Remap - potential MPG gains?

Everything about the R for potential owners.
shrink
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Dynaudio
19" Wheels
Folding Mirrors
Parking Sensors

Remap - potential MPG gains?

Post by shrink »

So as some of you will know, I'm new to the world of Roc ownership and I'm hugely enjoying my R!

However, a change in personal circumstances means I'm likely to need something just a tiny little bit more economical.

My last long motorway trip, I took it VERY easy on the roc, and drove between 65-70 most of the way, very gentle throttle, and absolutely no flooring it at any point. I was barely able to squeeze 34mpg out of the car. While not a problem in itself, I need a car that's capable of at least 36-37mpg on longer trips to make future plans feasible.

Would a remap offer any likely gains in MPG when driving gently? e.g. cruise control at 70mph. Would 3-4mpg be in any way likely?

Would appreciate the input of users who have gone through this process.

I don't mind worse economy when I'm hoofing the car around at weekends, and for short trips in town. I'm more worried about being able to get high 30's on a long motorway run!
Boydie
In: Viper Green
Options: Cloth R Logo Sports Seats
Dynaudio sound system
RCD510 touch screen
Xenons with coming home function
Footwell lights
Media Pack
Privacy Glass
FBMFSW

Re: Remap - potential MPG gains?

Post by Boydie »

Very doubtful

If you drive like a granny you may get a few points here and there due to the increase toque figures produced by the map but ultimately thats not what you tune your car for

With the price of fuel these days and 34mpg in a R I would be laughing all day :)
Boydie
Options: Cloth R Logo Sports Seats
Dynaudio sound system
RCD510 touch screen
Xenons with coming home function
Footwell lights
Media Pack
Privacy Glass
FBMFSW

Post by Boydie »

In my 8P S3 with Revo 2+ around 370bhp my car was between 27-30mpg which was awesome

Now in my R with standard power I would be in around the same to be honest and probably less now since I have moved house and more centrally based with lots of stop starts :(
shrink
19" Wheels
Folding Mirrors
Parking Sensors

Post by shrink »

The issue for me is a new job that gives a car allowance but only pays 12p per mile. To break even on mileage I'd need to average around 35mpg on business trips.

Hence why anything to make the R a couple of points higher up would be awesome!
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

I think saving the money for the remap and spend it on fuel is better when break even is only such low mpg difference.
Richrush
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Richrush »

Hi, I've managed 40mpg on a trip. The key is to drive no faster than 60mph. It seems that big bumper at the front is hard to push though the air! The most economical speed is about 40 - 50 mph in 6 th gear, well that's what I found. Must say that 40mpg trip was very boring and not what the R's all about.

As others have said, save the money from a remap and put that towards your fuel bill.
shrink
19" Wheels
Folding Mirrors
Parking Sensors

Post by shrink »

I don't think aerodynamics are the issue

More that the scirocco is very low geared and sits at pretty much 3000rpm at 70mph! That's very high and is already above the peak torque point of the motor so is starting to use a fair bit of turbo.

All makes it far too thirsty at motorway speed. Id guess at 60 it'll be revving much lower and use a hell of a lot less fuel.

Add in the rotational mass of 19" wheels, and the friction of 235 wide sports oriented tyres and it's all a recipe for piss poor economy!

I actually find the R really quite frugal in town and on A roads as a result. It's just the long range cruise where it disappoints. They needed to make 6th a much longer gear!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

shrink wrote:The issue for me is a new job that gives a car allowance but only pays 12p per mile.
You may be able to claim tax relief on the difference between the HMRC 45p rate allowed and the 12p for the first 10K miles per annum.
shrink
19" Wheels
Folding Mirrors
Parking Sensors

Post by shrink »

They provide a basic car allowance on top
Of mileage. That's why mileage is pretty low.
3t3p
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

frugal in town ?! wtf
it's the opposite and that makes sense

low 20's in town driving 30-32mpg on motorway cruises
shrink
19" Wheels
Folding Mirrors
Parking Sensors

Post by shrink »

That's my point though, for the performance level 23mpg in town is really quite good. I rarely got better from much smaller engineer cars. And even my old a4 diesel couldn't do much better than high 20's in town.

But on the motorway this engine is disproportionately thirsty. Mostly as a result of stupid gearing. There's more than enough power on tap to hold 70mph from as little as 1200-1500rpm. There's just no need to have it screaming along at 3000rpm on the motorway.

Tbh that's my only quibble with an otherwise outstanding car
Viking
Options: None

Post by Viking »

shrink wrote:The issue for me is a new job that gives a car allowance but only pays 12p per mile. To break even on mileage I'd need to average around 35mpg on business trips.

Hence why anything to make the R a couple of points higher up would be awesome!
Simply claim the rest of the 45p per mile tax allowance from the government.
shrink
19" Wheels
Folding Mirrors
Parking Sensors

Post by shrink »

Can you do that on cars above certain co2 level?
Viking

Post by Viking »

45p per mile for the first 10000 miles is the government figure. I don't think it's relevant to the engine size and co2 emissions as that's more for the company car tax and Benefit In Kind issue. I'd look into this first of all before you start spending money trying to squeeze a few mpg out of the car, and spending more money on a remap that you're ever likely to save in fuel costs.
Viking

Post by Viking »

Oh, and after 10000 miles you can claim 25p per mile.
3t3p
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

I see what you mean then about town being relatively ok.

Definately agree, to do 85mph you're looking at 3,250rpm!

No idea why sixth is so short, they could have left all the other gears one to five as they are for rapid progress but make sixth uber long.

I actually reckon the scirocco is pretty aerodynamic, it's quiet inside and very curvy, which below subsonic speeds is what you want. Sharp points are actually detrimental to aerodynamics below the speed of sound. Think thrust SSC vs Bugatti Veyron.

Mate's M235i has 8 gear auto box, he cruises on motorway at 2000rpm!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Viking wrote:45p per mile for the first 10000 miles is the government figure. I don't think it's relevant to the engine size and co2 emissions as that's more for the company car tax and Benefit In Kind issue. I'd look into this first of all before you start spending money trying to squeeze a few mpg out of the car, and spending more money on a remap that you're ever likely to save in fuel costs.
As I understand it, you can't claim the difference, only the tax on the difference.
Viking

Post by Viking »

You can claim the difference but it's refunded as a tax deduction or rebate.
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Roy_01 wrote:I think saving the money for the remap and spend it on fuel is better when break even is only such low mpg difference.
^^^ this - especially with low pump prices atm.