General Mod Question

Everything about the R for potential owners.
stono
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro seats, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Car-Net, Electric Folding Mirrors

General Mod Question

Post by stono »

Hey Guys,
Had my Scirocco R (Facelift, 280ps) 6 months now and have got to the point I want to start modding it.
Typically, the first thing I do with a car is a remap but I'm hesitant because I personally find it already struggles to put the power down (and to be honest, it's quick enough).

So; very broad question here but with £2k to spend, what mods would people prioritise? I'd like it to sound a little meatier, and if there was anything I could do to help the grip situation I'd be game for that too.

Thoughts?
Karl :)
Psycho Kirky
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Re: General Mod Question

Post by Psycho Kirky »

One possible thing to look at would be to put a Limited Slip Differential in the gearbox which helps to avoid unwanted wheel spin greatly. This would benefit a good remap on the R im sure of it. Its great in my 2.0 tsi I have the Quaife LSD :D

You would need to know the gearbox number/code to make sure the LSD would fit properly

Sent Via tapatalk
stono
Options: Recaro seats, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Car-Net, Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by stono »

Hey
Thanks for the reply. It's my understanding that the LSD is going to help power delivery imbalance between the two wheels, ie out of corners, torque steering etc.

That's good but where I find the the R struggles is that initial 10/15 mph. Feels like it just needs slightly wider tyres haha!

Anything else?
Viking
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
Options: None

Post by Viking »

stono wrote:Hey
Thanks for the reply. It's my understanding that the LSD is going to help power delivery imbalance between the two wheels, ie out of corners, torque steering etc.

That's good but where I find the the R struggles is that initial 10/15 mph. Feels like it just needs slightly wider tyres haha!

Anything else?
That's where I'd look. Tyres. Not perhaps wider, but better grip characteristics.
Psycho Kirky
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

Yes good tyres will make a difference, possibly uprated engine mount, transmission mount and the torque mount (an insert can be purchased for around £35 and is easy to fit). This should help stop the engine from moving and help the power get to the wheels/road better.

Sent Via tapatalk
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

Psycho Kirky wrote:One possible thing to look at would be to put a Limited Slip Differential in the gearbox which helps to avoid unwanted wheel spin greatly. This would benefit a good remap on the R im sure of it. Its great in my 2.0 tsi I have the Quaife LSD :D

You would need to know the gearbox number/code to make sure the LSD would fit properly

Sent Via tapatalk
Kirky I didn't know you had a diff...

Demonstration please :D
stono

Post by stono »

Cheers for your replies guys.
I'm reading mixed things when it comes to off the shelf remaps vs custom, can anyone recommend a good dealer, ideally NW, that does custom remaps for the R.
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

Stono - Custom map is always better as it's specific to (Your car) only. Saying that though, if your car is bone stock and you just want a remap, then a generic map is be enough.
Generic remap vendors - Statlers in Sheffield I think, Awesome GTI in Manchester
Custom Remap - Rtech in Hinckley near Birmingham, Statlers or Unicorn motor developments in manchester
mvb12
In: Pure White

Post by mvb12 »

I find it hard to believe with 280hp from factory the power is hard to put down.

You driving bonkers in the wet or something? :lol:
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

My last car with 240 was stupid in the raise. youd literally have to drive like miss daisy!!

If you go for a custom map, you have to option of aiding for traction and also linear throttle mapping to help with driveability

Nobody want to look like that knob wheelspinning everytime they pull off
stono

Post by stono »

mvb12 wrote:I find it hard to believe with 280hp from factory the power is hard to put down.

You driving bonkers in the wet or something? :lol:
I've actually noticed (and I don't know if its just placebo) i get a lot better traction of the mark with DCS in sport, if i leave it in auto or comfort my suspicion is the suspension is too soft and the power shifts the weight to the back more easily.