The PCV and catch can, it is better to get them together mainly as most pcv deletes don't vent, causing issues. However, there are pcv deletes which vent to atmosphere rather than to the can which will save you a few pennies.
Phil
adamkicks

Post by adamkicks »

Phil wrote:
adamkicks wrote:Cheers for the response guys!

Thanks!!
I agree the build quality of the BCS is second to none, I'm just a Milltek fan. It's intrusive, it's just right as a sports exhaust goes.

There's only one r-tech garage mate, but there are other live mapping firms (just be careful with who you choose!)

I've had springs and coils, and I prefer coils for comfort, but you do have to pay for the privilege and most of them don't work with you DCC

I wouldn't know about the DV+ at stock sadly, but yes its noticeable when remapped.

The PCV and catch can, it is better to get them together mainly as most pcv deletes don't vent, causing issues. However, there are pcv deletes which vent to atmosphere rather than to the can which will save you a few pennies.
Yeah each to their own I suppose! At heart I do want a nice loud sounding sports exhaust and the miltek look perfect for that, but my head is telling to be a bit more sensible and not get something that's too much and intrusive in the cabin.. So I'll probably be going BCS so thanks for that!

Oh right okay, well reviews from R-Tech sound really good and a lot of people rate them so I think if I was going to get a map id make the effort to go to them.

Oh brilliant thanks for the info on the springs/coils. With handling, does the super pro alloy wishbones help much? And are they worth their price?

Ah right, well at the price it is I suppose it's worth getting to try it and at least it is there for when I my car remapped.

Thanks for the info on the PCV and catch can info!

Sorry to keep asking questions, but is it worth getting new spark plugs? If so what would be the best in your opinion? I'm looking at some NGK iridium ones at the moment.
And is it worth getting new ignition coils? I've seen some red r8 ones that I like but again unsure what they're like at all!
Haha
Tymondo
With a: Manual box
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

The red coils provide no performance benefit at all. I think most people end up buying them because they are either cheaper than the OEM if they needed replacing or for looks as they are more aesthetically pleasing.

I've just put a VWR induction kit (which I highly recommend) in and because of that have no engine cover so I'm toying with the idea of buying the coils myself.

Yes to NGK plugs. They have 2 sets from memory (stage 2+ and under stage 2+)

GFB DV+ seems to do its job. That married with the VWR induction kit and a stage 1 APR remap really changed the car for me. Throttle response is greatly improved and the power too ofc.

I researched remaps for a long long time and as others have mentioned it's really a personal choice. For me I decided REVO or APR where best suited for me. You are in luck this weekend as it's 25% off so you could grab a bargain.

I'm going to keep my eye on this and see what you do with the exhaust as I've been toying with a milltek so I can go stage 2. It's a big investment though
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nige bcs
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by nige bcs »

Give me a shout when you're ready on the exhaust...
We developed the Powervalve system as a direct consequence of an owners dissatisfaction with the sound and fit of a well known brand...

The unique boost actuated variable tone design gives you total control of when you want to make people aware of the R's presence.
Multiple options to choose from in terms of sound and appearance.

Cheers
Nige
BCS Powervalve

adamkicks

Post by adamkicks »

Tymondo wrote:The red coils provide no performance benefit at all. I think most people end up buying them because they are either cheaper than the OEM if they needed replacing or for looks as they are more aesthetically pleasing.

I've just put a VWR induction kit (which I highly recommend) in and because of that have no engine cover so I'm toying with the idea of buying the coils myself.

Yes to NGK plugs. They have 2 sets from memory (stage 2+ and under stage 2+)

GFB DV+ seems to do its job. That married with the VWR induction kit and a stage 1 APR remap really changed the car for me. Throttle response is greatly improved and the power too ofc.

I researched remaps for a long long time and as others have mentioned it's really a personal choice. For me I decided REVO or APR where best suited for me. You are in luck this weekend as it's 25% off so you could grab a bargain.

