6 month review of my R

Everything about the R for potential owners.
stevencrawford08
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Stock 2015 R, heated leather sat nav 19" alloys parking sensors r sills etc

6 month review of my R

Post by stevencrawford08 »

Disclaimer - This has probably all been covered but I just thought I'd review my new R and see if I can provide any helpful advice for owners/prospecting owners. I am also not a driving expert and my knowledge on the car is of a decent standard. Anyways, Enjoy!

I have done 5k miles and had the car for 6 months. It is a manual 2015 model with mostly stock options.

Driving - The car is loud and responsive in almost any gear. If you give it half throttle you will get the engine growling and the turbo starting to kick in. There are 3 modes on the Dynamic Chassis Control setting, Comfort, Normal and Sport. I find that comfort does exactly what it says on it, Really takes away the uneven surface on the Scottish roads and lets you relax. I think normal can feel just as comfortable but there is noticeable change in throttle etc. In sport mode (make sure it's a good quality bit of tarmac!) the car properly gets going, Stiffening the ride and it makes me desperate to put it in 3rd gear on those country stretches and let the engine sing up to 6000 rpm. It sounds properly good for the likes of a new turbo car. It also loves to wheelspin. A lot. The tyres, As with any car, Take a while to heat up and if you don't allow enough time then it can provide some entertaining experiences when trying to boot it from a standstill. However, Once things get going the grip can get very impressive and the standard xds differential does well to hold it down through the gears with only a little amount of torque steer compared to some of its rivals. Overall I really enjoy driving it and whilst not the most exciting of its class, For me it does what sports car should - encourage you to drive it and put a smile on your face!

Economy and living with it - The fuel economy is of a low/average level for a sports car. If you're like me, 23 years old and have a tendency to let your right foot sit on the floor, You will notice that you will average 20-25 mpg almost anywhere. If you do a lot of motorway cruising in it at 70mph, I have averaged 32mpg on most trips. Higher is achievable (turning off ac, heated seats and cruising below 70 etc) and I think the overall package is worth the fuel economy you get.
In terms of living with it, It's very comfortable and will seat 4 people of a fairly large build quite happily. The heated seats as standard can get very useful in the winter and really feel like a bonus. The climate control does well also and it's worth fiddling around with it until you get that perfect temperature. The boot space is also pretty good, You could quite easily do the whole family shop or fit things like BBQ sets, Camera equipment or golf clubs in it with no issues. I have never really experienced practicality issues which is a good point when driving a sports coupe.

Looks and styling - Although it's only a face-lift of the previous model, I swear this is one of the most head-turning cars that you can buy for around the £30k mark. Especially in a colour like the blue or green, I constantly get looks and people complimenting it from my work etc. With it's fairly low ride height, 19" alloys and sharp lines, In my opinion it looks simply amazing. It is also a rare car, Just like the previous gen, With most people opting for the Golf R. Also, It has a very racy look and most people see the led running lights and the sharp green object approach them in the rear view on the motorway and move out of the road! I have yet to find someone wanting to test the performance of my car with their own as it really looks the part, Apart from that one guy in a GTR of course! To put simply, I think it looks better than almost every car on the road unless you start paying serious sports car money.

To summarize, I love the way it looks the most, I am still enjoying driving it and I always opt for the premium fuel as the car makes you feel special :clap: . I would advise as well as giving it premium fuel to get yourself some auto sol metal polish and scouring pads to give the exhaust tips a regular clean along with your weekly wash as they tend to black up fairly quick under hard driving. Drop me any other suggestions here that also could help new owners and please correct me if you noticed anything wrong. Feel free to message me for any pictures or questions. Hope you found this useful and happy driving folks! :hyper:
Last edited by stevencrawford08 on Thu May 26, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indrid
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
Options: Piano black interior, Black badges, Rear wiper delete

Re: 6 month review of my R

Post by Indrid »

Nice review, helps solidify my want of an R after a while longer with the GT, the only thing Im not a fan of is the standard alloys :)
stevencrawford08
Options: Stock 2015 R, heated leather sat nav 19" alloys parking sensors r sills etc

Post by stevencrawford08 »

Hey thanks! bet the red gt is a blast. It's no wonder the scirocco has such a cult-like following, I'm yet to find a bad looking one :clap:

I would also add that the interior is right up there in terms of quality. It has a lovely layout as standard with the leather seats, Steering wheel and handbrake. The touch screen and steering wheel functions are also very easy to get used to and the Bluetooth system seems to work very well with both android and iphone. It definitely feels upmarket which is what one would expect within the price range. One last important thing I would add is price. Although mine is a lease deal (cheap I might add!) I'm noticing some 1 year old cars on AutoTrader from £23.5k second hand with very low miles which seems to be a great discount.
shrink
In: Rising Blue
Options: Dynaudio
19" Wheels
Folding Mirrors
Parking Sensors

Post by shrink »

echoes my sentiments with my recently purchased R. I was looking at Golf R's and hadn't considered a scirocco until I saw a super deal on a 1 owner, VW maintained car through a dealer. I snapped it up and couldn't be happier. I now look at the Golf R and find it an incredibly dull looking package, with none of the poise and glamour of the scirocco. I do however, wish, they'd hurry up and do an AWD scirocco as that would be a proper game changer in that market segment.

I mean c'mon, its based on the same platform as a mk5 Golf and shares many mounting points and parts with the audi TT, so theres no reason it shouldn't be able to be adapted into a 4x4 system!
J12tse
In: Pure White

Post by J12tse »

Mine too is 6 months old, white with 4K miles, have to agree with everything you have said, the wheel spin would be my only qualm and the way the rain pours in when you open your door! But the drive, style, looks etc is just fantastic, love it
Blackpearl
I drive a: R-Line
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Post by Blackpearl »

Yes tend to agree with most that is written.
I had my 2.0 TSI from new and to start with i was lucky to get 25mpg but as the years and miles went on the fuel economy got better, by the time i changed the car to the R-line i was getting 36 mpg.

I've had my R-line about 5 months now and i have a couple of queries that maybe members on here can help with.

1. On "occasions" i get a pale blue line,about half inch deep, across the top of the sat-nav map, which comes and goes ....anyone else had this.?
2. On my MFD the mileage is displayed in KPH even though all other settings are in imperial, i've been to settings, which all seem to be correct, everything is imperial, except on the MF Display, any ideas?
3. Should my car,late 2015, R-line 180 PS, have automatic dip, it shows how to set it in owners book,a blue headlight with the letter A along side, but it doesn't work, does this mean it was an optional extra.?

I would like to point out that i bought my car as an ex-demonstrator, so i didn't know the entire spec.

Thanks.
Cthejackal
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: DSG box

Post by Cthejackal »

Love my GT and agree that the R really needs AWD. It's literally the only reason my next car is not going to be a Scirocco R and instead a facelift S3.

Problem is I can't foresee VW having the Scirocco R upstaging the Golf R, as it's a flagship car. The only thing the Golf R has over the Rocco R at the moment is power and AWD. We live in hope though i guess
3t3p
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

I agree on the above even the MPG!
Get's looked at and people will talk to you about the car every now and then which is nice.

For some reason the scirocco R doesn't get particularly well reviewed but I think it's an amazing machine. 290L boot, four adults, fast, tons of grip.

I think steering could be geared higher as it takes many turns of the wheel to do anything!

Don't know what i'll replace with, maybe an M4 but in no hurry
mond2k
In: Pure White

Post by mond2k »

Iv had my R for year and a half, running 360bhp and i dont find issues with traction really. Ill lose traction in first but seeon i hit second it grips n takes off. My next mod is a TTe420 see around the 420+ mark.