I'm going to keep my eye on this and see what you do with the exhaust as I've been toying with a milltek so I can go stage 2. It's a big investment though
Ah thanks for the info on the coils, I take it then they don't really do a lot in terms of performance. I'll probably keep them stock or OEM if I do change them, as for aesthetic looks I'm lookin at getting an Audi TT-S engine cover, but I can't seem to find a uk dealer online haha.. I've looked on TPS website but they don't have an item in stock with the part no, so I think I'll have to venture down to an VAG dealer and speak to them in person.

This gives me a tough choice between revo and vwr! There seems to be a lot of high ratings for the both of them but only seems down to personal opinions on which is better! I'll have to have a good think before purchasing either one of them!

Yeah I've seen that they have the two sets, I think the colder ones are for stage 2+, Thanks for that, I think I'll look to get them next week!

Spot on! Thanks for the info on the GFB DV+. I'm looking to get that and the induction kit at the same time then go get the car remapped. And with the remapping I think I'll have to do what you've done and just have a good look around and research all the different types, call a few different garages and see what they can do for the car and then obviously choose my favourite from then! Thanks for that!

I think I'm looking down the BCS route definitely as after nige's comment I like the sound of their systems, and the pictures look good too! But I'll keep you informed in what route I go down definitely :D

Thanks for your help!!
adamkicks

Post by adamkicks »

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone could tell me why there's a lot of soot coming from my exhausts? Since I've had the car from new it's been like this and I've had it for 1 half years now. During its service I got a fuel additive put in to it which was meant to clean the engine and sort this out but it hasn't worked at all.

I've tried to upload a picture to show the difference between the two exhausts after I polished it up but I can't upload it from my phone due to the file size being too big.

But if anyone could give me any advice on to why it will be kicking out a lot of soot that would be brilliant thank you!
Phil

Post by Phil »

Very normal mate, may be more on one than the other due to the valve.

If you were closer nige, id have been there when i bought the car last year :D
Phil
Maisonian
In: Candy White
Options: RNS 510 & Dynaudio Soundpack
19" Talladega Alloys (Gunmetal grey)
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
Kerscher CF Front Lip Spoiler
Maxton Designs CF under runners
Dectane Litec Smoked Rear Lights
Forge Twin-take Induction Kit
GFB DV+
Modified Audi TTs Engine cover & peripherals

Post by Maisonian »

Yeah, if you have a cheeky peek under the backside of the car, you'll see that the stock exhaust has two exits on one side leading to a single tip, whereas the other has just a single.

Scirocco R - Converting Petrol into Fun via the Wallet.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adamkicks

Post by adamkicks »

Phil wrote:Very normal mate, may be more on one than the other due to the valve.

If you were closer nige, id have been there when i bought the car last year :D
Maisonian wrote:Yeah, if you have a cheeky peek under the backside of the car, you'll see that the stock exhaust has two exits on one side leading to a single tip, whereas the other has just a single.

Oh I do realise how the exhausts work, with only one tip being used during low revs and then on high revs the valve opens to allow the other tip to be used as well.. When I mentioned about the difference between the two exhaust tips I meant once I had polished one you could see how black it used to be due to the other tip being the same blackness as my car..

I'm just worried how black my exhausts get very quickly after a good clean, within a few days to a week of both tips being polished, they both start getting covered in black soot. This surely can't be normal or good?
Tymondo
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

It's fairly normal on performance cars. The more powerful the engine the worse it is.

My friend had a M3 and he used to polish his tips most days
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adamkicks

Post by adamkicks »

Tymondo wrote:It's fairly normal on performance cars. The more powerful the engine the worse it is.

My friend had a M3 and he used to polish his tips most days
Thanks Tymondo! I have had 3 cars before this one and none of the exhausts on all 3 cars ever went like that but they weren't performance cars so that's obviously why! Just worrying for worryings sake I believe haha!
Gary0000
In: Pure White

Post by Gary0000 »

Hi all what sort of power would you expect from a stage 1 remap?